PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna cry, had to cut it all off tonight thanks to breakage

Scelesta
November 6th, 2013, 06:49 AM
was brushing out my hair to put it up before bed(it will tangle badly if I don't brush it) and a largish noticeable chunk of my hair broke off. In my frustration I grabbed the shears and hacked it all off, i admit i wasnt exactly thinking straight, i'm tired, and was mad at the damage I'd done to my hair, damage that couldn't be fixed. I did keep my bangs though since they are not as damaged as the rest of my hair.My hair was so damaged that even though the curls the other day looked pretty it was all thanks to product. My hair had stopped growing(my roots were coming in but the rate my hair broke off equaled the growth, so I was gaining no length for at least the last 5 months. I know this cause I looked back over pictures I'd taken over the last few months and noticed my hair hadn't changed length at all o0 ) It was heat fried, bleached fried(I bleached my hair 10 times this year, along with multiple dyes, and of course frequent HIGH heat straightening) My hair was just a mess.

I'm so upset, I have it wrapped in a scarf so I dont have to look at it, I do not have the money to go to a salon and get it fixed to look better :( In two weeks when I have the money I'm going to get it fixed to look nicer and buy a wig to wear when I go out,while it grows out cause I think I look like crap with short hair. I just bought a pretty hair stick last night too, but i guess i now have something pretty for when it grows back out :)

The ONLY upside to this is the hair thats on my head now is soooo soft and silky...I'm not going to dye it, bleach it or put heat on it ever again! Luckily my hair grows pretty fast...

My hair was Shoulder length now its well this mess : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/haircut_zps931e0a79.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/haircut_zps931e0a79.jpg.html)

Man my husband is going to be shocked...he's still asleep and has no idea I cut my hair.

antler_tines
November 6th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Well when it does grown back most of it will be healthy and maybe your pretty curls will be prettier than ever even without a lot of product :) there are plenty of threads for people with curly hair!

Scelesta
November 6th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Well when it does grown back most of it will be healthy and maybe your pretty curls will be prettier than ever even without a lot of product :) there are plenty of threads for people with curly hair!

Thats what I'm looking foward to, it growing back nice and healthy, and I can look up how to handle curls the right way, i'm hoping that my natural curls(untainted by damage) are easier to manage :)

maborosi
November 6th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I know your pain, Scelesta. Last February, I hacked of my WL hair to a bob. It turned out to be a really good thing for my hair. I've had a chance to regrow it with everything I've learned from here.
It looks way better now than it did last time it was at this length.

Your hair'll definitely be easier to manage without so much damage to it! Your curls will look really beautiful. :)

~maborosi~

TiaKitty
November 6th, 2013, 07:14 AM
:comfort:

Find some cute winter hats and maybe a cheap scarf or two and make the most of it!

Kaelee
November 6th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I agree with cute hats. :agree:

Your hair will be better off for having done this, in the long run. Until then, I would go to a cheap place (supercuts or something) where you can get a haircut usually for under $15 and have them turn it into something a bit nicer looking.

browneyedsusan
November 6th, 2013, 07:45 AM
It doesn't look as horrible as you imagine.

Once you quit bleaching and heat, it will grow back out. When I was in college--a LONG time ago--, I permed my hair every 3 months, blew it dry, and heat styled it daily. It never grew past my shoulders. After I had kids, and pixied, I colored monthly, but didn't need to heat style because it was so short. My hair stayed nice then, but I got maintenance haircuts every 6 weeks, so damage was trimmed off. (Also, I got lots of positive attention with the pixie. I liked that so much that I wore it a really long time!)

Growing a pixie isn't easy, but you can do it. You can use veggie dyes or deposit only color without damage, and if you want it red until you're dead; henna is your new BFF! It will be okay, my pixied sister. By Valentine's Day, it will be down over your ears. Stick to your guns, and get-r-done! :grouphug:

ositarosita
November 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I did the exact same thing about years ago ... it was THE BEST thing I ever could have done for myself and for my hair. .. I know that right now it's a huge shock and devastating .. but you will see soo much growth so fast.

Almendra
November 6th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Don't worry. It's a new beginning for your hair. Now for sure you'll be more cautious and cut off the chemical treatments. Your hair will be prettier than ever and will grow faster, don't freak out, just be patient :)
Is that blond in your roots your natural color? I think it's really pretty :)

truepeacenik
November 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Go read a blog called igor's bell tower. It's a 10 year and beyond journey from bald (not pixie, bald- chrome domed) to knee.

im imagining how quickly you will see results from a good diet, good habits, and yes, a half inch really shows above shoulder. Think of it as percentage of length, and compare it to the snails pace of longer hair.

I'd do a protein treatment and deep condition it for now.

