View Full Version : From Illinois to India - helping my hair cope with humidity

samanthaj08
November 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Last year I went to India for a couple of weeks and my hair was a nightmare. Perhaps the shock of humidity (Mumbai area).

This year I'm going for almost a month so it isn't something I'm willing to just deal with for such a long period of time.

I've been reading about the Living Proof line (http://www.livingproof.com/no-frizz/#system) and was wondering if any of you have experience with it or with any other frizz killing products or methods.

Current routine - tresemme curl hydration for shampoo and conditioner once a week and the typical coconuting for a few hours prior

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this :)

DweamGoiL
November 6th, 2013, 09:57 AM
My hair is pretty reactive to humidity, but I think any hair with any real texture just is (curly, wavy, etc.) I don't know how bad the humidity is in India, but when I travel to places where it's really humid, we go to Florida 1-2 times/year, I tend to gel my hair straight out of the shower and combine some of the gel with a light coating of coconut oil. I don't like gels with hold so I will either use plain Aloe Vera Gel or a light gel from the DevaCurl line. I use Monoi Oil instead of unrefined coconut oil, but it's basically the same thing. I put this on my whole head. It dries wavy for me, but it doesn't look dry and frizzy the whole time and it stays soft. In order to activate the waves again, I may have to mist my hair the next day, sometimes add a little bit more oil, and wash about 2 times per week.

GeoJ
November 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I live in a humid place (FL), and I have visited India for a few month long trips (my DH is from India). What works for me is to use plenty of coconut oil and then keep my hair in updos. If I oil my hair immediately after washing, and then bun or braid my hair for contained slow drying, my hair will be much smoother.

Regular shampoo & conditioner alone leave my hair a frizzy poofball in humid places.

samanthaj08
November 6th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Seems the consensus is using some sort of leave in mixture. Thanks guys :)

I live in a humid place (FL), and I have visited India for a few month long trips (my DH is from India). What works for me is to use plenty of coconut oil and then keep my hair in updos. If I oil my hair immediately after washing, and then bun or braid my hair for contained slow drying, my hair will be much smoother.

Regular shampoo & conditioner alone leave my hair a frizzy poofball in humid places.

Yay! Even I'm meeting my boyfriend there :D How did you guys meet? (if you don't mind me asking)