PDA

View Full Version : thyroid (medication) and hair loss

ikke1978
November 5th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Hi all,

I have a question. I am losing my hair!! I found out i am hypothyroid and start medication soon. I am reading a lot of horror stories about people losing their hair due to their thyroid medication? I wonder if there are any success stories on thyroid medication and hair regrowth...

I already lost half my hair and don't want to lose more...

Please, if you know anything about thyroid and regrowth or loss.. please reply...

I have a lot of regrowth now (not being on thyroidmed., but i t doesn't grow longer that 1 cm... The regrowth is thick and full of colour, but it will not grow... it is like i am cycling through all hair stages very rapidly... I had to cut my hair really short because of it. A biopsy of my scalp showed that all my hairfollicles were still there and normal thickness... only half of my hair is in telogen phase...

UP Lisa
November 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Once you are on the proper medication, you should stop losing hair. You will not lose hair because of the medication. The important thing is that you are treated properly. Unfortunately, many doctors are not very well educated on the subject. Check out this site:

stopthethyroidmadness.com

tetisheri72
November 5th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I've got hypothyroidism and I take levothyroxine. I've been taking it for a year. I was losing all kinds of hair before I took it, and now I'm not. When I notice too many hairs in the shower, I go talk to my doctor.

I think my hair is much better since I've been taking my meds. It's growing faster, overall, and it doesn't feel strawlike.

ikke1978
November 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM
this is so good to read... gives me hope... thanks...

BlazingHeart
November 5th, 2013, 02:47 PM
My hair stops growing unless I am on enough of my thyroid medicine. When I have my synthroid (levothyroxine, which is pretty much the standard medication for hypothyroid), my hair grows like normal. It's not uncommon to have hair issues when your thyroid is out of balance, but the the medication should make your hair BETTER, not worse.

FrozenBritannia
November 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I've been hypo (treated) for over eight years, and Never had any issues with my meds affecting my hair growth. :)

ikke1978
November 5th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I guess i should not focus too much on the horror stories on the internet... ?!

tetisheri72
November 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Yes. It's easy to get freaked out over some of those stories, isn't it?

Pamala513
November 5th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I am sorry to say, I have had a bad experience regarding hair loss and thyroid problems. My hair was always falling out, and my doctor always said it was because of my hormones thru 4 pregnancies about 2-3 years apart. Finally a different doctor decided out of the blue to test my thyroid, and discovered I had been hypothyroid. That was 6 years ago, and at that time, one of the most common side effects of the meds was hair loss for the first few months. That happened to me for 2 months, but I expected it and knew it would stop once I adjusted to the meds, which it did stop. Sometimes they have over medicated me and I see a huge hair loss lasting months and insist on a blood test and then they lower my meds. I had 2 doctors miss read my results and my hair continued to fall out for 6 months until I researched the numbers and discovered the mistake. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in them any longer and I have a thin head of what used to be thick hair....:(

2 months ago, I went to a different doctor, one that looks for the underlying cause and treats to fix it other than treating the symptoms like my other doctors. I am off my levotroid and onto LDN for Hasimotos and feel better than I have in thepast few years. I hope to see my hair return to its fullness in time.....just patiently waiting for it to grow.

Just stay on top of your results and you will feel much better. Also, many people find that taking it at night works very well, it gives your body time to really absorb it without worrying about vitamins interfering

vindo
November 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM
My story is different...

Medication made things worse for me, although my levels were fine. I tried different brands of synthetic thyroid for my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (TSH of 8 ) My symptoms got worse, my hair became dry and brittle with lots of splits (before I had no splits at classic length), my hair was falling out just a bit more than normal, but still annoying.
I was thinking about switching to Natural Thyroid (someone suggested www.stopthethyroidmadness.com (http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com)) but had to stay on Synthroid during my pregnancy and my hair continued to be in the same brittle state.
Towards the end of my pregnancy I changed my diet to Paleo to improve my health. I went off of Synthroid at 3 months postpartum. My hair improved some right away, but it has taken me quite some time to improve my hairs condition fully. I have been shedding at a very low rate too and my hair has been growing faster lately. Nowadays I don't have any Hashimoto's that could be detected. My levels are fine without medication (TSH of 2) and my thyroid works normally (have been stable since early 2012).