Soltimus
November 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I did that once! Just cut it off because I got mad (not at the hair, actually, just had a seriously bad, baaaaaaaad moment there). I think I wore a scarf for about 4 months, ha ha. Anyway, that was about the time I then decided I was going to try to just let it grow. It's fun following the process from when the hair is so short, and not a complete mess from whatever you've put it through up until that day. Go nuts and experiment will all kinds of different kinds of awesome haircare!

ExpectoPatronum
November 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I'm sure it's going to be absolutely gorgeous when it grows out. This is a fresh start in the hair growing journey. You have the opportunity to really care for your hair from the beginning. I wish I had the guts to cut my hair that short.

I third the idea of wearing cute hats. :)

caren
November 6th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Three years ago, around this same time, I chopped off my long dreadlocks in a midnight fit of frustration, so I feel you, sister. I looked like I had mange for a few weeks until I even had enough length to get to a cheap hairdresser!
I took good care of of my new babies, though, and tried to forget them in a haze of hats. headbands, and benign neglect...and embraced the "spiky, messy look". Now, I am just an inch or two from BSL, and I am really happy with my hair.
You've got this. Consider it an investment in future hair.

Shibe
November 6th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hey, you live, you learn! It'll come back before you know it.

Now you know what not to do ;)

melesine
November 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Oh man, I've so been there. When I was on chemo my mid back length hair got so thin it looked horrible and I finally broke down and cut it all off. My husband actually sheared it for me with the clippers. I cried and cried though. It took a few years to get back to my old length and frankly I looked horrible with my hair so short. I sure got to see how much natural curl I have though, which is usually weighed down by my length.

(( hugs)) It will grow back and now the damaged hair is gone.

panffle
November 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM
It is a bit shocking when you make a drastic decision, but see the bright side: your hair will grow healthier and better now that the damage is cut off. It can only get longer from now, take good care of it and eventually you might see it as a good thing.

Stray_mind
November 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Don't worry. Take good care of your hair from now on and it'll grow back with time. Just be patient, dear.. :grouphug: :)

samanthaj08
November 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
At least you know that all of the new growth will be healthy and you have a fresh start.

And you're in good company... Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Lawrence, Beyonce, Anne Hathaway, Lena Dunham, Miley Cyrus all cut their hair short.

It'll grow back soon and you have the LHC, aka the best hair support network ever.

Gingi
November 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I'm with you. My hair is so short, that it's above my ears. On one hand, my earrings are showcased beautifully (all 9 of them!), but on the other hand, we don't have a ton of styling options. Hats, and scarves are both great right now! I'm going the no heat, and little product route right now. You can do it!!

askan
November 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I thing cutting everything off was really couragious! I know for sure I have wished I could just start over sometimes. I actually did the same thing when I was 15, but then I've done some stupid hair things since.. It's a fresh start and it won't be long until you can cut it into something really stylish if you want! :)

spirals
November 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Have lots of fun with headbands and scarves and cute earrings. If I ever lose my hair for some reason I'll wear scarves with the tails hanging long.

Of the Fae
November 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Aww I know the feeling! I just went for a chop myself, too also and have cut it all of before only to regret it. However, it sounds like you had a lot of damage and dry perhaps overprocessed hair. When it grows out without bleach it'll look stunning I'm sure :) You look like you have thick and lush, wavy hair!

Hang in there, and wear hats, yes! Hats and clips and bandana's etc etc

lapushka
November 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM
That reminds me of the time my hair broke off from over-processing (chemical cut). I didn't hack it off, though, but had it cut back to a bob, needed to have it cut back to a bob. I second going to a cheap place to have them even it out some. You'll feel a little better then, at least. I hope you can live with the curls, because chemical straightening does your hair no good. It will be long(er) in no time, you'll see.

makeminea99
November 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM
{hugs} sometimes it's got to be done. XXX I've done it myself before! Good luck in your new growth journey, as some of the others here are saying, you will really notice your monthly growth on shorter hair!!

Scelesta
November 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM
To the person whom asked: Yes the color at my roots is my natural color :)

Also thanks for the lovely comments I'm feeling alot better about it this morning, I found a place that will cut my hair for 10 bucks and I'm planning to go today and get it evened out to look better.

Sadly for me hubby has called me out on our deal! (he has APL hair) and the deal was he'd grow his hair out so long as I didnt cut mine, now i'm stuck trying to convince him not to get his cut off too, cause technically I did not chooose to cut my hair off lol

ErinLeigh
November 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM
its going to be ok. I have done this myself. I remember picking up my bf at work one day and he got in the car and I was bald! Quite a shock but he as very kind about it. I really understand what you feel having to show hubby but i'm sure he will be supportive.

