PDA

View Full Version : will hair grow longer if you search and destroy all time?

susieq998
November 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I search and destroy probably every week to get rid of any split or white dots i can find. trying to get rid of dye damage from a year ago. Should I just leave it alone if I want it to grow or keep doing what i do? Thanks:)

red-again
November 5th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I don't know, I suppose if you know your rate of growth and you know how much you are cutting, then as long as your growth exceeds your trims then yes, you will gain length.

I can only say, I started here at barely APL with massive bleach damage and have been trimming whenever, s&d etc to rid my hair of the damage and till my new siggy today, I thought I was still APL-ish. Turns out I am solid BSL. So who'd have rhought it.

lapushka
November 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
If there's damage, and it's spread out, then S&D sessions are usually the way to go. Get the damage out if there is damage. If there's excessive damage (everywhere), then trims are usually better. No damage? Then it's best to leave the hair alone. No trims, no S&D sessions.

prettyinpink
November 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM
When you s&d you only cut off the damaged strand, so its not like your cutting off much. It's only gonna continue splitting and breaking if you never cut it. I think it helps make hair thicker, if that makes any sense :P

Jenny31557
November 5th, 2013, 06:07 PM
When you s+d, you only cut off individual splits and damage, you're not trimming the ends of your hair, so you will still be gaining length and getting rid of damage at the same time. :)

Madora
November 5th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Damaged hair only gets worse if left alone. Splits continue to split up the hair, ruining it. Best to S and D (with SHARP scissors) at least once a month.

If there are too many splits or white dots, then a small trim to remove the damage is a better idea.

Naiadryade
November 5th, 2013, 06:51 PM
It does for me. When I S&D regularly (a little almost every day), I grow 1/2"+ per month. When I drop the ball and don't S&D hardly ever, or only once a month, my growth drops to 1/4" to 1/3" per month. Back when my mechanical damage was new and I didn't know anything about S&D or using only sharp hair scissors to cut my hair, my hair got to breaking off so fast it kept up with my growth and I stayed at BSL for over a year.

Chromis
November 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I'm not so sure about splits travelling up the shaft myself (perhaps a few do this, but I find many more of the tiny sort even back when I first started), but the damaged spots tangle a ton more for me. Tangled hair is more likely to get pulled out accidentally when combing even when you are being very gentle and the tangles often make even more damage so I find my hair is thicker when I S&D regularly. I often gently use my fingers on any tangles that do form, but snip out the nucleus once I have gotten all the "easy" hairs out and it is just a few strands firmly locked tight. Most of my hair care is really devoted to not getting tangles which incidentally helps prevent other damage as well. (Wearing it up, braiding at night, not piling hair on head to wash, and so forth)

spidermom
November 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM
ends can get thin and piecey looking over time if you do a lot of S&D