I found that experiences greatly vary. But I just thought I would tell you my weird experience with Hashimoto's. :flower:

Should I ever experience severe problems again and need medication, I would likely consider natural thyroid since Synthroid and Levothyroxin just weren't for me.

ikke1978
November 6th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Thanks all for replying... I am afraid of the meds, but i guess i need them anyway (although my TSH is only 10... could be worse, right?) My hair loss is very severe at the moment and my hair is extremely dry... Maybe meds will make it worse, but i need to try... maybe it will help.... I am afraid to make things worse though..

I live in the Netherlands and Armour is not on the list for thyroid-medication... too hard to get Armour in here... SO, i am probably stuck with Synthroid or Levothyroxin...

I just want my hair back the way it was three years ago (not fantastic, but still more than double of what i have left now)

FrozenBritannia
November 6th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks all for replying... I am afraid of the meds, but i guess i need them anyway (although my TSH is only 10... could be worse, right?) My hair loss is very severe at the moment and my hair is extremely dry... Maybe meds will make it worse, but i need to try... maybe it will help.... I am afraid to make things worse though..

I live in the Netherlands and Armour is not on the list for thyroid-medication... too hard to get Armour in here... SO, i am probably stuck with Synthroid or Levothyroxin...

I just want my hair back the way it was three years ago (not fantastic, but still more than double of what i have left now)

Synthroid is the one I take, and I've never had a problem with it. As someone who was untreated hypo for about nine months, (that level that isn't supposed to go above 5? I tested at 169..) you do NOT want to go that route. Take the meds, give it a fair shot (at least six months to a year) and then if you're still not convinced, talk to your doc about alternate therapies etc..

meteor
November 6th, 2013, 09:05 AM

TSH of 10 is high. Ideally, it shouldn't be more than 2 or 2.5. Today's upper limit is usually accepted at 3 in the US, but many world-class endocrinologists think even that is too high and already shows signs of hypo. But more importantly than the TSH, what are your actual thyroid hormones numbers: Free T4, Free T3 hormones, and antibodies (to check for Hashimoto's, which affects about 90% of hypothyroid patients)? Those are the numbers that you and your doctor should be mostly focused on. It's also very important to see if you have any other issues, like iron/B-12/D deficiencies, adrenals, etc etc. That said, it's notoriously hard to find good doctors for treating thyroid issues, as it's easy to go undiagnosed and misdiagnosed for years, and symptoms are often subtle and confusing. Can you ask your friends for doctor recommendations in your area?

You can check out different kinds of natural dessicated thyroid here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/armour-vs-other-brands/
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/options-for-thyroid-treatment/
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101/

1nuitblanche
November 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I've been taking medication for hypothyroidism for two and a half years. I definitely feel that the pros outweigh the cons, even if it is just for the energy and clear mind. I don't think the medication has caused me to lose hair, since they decreased the amount I was shedding before, although I could be wrong. My hair is a little thinner at the moment than before I was diagnosed, but I think that is because I've needed the dosage adjusted several times due to being pregnant and also because of normal post-partum shedding. In a year or two, I'll be able to give you a better answer about my personal experience of the effect of these medications on my hair.

CoyoteSarah
November 6th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Just started treatment for hypothyroidism a few months ago. I'm due for an adjustment in my dosage now but for awhile I was seeing great results with Armour. I have thin, fine hair to start with and it became dry,brittle,etc. along with my skin drying up, before I was treated. Now it seems like my hair retains moisture better, even if its still dry. I do a LOT of coconut oil treatments, EVO with honey,etc. and use mountains of coney conditioner. This keeps it nice and soft and manageable. I'm losing way less hair now but its still fairly prone to breakage and its also coarser and just kind of...strange? compared to how it used to be. Its like the whole texture of my hair has changed. Really weird. Lots of splits too. With treatment, my skin goes back to normal and my hair is more manageable- I think its completely worth it just for those reasons, although of course the 8 bajillion other side effects are also pretty darn good reasons too. I got lucky and got a doctor that tested everything properly the first time around and gave me Armour when I suggested it ,without so much as batting an eye.