As weird as I felt having people see what I had done to myself, it was liberating and I learned alot about myself during that journey. And it felt like heaven to wash it and feel the short, undamaged hair that was full of potential. It also grew out fast it felt like.
It's hard to tell from pic but if it is as short as it looks maybe just get some clippers and run a number 8 all over it and them graduate the bangs into it leaving their length a bit? Doing that will get it all even and one length and you can start growing right away. It helped me a lot doing that knowing I was at a true starting point.

Are you a stay at home or do you have to go into an office?

You are going to have many exciting styles over the next 2 years that you will love. Each new length will bring something new and exciting and will make grow out fun. I think you will look back on this experience and be glad you took control. I believe thing happen for a reason. Even when we ourselves dont know "what came over us"

truepeacenik
November 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM
To the person whom asked: Yes the color at my roots is my natural color :)

Also thanks for the lovely comments I'm feeling alot better about it this morning, I found a place that will cut my hair for 10 bucks and I'm planning to go today and get it evened out to look better.

Sadly for me hubby has called me out on our deal! (he has APL hair) and the deal was he'd grow his hair out so long as I didnt cut mine, now i'm stuck trying to convince him not to get his cut off too, cause technically I did not chooose to cut my hair off lol

Dear Hubby,
I know we had a deal to grow together. In a fit of pique, I failed. You now have the advantage and I'm here to cheer you on, and will need your cheering as I catch up.

Love,
scelesta

Think it will work?

Scelesta
November 6th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Dear Hubby,
I know we had a deal to grow together. In a fit of pique, I failed. You now have the advantage and I'm here to cheer you on, and will need your cheering as I catch up.

Love,
scelesta

Think it will work?

Hah it might if he actually wanted long hair, he doesnt want long hair at all I just LOVE long hair on men so I convinced him to grow it out and in return I would stop cutting mine off. Lucky for me he doesnt want to waste money going to a salon and getting it cut, and I have said I would not cut it sooo it looks like it will be staying long haha.

Also just got back from the salon, she took off a bit of length while fixing what i did to it last night, its probably now only about a 1/2 an inch long, but most of the colored hair is gone and it is soooo amazingly soft i cant stop touching it I havent felt soft hair in so long i'll put up a picture shortly

Scelesta
November 6th, 2013, 06:58 PM
its going to be ok. I have done this myself. I remember picking up my bf at work one day and he got in the car and I was bald! Quite a shock but he as very kind about it. I really understand what you feel having to show hubby but i'm sure he will be supportive.

As weird as I felt having people see what I had done to myself, it was liberating and I learned alot about myself during that journey. And it felt like heaven to wash it and feel the short, undamaged hair that was full of potential. It also grew out fast it felt like.
It's hard to tell from pic but if it is as short as it looks maybe just get some clippers and run a number 8 all over it and them graduate the bangs into it leaving their length a bit? Doing that will get it all even and one length and you can start growing right away. It helped me a lot doing that knowing I was at a true starting point.

Are you a stay at home or do you have to go into an office?

You are going to have many exciting styles over the next 2 years that you will love. Each new length will bring something new and exciting and will make grow out fun. I think you will look back on this experience and be glad you took control. I believe thing happen for a reason. Even when we ourselves dont know "what came over us"

Yeah I havent been bald in years I think hubby would have fainted, I heavily considered it too. He doesnt like short hair on me, and said I look boyish :( But hey win some loose some. He doesnt understand the whole damaged hair needing to be cut of thing and thinks I should have just left it be and tried to find away to work around the breakage.

I went to the salon near my house got it evened out, its not bad but I'm sooo not a fan of it being this short, usally if I wear my hair short I keep it in the 2 1/2 3 inch range. However the lady at the salon said it should grow pretty fast now that the damaged hair is all gone.

I'm a stay at home person, I dont currently have a job, so I dont have to worry to much about my hair for the time being, I figure I can wrap in pretty scarves, and use wigs as a way to change the color(I loove dying my hair, i cant stand my natural color, but i also havent seen my natural color beyond a couple inches of roots since I was like 16 so I'm hoping that now that i'm older I may like it now.)

I'm actually thinking it did happen for a reason, I think subconsiously I knew it was badly damaged and that I had no choice and that consiously i was just unable to do what was needed to help it grow again, and in this case my mind did the work for me haha

Allychan
November 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
You poor dear. My hair was fried and I kinda wish I'd chopped mine off to start again, but I was so desperate for length I just kept growing and chopping, and wearing it up ALL the time. In reality it would've only taken 1.5yrs to get it to a decent length.

Anyways, just to make you feel a little better, I would like to say that the Pixie cut is sooooo in (Jen Lawrence, Jen Aniston, Miley Cyrus & Pamela Anderson) right now you will probably look really cool whilst you grow it out, even though I realise you probably don't really want short hair at this current time.

Scelesta
November 6th, 2013, 09:39 PM
You poor dear. My hair was fried and I kinda wish I'd chopped mine off to start again, but I was so desperate for length I just kept growing and chopping, and wearing it up ALL the time. In reality it would've only taken 1.5yrs to get it to a decent length.

