PDA

View Full Version : Are these elastics bad for my hair?

Shibe
November 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I have a 500 count box of these

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7HxbOswsBO8/ToXMMysYZmI/AAAAAAAACSs/W0Wnv-pSLRY/s1600/bestyselastics2.jpg

And I snip them out. Is e price worth the risk of damage?

DJgang
November 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I would not use those at all. They look harsh to me.

Madora
November 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Those little elastic bands are not harmful...provided that you take them off properly. Never just pull them off. Take them off as you put them on.

They're only good for holding small amounts of hair. I used the black BLAX tiny elastics for years with no problems.

leslissocool
November 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't snip them out, rather undo them or cut it off (making sure no hair is cut, of couse).

I have the type that can't be reused once you stretch them. My hemline is on my siggy, I wear braids exclusively and if I do a bun it's always in braids. So far those are the only elastics that stay on my hair and don't give me damage. I think those are meant for braids though, not exactly for a pony as they are very small.

gingerclip
November 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Those look like the little silicone elastics that also come in clear and black. I use them regularly and it's my understanding that they are generally endorsed as hair safe. I will say that the clear ones I use never snag my hair, but the black ones do for some reason. So even thought the black ones blend into my hair better, I try to use the clear ones instead.

And I would think if you are cutting them out rather than pulling them out, you are less likely to get damage unless you accidentally cut your hair when doing so.

leslissocool
November 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Those look like the little silicone elastics that also come in clear and black. I use them regularly and it's my understanding that they are generally endorsed as hair safe. I will say that the clear ones I use never snag my hair, but the black ones do for some reason. So even thought the black ones blend into my hair better, I try to use the clear ones instead.

And I would think if you are cutting them out rather than pulling them out, you are less likely to get damage unless you accidentally cut your hair when doing so.

There are a diffent kind of black ones that are not the same as the clear ones! I bought them once by mistake (I buy black ones normally) same brand, but were very different. DH thinks I'm crazy because they look the same, but the material is different so I'm extra careful and now I open the box and double check.

Nadine <3
November 5th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I use them, but I cut them out otherwise they snag my hair.

Shibe
November 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I have very thin hair, and one holds my pony up just fine, for the most part. I'll probably use them less as I learn to do more with my hair. A few braids seem to be all I can figure out for now.

tetisheri72
November 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I use those to secure the end of my braids. I have thin, fine hair, and any other hair ties look hugely ridiculous, or slip out. I don't snip them out, but I just grab on loop and pull it apart, snapping the hair tie. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive.

gingerclip
November 5th, 2013, 01:06 PM
There are a diffent kind of black ones that are not the same as the clear ones! I bought them once by mistake (I buy black ones normally) same brand, but were very different. DH thinks I'm crazy because they look the same, but the material is different so I'm extra careful and now I open the box and double check.

I have definitely noticed that the material isn't the same. Unfortunately it's hard to tell until you open the package. I'll try to take a good look at the brand, so I don't buy it again.

PrincessBob
November 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I have some black ones I bought for the BEERd project in August. I have been using them for braid ends ever since and I find myself wearing accent braids more just because I have them. I generally cut them out.

jacqueline101
November 5th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I've used them with out problems. I do like them for holding my braid ends. I have a big quantity of them and you do have to take them out the way you put them in.

Anje
November 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Some people swear by that sort of hair tie. Personally, I find that they cause nasty little sharp kinks in my hair near where it's secured, so I won't use them. It's really a trial and error thing, though.

Kaelee
November 6th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't snip them out, rather undo them or cut it off (making sure no hair is cut, of couse).

I have the type that can't be reused once you stretch them. My hemline is on my siggy, I wear braids exclusively and if I do a bun it's always in braids. So far those are the only elastics that stay on my hair and don't give me damage. I think those are meant for braids though, not exactly for a pony as they are very small.

You are the poster child for braids and for those elastics. ;)

What brand do you use? People are saying they're different, I want to make sure I get the right ones.

vanillabones
November 6th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I use them on the ends of my braid. They are the only thing that will hold such a small amount of hair for me. I finish my braid a few inches from the ends so that the elastic isn't resting on my ends. They seem safe to me unless of course you pull them out they can really snag the hair so I have to be extra careful when you have no thickness to spare.

swearnsue
November 6th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I've been using them for over a year now to tie off my braids I wear while sleeping. Sometimes they will just slip off during the night though because I don't put them in too tightly.

They are very smooth and haven't hurt my hair as far as I can tell. I tried cutting them out once and snipped some hair in the process so now I just undo them or if my hair was oiled the night before they can just slip off.

Kaelee
November 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I use them on the ends of my braid. They are the only thing that will hold such a small amount of hair for me. I finish my braid a few inches from the ends so that the elastic isn't resting on my ends. They seem safe to me unless of course you pull them out they can really snag the hair so I have to be extra careful when you have no thickness to spare.

This....my dad uses them but he just rips them out. :shudder: There is a whole collection of them at his house, each with about 10-15 hairs snarled around it. :bigeyes: No wonder his hair looks awful. :(

BlazingHeart
November 6th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I use those for stitch markers in my knitting! Just wish the dollar store would get the colored ones in, as mine are all black.