Silverbrumby
November 6th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mine started nine years ago after my second baby was born. I have still experienced heavy shedding but I doubt it's the thyroid meds. Here's why. My dad had age related thinning and so do other members of his family. I have dad's hair. I've tried everything to try to stop the shedding and so far the only thing which seems to have helped is biotin and biosil plus this new neem oil from Dr Hausckha something or another. My hair loss is all over my body not just my head. I still have a decent amount of hair at 2.5 and I've done what I can to improve the situation. When you start the meds you might have a great result. It's more genetics, the hair loss in my case, than the thyroid. Just happened at the same time so it was confusing for me.

I've known a lot of gals on meds with great heads of hair. Just do the basics, eat well, sleep well, take supplements if they help and follow good hair care rules like no heat, gentle handling etc.

UP Lisa
November 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Whatever you do, don't just go by the TSH test! It is a better test of pituitary function than anything else.

ikke1978
November 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I wish Armour would be prescribed in the Netherlands also... read good stories about it, but unfortunately...

I really hope i can get at least part of my hair back...

panffle
November 6th, 2013, 01:06 PM
It took me about a year to be diagnosed with a hypothyroid, I don't know why the doctors I went to didn't think of it. My TSH was up to 12.
My hair was growing slowly, and was growing differently. I have 1a hair that feels very silky and the hair growing during that time was just... not the same at all, quite the opposite.
I have been taking medication for 2 years now and my hair has improved a lot from it, not to mention other aspects of my body as well.

ikke1978
November 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
panffle, what medication do you take? Did you have hair loss prior to medication?

Silverbrumby
November 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
What are you levels btw? If it's borderline then maybe try natural supplements. Watch out for cuneiform vegetables and juices. They can push your readings into hypo and also your thyroid.

vindo
November 6th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I wish Armour would be prescribed in the Netherlands also... read good stories about it, but unfortunately...

I really hope i can get at least part of my hair back...

I know a longhair from the Netherlands that now added raw thyroid supplement to her normal meds I believe, and last I spoke to her she felt better. Raw Thyroid is available in Europe and it is similar too Armour. I also believe there are ways to get Armour in Europe but I don't think it is easy.

BlazingHeart
November 6th, 2013, 06:48 PM
What are you levels btw? If it's borderline then maybe try natural supplements. Watch out for cuneiform vegetables and juices. They can push your readings into hypo and also your thyroid.

Um, I think you mean cruciferous vegetables. Cuneiform is a type of ancient writing, not a type of plant.

ikke1978
November 7th, 2013, 03:11 AM

My TSH is around 10 or 11.... My T4 is a only a bit off... Not to bad, but my hair is less than half of what it is used to be (used to be is 3 years ago), it stopped growing, and feels like straw.... I wonder if thyroid is responsible and if meds will be able to fix it...

ikke1978
November 7th, 2013, 03:12 AM
I asked my endo about Armour and she does not want me to use is, cause it is not proved to work...??!! I just want my hair to grow back... no matter what i have to use..

Beborani
November 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
If you are hypothyroid and it is causing hair loss/ brittleness then synthroid/levo can only help. I assume your endo will adjust your dosage by trial and error--they will start out low and adjust upwards as being hyperthyroid is even worse (I should know as I have been both). You should be focussing on your overall health as hair health will follow. I dont understand why you would not want to take the medication--horror stories on the internet are just that. And I saw at least one website which is completely misleading. Please listen to your doctor and not internet charlatans.

Pamala513
November 7th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I agree with Beborani. You really should take te prescribed medicine. Your doctor will probably test you in 3 months and adjust as needed. Your hair won't get healthy if your thyroid isn't. You will see a difference and will feel better! But it takes time so be patient.

vindo
November 7th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I asked my endo about Armour and she does not want me to use is, cause it is not proved to work...??!! I just want my hair to grow back... no matter what i have to use..

...sorry she sounds a bit crazy :confused:. She just does not know anything about natural thyroid and wants you to forget about it asap. Have you read this? - http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
There is more than enough evidence out there that is does work, even work better for many who had no success with synthetic thyroid. You might not get around using Synthroid this time if you want to quickly start meds to see if things better, but for the future it is certainly good to know about the alternative.

But if you don't feel like your Endo is providing you with the BEST possible treatment, you could try to see another endo, or a naturopathic doctor. You can also check out various thyroid forums to hear more first hand experiences from people that have used natural thyroid.