Anyways, just to make you feel a little better, I would like to say that the Pixie cut is sooooo in (Jen Lawrence, Jen Aniston, Miley Cyrus & Pamela Anderson) right now you will probably look really cool whilst you grow it out, even though I realise you probably don't really want short hair at this current time.

Yep, Mine should(provided i take decent care of it) be back at my shoulders in 7-10 months maybe less maybe a bit more I dont know lol

I know its in, but sadly I dont have the face type for short hair, I have a chubby face and a tiny bit of a double chin, (I'm a big gal and proud of it <3 ) but man this short hair just makes my face much more round, i used to use my hair to frame my face to offset the roundness its really unflattering at least to me.

ErinLeigh
November 7th, 2013, 12:22 AM
When i shaved my head I bought a wig to wear to work, and had it cut by a stylist. No one noticed. It was crazy as it was a cheap synthetic wig, not real hair at all. I really feel a kindres feeling with you as I have been in your same shoes. I had buzzed my head due to damage as well.
I know it feels strange now but once you fix it and the real growing starts I think you are gonna be ok. IN 2 months its going to already going to filled out nicely. Now may be a time to try castor oil or monistat or any of the other growth tips we read here. All the treatments would be easy to get on the scalp without the hair in the way.

How is bf taking it other than threatening to cut his own hair? And most important, how are you feeling right now. Are you ok? Just keeping thinking how freeing it is to be able to start all over with healthy hair! Lots of support coming your way so please post anytime you need to hear encouragement.

ErinLeigh
November 7th, 2013, 12:27 AM
think of all the fun you can have with Lil Kim type wigs! I see you got it cut, and if you have had short in the 2-3 inch before then you will be just fine. I bet you have that length in 6 weeks. Really short hair just seems to grow like crazy until it hits jawlength.

ErinLeigh
November 7th, 2013, 12:30 AM
i'm the opposite. I have a sharp face..pointy nose, small eyes, big lips. I looked horrible with short hair although I did get a lot of compliments on it. I find other women really love short hair. Guys find it shocking at first but them start loving the fact we aren't taking hours to style it :) Im excited to see pics of your new cut so please post when you can. I think you can definately pull off short hair as you grow it out. From what I can see of your face in the pic your skin is gorgeous.

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 02:30 AM
i'm the opposite. I have a sharp face..pointy nose, small eyes, big lips. I looked horrible with short hair although I did get a lot of compliments on it. I find other women really love short hair. Guys find it shocking at first but them start loving the fact we aren't taking hours to style it :) Im excited to see pics of your new cut so please post when you can. I think you can definately pull off short hair as you grow it out. From what I can see of your face in the pic your skin is gorgeous.

I think if it wasnt for this place I'd be so much more upset :) Erin you've made me smile so thank you! I've have short hair before so i'm not a stranger to it, for years I kept my hair short simply out of laziness, I just havent had it this short in 10 years so its a shock. Hubby is still being unsupportive about it he hates it and has made that clear to me, he doesnt find short hair very woman like :( But I'm kinda loveing how easy it is, I woke up and all I had to do was run a comb through it and it was good to go lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/backofhair1162013_zpsce6b6a4a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/backofhair1162013_zpsce6b6a4a.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/1172013_zps082ff29c.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/1172013_zps082ff29c.jpg.html)

and this is how long I used to keep my hair a few years ago, I kept it short for a couple years I think 4 years ago I didnt mind it this length it was still easy to manage, of course shortly after is that stupid awkward length.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/6248_240061035706_8102062_n_zps2ae02e5f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/6248_240061035706_8102062_n_zps2ae02e5f.jpg.html)

freesia
November 7th, 2013, 03:16 AM
I think you look really sweet regardless of length :) and it's great that your hair gets a fresh and healthy start, sooooo happy growing :flowers:

MeowScat
November 7th, 2013, 03:48 AM
You are beautiful, fret not about any hair insecurities you may have. I think you look fanfreakintastic!

I envy your fresh start and you did an awesome job on your cut! Enjoy every step of the growing out process. It's exciting!

Bagginslover
November 7th, 2013, 04:49 AM
You don't look mannish at all! Ignore that hurtful comment, but make sure he knows it hurts >:( I think it actually quite suits you, it brings focus to your pretty eyes :)

Lyv
November 7th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I think it looks nice actually, it really emphasizes your eyes!

browneyedsusan
November 7th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Hah it might if he actually wanted long hair, he doesnt want long hair at all I just LOVE long hair on men so I convinced him to grow it out and in return I would stop cutting mine off. Lucky for me he doesnt want to waste money going to a salon and getting it cut, and I have said I would not cut it sooo it looks like it will be staying long haha.

Also just got back from the salon, she took off a bit of length while fixing what i did to it last night, its probably now only about a 1/2 an inch long, but most of the colored hair is gone and it is soooo amazingly soft i cant stop touching it I havent felt soft hair in so long i'll put up a picture shortly

I know how to bribe my man. :eyebrows: Works every time! (Okay, it's probably mutual bribing, but let's not get too technical!)

And you are ADORABLE! You'll look good growing it out. (Also, short hair seems to grow fast. 1/2" on a pixie is a whole different world than 1/2" on BSL)
Trot over to the "super shorties" thread? Lots of people there growing from pixies or bald. I spent a lot of time there when I joined, but the whole community is fabulous. You'll get lots of support here.

bunzfan
November 7th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I agree you really can carry the look off well, it really brings out your eyes for someone that has damage i envy you as your know what not to do and in a year if you dont trim which you could totally do you could be shoulder length . Just think how healthy your hair will be i bet it will grow super fast too. My advice is if you want it long as soon as would be not to trim at all for a good year or two if you can stand it.

Crumpet
November 7th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I think you look *lovely* with the short hair. You have a very feminine face. I think it will grow out really nicely and it will be so much healthier and easier to care for now. Trying to grow out hair as damaged as yours sounded would have been very difficult and frustrating. You have a new start now!

Have a chat with your husband about his hurtful comments. Those sorts of comments make me sad.

AmyBeth
November 7th, 2013, 12:00 PM
The cut does look good, and it looks very feminine to me. Your hair is short but it is shiny and healthy looking and you'll be able to grow it out just the way you want.:blossom:

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
you guys are so sweet :) I love the positivity of this place seriously.

I'm going to talk to the hubby tonight about it, i tried last night and he said he was just joking around(he likes to make jokes, he doesnt mean to be hurtful he just doesnt have a good brain to mouth censor.) but he also flat out said he doesnt like it, I think it may just be cause it was quite a sudden change and he needs to adjust like I do, I get the same way when he gets his hair cut.

I've gotta look into how to care for my hair now, what products to use etc, I'm planning to stp using shampoo, and try to find a conditoner that doesnt have silicone in it, and totally baby my hair.(flat iron is in the dumpster lol )

I think the sad thing is that without the contrasting color I cant see my roots growing in, so i'll have to take pictures every month to see the growth, I've actually toyed with the idea of taking a pic a day for the next year just for fun so I can compile it and watch it grow..I think I have to much free time haha

summergreen
November 7th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I think you look really pretty! Both those styles look great on you.

Ambystoma
November 7th, 2013, 06:56 PM
(I loove dying my hair, i cant stand my natural color, but i also havent seen my natural color beyond a couple inches of roots since I was like 16 so I'm hoping that now that i'm older I may like it now.)

Prepare to be really surprised by how pretty your natural colour is then! I always thought mine was a "blah" colour back when I dyed it, but it's not at all - a whole headful of natural hair is a very different animal to just a sad little strip at the roots so I think you'll be very pleased by what you get. Your colour looks really lovely already in the newest pics, and so shiny, best of luck with your fresh start :grouphug:

Ashflower89
November 7th, 2013, 07:01 PM
you guys are so sweet :) I love the positivity of this place seriously.

I'm going to talk to the hubby tonight about it, i tried last night and he said he was just joking around(he likes to make jokes, he doesnt mean to be hurtful he just doesnt have a good brain to mouth censor.) but he also flat out said he doesnt like it, I think it may just be cause it was quite a sudden change and he needs to adjust like I do, I get the same way when he gets his hair cut.

I've gotta look into how to care for my hair now, what products to use etc, I'm planning to stp using shampoo, and try to find a conditoner that doesnt have silicone in it, and totally baby my hair.(flat iron is in the dumpster lol )

I think the sad thing is that without the contrasting color I cant see my roots growing in, so i'll have to take pictures every month to see the growth, I've actually toyed with the idea of taking a pic a day for the next year just for fun so I can compile it and watch it grow..I think I have to much free time haha

After my last pixie cut in May, I thought about making one of those daily picture time-lapse things too. Ended up getting too lazy to take a daily picture, plus that shows so little growth. If hair grows an average 1/2" a month, thats a ridiculously small amount per day. So instead of making a timelapse video, I just made a hair blog and plan on taking once-a-month pictures instead. If you do decide to make something like that, let us know! It's always fun to see progress, and inspiring for others trying to grow out from a short cut.