Natural Thyroid in the UK:
http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/treatment/where_to_get_desiccated.html

I also read something on stop the thyroid madness about products imported to the netherlands:

DENMARK’S THYREOïDUM for NETHERLANDS from Biofac in Kastrup, Denmark. Imported into the Netherlands from BUFA/Fargo, importers of pharmaceutical products.

½ grain = 29 mg (12.7 mcg T4 and 4.5 mcg T3)

1 grain = 57 mg (25.3 mcg T4 and 9 mcg T3)

2 grain = 114 mg (50.6 mcg T4 and 18 mcg T3)

Pig thyroid. Some websites state the T4/T3 ratio can vary from 2.3: 1 to 3.8: 1 depending on the lot. Meets standards of US Pharmacopoeia. Contains Microcrystalline cellulose as a filler. Also may contain lactose, sodium, chloride, starch, sucrose or glucose.

(Thanks to Julia Hendryx of the Netherlands for alerting me of this desiccated thyroid!)

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/armour-vs-other-brands/

Maybe just do some more research to be sure of what you want. Once you are on thyroid hormone your body will have to adjust and you don't want to put your body through too many adjustments, which can also cause shedding each time until the body balances itself again.

Silverbrumby
November 7th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Oops on the cuniform. You are definitely hypo and need meds. I have been on both natural and synthetic and felt pretty much the same. Getting the right dose was the most important thing.

BlazingHeart
November 9th, 2013, 02:46 AM
So, a lot of people who support using desiccated thyroid speak about the synthetic versions in very strong terms.

There are valid reasons to prefer the synthetic. For one thing, your doctor is more likely to be familiar with it, and comfortable with the dosing and adjustments. For another, you know exactly what you're getting in every dose - the trouble with desiccated thyroid is that it's a natural product and the concentrations of the various hormones in it are not as reliable as the synthetics are. Most people do just fine on synthetics. The synthetics are easier to get, more widely available, more likely to be covered by insurance or national health plans, and cheaper.

Take what your doctor is prescribing you. It will take a couple months to get your dose right. Once your doctor thinks you're on the right amount, give it 6 months and see how your feel. If in 6 months, you are still having symptoms, then it makes sense to try the desiccated thyroid. Start with the easy way, and only take the hard way if you need to.

I say this as someone who has been on the synthetic version for over a decade, so I've had to make the same decision that you are facing. I think that the way 'natural' thyroid proponents talk about the synthetic hormones is overblown rhetoric, for the most part. If synthetic hormones were as useless or even bad for every person as they suggest, no one would use them. When people start making health claims, particularly when they insist on natural being better, I always ask myself, "Where is the proof?" And in this case, most of the proof is anecdotes from individuals who do better with desiccated thyroid, not double-blind studies that prove one is better than the other.

girlcat36
November 9th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Synthroid and levothyroxine were horrible for me, sorry to say.
They never stopped my hair loss.
I have am now on natural desiccated thyroid(I get Erfa Thyroid from Canada) and finally the hair loss has stopped.
As Pamela513 mentioned, too much thyroid can cause a shed that is worse than too little thyroid!
If you are hypothyroid, you also want to look into nutritional deficiencies, since low thyroid affects nutrient absorption, which in turn affects our hair.

ikke1978
November 11th, 2013, 04:10 AM
thanks for all your replies...

If thyroidmeds will only give half back of what i have lost i would be happy...

LScott317
January 19th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I agree that stopthethyroidmaddness.com is a great resource. One you get your thyroid right (including no antibodies) then your hair should return to normal. Have your iron and adrenals checked too - they work hand in hand with thyroid.

Silverbrumby
January 19th, 2014, 04:35 PM
thanks for all your replies...

If thyroidmeds will only give half back of what i have lost i would be happy...

how are you now? What did you end up doing.

Pamala513
January 19th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I was taken off my levethroid afer 2 months of ldn because of hair loss. But after follow up blood test early this week, I was put back on it again. I hope the hair loss doesn't start up again. I have Hashimoto's and because of it also on adrenal....hate all these pills.

queenieheather
January 19th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Please do not be scared of starting thyroid meds. Even if it is synthetic hormone, with a TSH at 10 you will feel better/have less symptoms than you do now. Please do your research starting with BUYING THE BOOK from the stopthethyroidmadness website. Read it, maybe even read it twice because there is a lot of info... and know it so you are able to thoroughly discuss your treatment with you doctor. Synthetic hormones are not the only option, which MANY doctors will insist to you. I personally am very very FOR the use of natural dessicated thyroid(Armour, ect.)!! I have had hashimoto's for over 10 years, beginning at age 18. I was misdiagnosed (told I had mono, leukemia, some rare blood cancer) by doctors. So I have been through it all! I fired doctors along the way that wouldn't hear me out. And I have learned the hard way doctors do not always know as much as we hope they do. It wasn't fun, but now I feel better.