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Prepare to be really surprised by how pretty your natural colour is then! I always thought mine was a "blah" colour back when I dyed it, but it's not at all - a whole headful of natural hair is a very different animal to just a sad little strip at the roots so I think you'll be very pleased by what you get. Your colour looks really lovely already in the newest pics, and so shiny, best of luck with your fresh start :grouphug:
Yeah I've not seen the natural color since it changed, I was a white blonde child, around 8 my hair turned a golden blond, and then I assume it darkned again since my roots are dark blonde. I'm kinda looking foward to it :)

After my last pixie cut in May, I thought about making one of those daily picture time-lapse things too. Ended up getting too lazy to take a daily picture, plus that shows so little growth. If hair grows an average 1/2" a month, thats a ridiculously small amount per day. So instead of making a timelapse video, I just made a hair blog and plan on taking once-a-month pictures instead. If you do decide to make something like that, let us know! It's always fun to see progress, and inspiring for others trying to grow out from a short cut.

I'm probably going to make a blog just for fun, just need to find a place to set one up, I'm going to try to daily pictures, but for me its not so much laziness as just me flat out forgetting to do it lol, if anything I do have a folder on my computer set up called Hair growth, and sub folders for each month, where I intend to put a monthly picture (At minimum) and a note pad file with the length for that month. I'm the kind of person whom loves encouragement so a blog(if anyone ever visits it would kind make me happy ), and I wouldnd mind if I inspired someone cause that would kinda be awesome :)

vindo
November 7th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I second cute hats and scarfs!

Like you said, it was really damaged, so while it was a drastic and brave decision...maybe it was for the better. Now you can just let it grow, not worry about damage and treat your hair the best you can. :)

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I second cute hats and scarfs!

Like you said, it was really damaged, so while it was a drastic and brave decision...maybe it was for the better. Now you can just let it grow, not worry about damage and treat your hair the best you can. :)

I may not even need the scarves (I still plan to wear them though) it took a couple days but i'm kinda liking it now, no fuss and just being able to run a comb through it really fast is awesome haha

AnqeIicDemise
November 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I've done something similar. Except mine wasn't done out of 'frustration with my hair' and more like "I really, really gotta do something stupid but I promised bf I wasn't going to self harm anymore."

So I just sat in the bathtub and cried as I snipped bits of hair off in random lengths. Eventually it looked good but at the moment? Not at all. And I'm glad I cut it all off! :D My hair has never looked or felt as good as right now!

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I've done something similar. Except mine wasn't done out of 'frustration with my hair' and more like "I really, really gotta do something stupid but I promised bf I wasn't going to self harm anymore."

So I just sat in the bathtub and cried as I snipped bits of hair off in random lengths. Eventually it looked good but at the moment? Not at all. And I'm glad I cut it all off! :D My hair has never looked or felt as good as right now!

I'd hug you if I could! I've been there, i shaved my head for that reason back when I was 14 or so, i'm better now though and hope that you are too. :)

ErinLeigh
November 8th, 2013, 01:51 AM
you look gorgeous! Hubby will get used to it in a week or so. It will be grown out in a year so its not like you are torturing him :)
I love the idea of a pic a day for on year and than making a video. Im sure it would get many hits on youtube if you posted it as i think people are fascinated by seeing hair growth. I am really hoping you post a monthly shot on his thread so we can see the evolution :p
Honestly I think your just fine and more concerned by DH reaction, as all of us want to know our men love our hair. Once you get him over the hump you can enjoy the thrill of being a shorty for a while. Nothing is cooler than running hands thru short hair and being wash and go and carefree. I have always been envious how quickly men can ready.
Between you and me there are many times I opt to stay in instead of going out simply because I don't feel like dealing with getting ready.

I really love the cut you had in the pic you posted. That is a great look for you. I would stop fighting the waves and curls and go Curly Girl Method for sure. Its very flattering.

ErinLeigh
November 8th, 2013, 02:13 AM
you look gorgeous! Hubby will get used to it in a week or so. It will be grown out in a year so its not like you are torturing him :)
I love the idea of a pic a day for on year and than making a video. Im sure it would get many hits on youtube if you posted it as i think people are fascinated by seeing hair growth. I am really hoping you post a monthly shot on his thread so we can see the evolution :p
Honestly I think your just fine and more concerned by DH reaction, as all of us want to know our men love our hair. Once you get him over the hump you can enjoy the thrill of being a shorty for a while. Nothing is cooler than running hands thru short hair and being wash and go and carefree. I have always been envious how quickly men can ready.
Between you and me there are many times I opt to stay in instead of going out simply because I don't feel like dealing with getting ready.

I really love the cut you had in the pic you posted. That is a great look for you. I would stop fighting the waves and curls and go Curly Girl Method for sure. Its very flattering.

Scelesta
November 17th, 2013, 08:43 PM
A tiny update (no pics cause I'm not feeling well at the moment)

Hubby pointed out last night that my hair has grown out a bit and it looks much better to him now! I havent noticed it growing cause i've been watching it like a hawk lol But he says he for sure noticed that the length has changed.

I find it hillarious cause this is the man that honestly didnt notice when I straightened my hair and claims he could see no difference in it straightened or unstraigthened, but he notices it it growing silly man.

longhairedlady
November 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM
i love your newest picture, beautiful eyes and your curls look great with the super short cut.

Madora
November 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Here is how LHCer "Igor" went from short to ultra long:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10905

0xalis
November 18th, 2013, 12:46 AM
You did amazingly well for chopping it all off in a heated frenzy O:
I remember wanting to do the same thing, I had wanted to just shave it all off, but I wouldn't dare without a wig.
Baby the hair you have left. As your pixie grows out, trim the mullet. You may be able to hold on to some of those ends if you treat them well enough. I still have about 4'' of once-bleached ends [used to be my roots] that are in surprisingly great condition because I'm very gentle. I don't plan on cutting them off all at once, ever, I'm just going to microtrim and over time they'll eventually disappear.

You look A LOT like one of my real-life friends, and I wish so badly that she'd do a big chop. Her hair looked EXACTLY the same as yours, same colour and everything, and then she dyed it again... ugh.

The pixie will be gone in no time. If you can, enjoy it while it lasts. :) I'm glad your husband is being supportive!

Scelesta
November 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM
longhairedlady AW thank you so much :)

Madora that was a really usefull read thanks for sharing

emilylightning Its not the first time i've cut it off in a huff lol I was being somewhat careful but as i wasnt using scciors(was using an electric razor) it was hard to get it even.

I used to do exactly what your friend did, if I hadnt been determined to stop the damage(aka hadnt found this site) I would have bleached it out and dyed it again in a month, I honestly dont know how my hair didnt break off sooner with the way I treated it.

I'm actually REALLY enjoying it this short, I wouldnt want to keep this way for good, but holy crap do I ever love getting out of the shower and being able to go straight to bed without having to wait for my hair to dry lol

On an semi related note, I bought Loreal Everstrong shampoo and conditioner today, the baking soda and vinegar did in fact dry out my hair, but olive oil saved the day, however I did need a way to wash my hair, though I think i'll try to keep it to twice a week. I get light dandruff build up that itches.

AnqeIicDemise
November 18th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Y'know, it was one of those cathartic moments. I'd gladly take that e-hug anytime. ^-^ Hugs are awesome!

Also, I'm glad your SO is being so supportive and hyper aware. I am sure he's concious of how upset you were and realizes how important your hair is. DH was the same way with me. At first he didn't care nor noticed and now that he sees how important it is to me, he goes out of my way to see my updos... or suggest toys.
I'd hug you if I could! I've been there, i shaved my head for that reason back when I was 14 or so, i'm better now though and hope that you are too. :)

sarahthegemini
November 19th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Be positive and just think how beautiful your hair will look when it grows out completely damage-free! I hope you appreciate your natural colour - we are our own worse crtic, I bet it's a nice colour! In the mean time, have fun with big earrings :)

Scelesta
November 19th, 2013, 05:50 AM
AnqeIicDemise- It is nice he noticed, it seems to be the only thing he's noticed lately though, i'm feeling quite lonely I cant even get him to talk to me :( but him pointing out my hair gave me the slightest bit of hope that maybe things will start getting better.

sarahthegemini - I totally am positive about it at this point it took a few days for me to adjust, I do still feel vaugly uncomfertable going out in public with it this short but i'm hoping that passes soon.

I'm buying a super long classic length wig, just for fun so I can what its going to look like when my hair gets that long. (Just gotta wait on the hubby to get up for work so I can order it!) Its only the first of the wigs I plan to buy, I'm thinking one a month so I can play around with styles, colors and lengths, and that should keep me from dying or doing anything to my hair beyond taking care of it!

abauer789
November 19th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Scetesta, I think you look beautiful with the short hair! Your eyes are so striking!
I am growing out highlights that I have kept up for 30 years! I wish I was brave enough to chop it off...it has been a year and I am still itching to chop off all the damaged bits! You will love your new hair! And don't judge it by the roots. Everytime I mentioned growing it out to my natural color the stylists would say it is a dull ash blond. Made it seem really boring...but it is actually not at all dull or ash! Not that ash is bad, I covet a full head of natural ash blond hair!
Keep it up! You really look gorgeous!

Pointiears
November 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Rock some cute earrings. I had short hair for 8 years and a Mohawk for one and amassed a nice collection of cute earrings. (Dangly earrings might help with the face framing effect you miss from having longer hair.)

Isilme
November 19th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts! You will be a longhair before you know it! And you look good in your new short hair:) And I'm sure you already know all this but I had the tab open so here you go: http://www.longlocks.com/how-to-grow-long-hair.htm
And if you want to keep the red colour you can use henna, just be sure to read everything you can about it first because it is really, really permanent! http://www.hennaforhair.com/ just don't listen to what they say about lemon juice and acids.
There is also a whole sub-forum dedicated to herbal colouring and masks here at LHC!