There are valid reasons to prefer the synthetic. For one thing, your doctor is more likely to be familiar with it, and comfortable with the dosing and adjustments. For another, you know exactly what you're getting in every dose - the trouble with desiccated thyroid is that it's a natural product and the concentrations of the various hormones in it are not as reliable as the synthetics are. Most people do just fine on synthetics. The synthetics are easier to get, more widely available, more likely to be covered by insurance or national health plans, and cheaper....

...I say this as someone who has been on the synthetic version for over a decade, so I've had to make the same decision that you are facing. I think that the way 'natural' thyroid proponents talk about the synthetic hormones is overblown rhetoric, for the most part. If synthetic hormones were as useless or even bad for every person as they suggest, no one would use them. When people start making health claims, particularly when they insist on natural being better, I always ask myself, "Where is the proof?" And in this case, most of the proof is anecdotes from individuals who do better with desiccated thyroid, not double-blind studies that prove one is better than the other.

Just to clear some things up, NDT(natural dessicated thyroid) does not vary in concentration any more than synthetic. This is a big myth spouted by doctors everywhere. In the US it is standardized by the USP(not sure about who standardizes drugs in other countries). For instance Armour has 38mcg of T4 and 9mcg of T3 per grain(1grain=60mg). Even if your insurance doesn't cover NDT, it's not expensive. Name brand Synthroid is wayyy pricier without insurance coverage. Out of pocket price for my NDT is like $12/month. But my insurance covers it, so its $10.

Fine is a relative term. Many people who are "doing fine" on synthetics actually have many symptoms that aren't fully resolved, thin/brittle hair being a common symptom. Others include low grade depression, infertility, high cholesterol, insomnia, needing daily naps, foggy thinking, constipation, low sex drive and many many more. Many doctors will diagnose these as unrelated health issues and prescribe you another medication for these symptoms when in reality it may resolve with the proper dose of NDT. The complete list is in the STTM book, which again I stress the importance of reading!

Synthetic hormones aren't exactly "bad", but lots of people DO feel better on natural thyroid hormones, some drastically so. Some feel worse, and that can point to other problems like anemia/low iron or ferritin, absorption issues, and several other things. Hypothyroidism in general is not always as easy as just taking "a pill a day". It is much different when it comes to autoimmune thyroid problems. If you have just low thyroid levels there is a better chance synthetic thyroid hormones will suffice. If you have Hashimoto's or Grave's then it is an autoimmune disease in addition to a hormone deficiency and must be treated as such for health improvements to occur. I have been gluten free for 3 years and I no longer have ANY autoantibodies (my previous numbers were both in the 1000s for years). I didn't feel drastic improvement with my hypothyroidism until I went on NDT AND went gluten free(mostly Paleo).

There is little hard "proof" that NDT is better than synthetic. There are several reasons, the main one is that there will never be any of our gold standard double blind studies. This is because Synthroid brings in billions of dollars and is one of the top prescribed drugs. There would never be a study, costing millions in itself, to prove that a cheaper drug works better. The only way to know if it(or any other recommendation) works better FOR YOU is to do your research, find an NDT educated doctor, and try it out for awhile.

I hope none of my response has angered anyone, that is so not my intent! I hope you all understand this is a topic that is close my heart and I just want to spread the knowledge that I have gained through my experiences so they many help you also!

girlcat36
January 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Agree with everything you said, queenieheather!

I have been stable so long on natural thyroid, when I was on synthetic it was a carousel of dosage changes and blood tests.

girlcat36
January 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Agree with everything you said, queenieheather!

I have been stable so long on natural thyroid, when I was on synthetic it was a carousel of dosage changes and blood tests.

queenieheather
January 21st, 2014, 09:13 PM
Yes the ups and downs are the worst! Definitely look into a gluten free or paleo diet for Hashi's!