Addy
November 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM

I am still growing out a pixie from a hair disaster in March. I'm using my ears, eyes and nose as markers for noted hair growth. It helps a lot when one stops coloring. I've given up the dye for natural color. My husband actually wants me to keep it this short but I just can't because I'm a long hair at heart. He was pleasantly surprised when he came home to find I chopped the rest of my hair off. lol Your husband will get over your short hair mishap.

Scelesta
December 6th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Sooo growth update after one month! I got a bout 1/2 inch of growth judging by my roots and holy crap its noticable, unfourtanatly 1/2 an inch was enough to make my hair crazy awkward, nothing I do to it will make it lie flat on top, it insists on standing straight up! I've been taking good care of it, I wash 2 times a week with a sulfate free shampoo, and condition 3-4 times a week with silicone free conditioner. I use olive oil in it daily to style it. my hair LOVES olive oil for some reason, it makes it crazy silky. It also helps my scalp itch less from wearing wigs.

I cut my wig back from waist length to just past shoulders because I wanted a style I could manage.

Still on the fence about growing super long like I want, but I think real hair will be less of a hassle due to being able to style it and put it up(whereas with a wig I cant do that)

I'd post a picture(I took a couple tonight but they are soooo unflattering lol) so maybe I'll have hubby take a picture tommorow, since selfies end up with me having a double chin lol

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2013, 08:05 AM
LOL!
Welcome to the "growing out a pixie awkwardness"! I feel your pain, my sister. It isn't for the faint of heart. Put a cute clip or pin in your bangs for distraction, and some fabulous earrings! Feel free to PM me and snoop through my growth album--apologies in advance, photos are hard for me, so they're not sized very nicely. I grew 10 months from May 2012 siggy without trimming, but because I pinned up the front as soon as it was long enough, no one even suspected what a ragged mess it really was! heh heh heh. I'm sneaky!

:)

Scelesta
December 6th, 2013, 10:31 AM
haha I've grown out from shiny smooth bald(did that MANY years ago) so I shouldnt have been so surprised but damn was I shocked when nothing I could do would keep my hair down. I've been hiding it under my wig, and I try not to look in mirrors much so that when I do see my hair I can see the change. I'm no stranger to short hair (for a couple years I kept my hair a few inches longer then it is now due to laziness), but I havent had it this short in many years

I may try to find some cute clips for those days i'm to lazy to put on a wig lol

also: Ignore the date my camera seems to enjoy never being right! I took this like 5 minuets ago (its the 6th!) I hate to sound..vain...but I feel pretty today...no makeup except mascara and a tiny bit of liquid foundation <3 Its rare that i see a photo of myself and think I look nice so I am taking that to mean I'm having a great morning. :)

As you can see the sides lay flat while the top seems to have decided to defy gravity and stand up lol I dont see HOW its doing that since I put oil in my hair and brushed it but dang it hair has a mind of its own lol Its worse if I sleep on it, then the ONLY way to fix it(because it will be standing up in all directions in a chaotic mess) is to wet the whole thing down, and oil it again,and let it air dry otherwise it just looks downright silly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/1262013growthupdate_zps0a237d07.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/1262013growthupdate_zps0a237d07.jpg.html)

Nightshade
December 6th, 2013, 10:35 AM
You're so lovely :) I think in time you'll be happy for the fresh start!

And is your rose tattoo the Clan Toreador rose?

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/l/lo/logoclantoreador1.png

Scelesta
December 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM
You're so lovely :) I think in time you'll be happy for the fresh start!

And is your rose tattoo the Clan Toreador rose?

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/l/lo/logoclantoreador1.png\

Aw thank you :)

Yep it is the Toreador rose :) I'm a big RPG nerd lol

Nightshade
December 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hahahhaa well I'm nerdy enough to catch it, so it appears we're in good company :lol:

JessicaAnn
December 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
You have beautiful eyes! I'll bet it feels nice to have healthy hair growing in instead of having to deal with the damage.

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Holy Moley! You have a great head of hair! Lovely curls and shine!

At first I suspected you were a straightey, since it wouldn't lay down--mine sticks up like a bottle brush at about 1"--but you've got awesome curls! Lucky girl!

Lilybeany
December 7th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Wow you rock it short.looks shinny now.Love you blue eyes..well want them.keep smiling cute angel.

MandyBeth
December 7th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Looking good! Very thick and glossy looking now.

When my hair doesn't want to lay down - I work with it spiky. I like my spikes, may as well enjoy my hair since it believes it is obligated to be naughty.

MaryO
December 8th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Good luck for the regrowth! I'm sure in a while you'll also look back and think it was the best thing you could have done for your hair! Until then treat it right and it will do the same for you.