PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a heat-using special occasion to you?

Bagginslover
November 5th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Question just for those of you who do use heat on special occasions. I was thinking how often I do it, and it was actually more times than I'd thought!

-work xmas party (I always have a new pretty dress, so I like my hair to set it off nicely)
-cosplay events, typically 3 a year, will heat style at least once per event, sometimes twice!
-any weddings during the year (just 1 last year, but of course it varys)
-special outings like a special birthday dinner etc.
-summer ball

In the last year it was 8 times, 8 times in a year I used heat styling, I'd guessed 3 before I actually counted!

Is that about a normal amount amongst us that heat style?

Flor
November 5th, 2013, 04:45 AM
This year I used curling wand once, on my birthday. Since then I found out I can get even better curls if I wash and dry my hair CG-way (no brushing and diffuser on low heat), so I haven't even been tempted. And I don't really care for too-straight hair now that it's longer. Oh well, some €100+ worth of useless gadgets sitting in my bathroom.

Kwantslonghair
November 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM
When ever it feel like it. Less than 8 times a year. Usually just for myself because I am the only one who likes my hair long

redtuss
November 5th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Well... I haven't used heat since I was maybe 10 and my mom used to "waffle" my hair (is that even the right word?) sometimes so that it would be a bit wavy :)

So it's very easy to restrain from using since it's never been in my routine (but I have been doing other bad things, like teasing and hairspray!). So, nothing so far consitutes using heat for me :)

Perhaps a really special occasions, like a weeding, would want me to get some curls going with heat but since I have never tried it - maybe I would be satisfied with braid waves of sock waves or something like that :) I would hope so!
There's nothing like going straight against what you normally look like to feel extra-pretty, for me with straight hair that means curls! :D I always feel prettier when my hair it twirly from braids or buns.

Chromis
November 5th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Never! Even for my wedding I did rag curls.

Well, never might not be accurate. My mother used to torture me by using some kind of hot flexible curling *things* in my hair for special occasions because that is what *she* thought was proper. It made my hair a tangled snarl though and the curl fell out in about an hour... I've never used heat as an adult and don't plan to start! That was traumatic. shudder:

askan
November 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
I've never had heat styling as part of my routin either. I've been to a salon I think five times in the last two years and they always blowdry and sometimes straighten, but I don't care very much for straight hair and I'm planning to stay away from salons.
Also I think some no-heat curling methods make more natural looking curls.

So I don't think I will ever use heat for a special occasion but for a long awaited party, like New Year's, a wedding or someone's 50th birthday I might tease and spray and such things.

Rio040113
November 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I used to straighten just my tips and side fringe/bangs about once a month and curl with my curling wand about once a month as well. That's just an average though, sometimes it'd be twice one month and then not at all the next. Now I'm trying to perfect my heat free curls and I've finally accepted my 1a hair is plenty straight enough without the aid of heat :lol: All I do now is lightly blow-dry my (straight/curved) full fringe/bangs around a barrel brush and if it's a date with DBF or a meal out etc I'll run my GHD's over my face framing layers just once, seeing as without the weight my length has they sit more 1b/1c.

TL;DR - Perfect heat free curls are my mission. Blow-dry my fringe/bangs only, for dates with DBF and family occasions I run over my face framing layers once with my straighteners :)

ETA: I oil my length as usual as I still always air-dry it, I don't use any other products like hairspray anymore, I'm looking into getting some AO gel to help curls last but we'll see!

Bagginslover
November 5th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Just pointing out the bolded bit from my OP ;) Most people that have replied so far don't use heat at all. Not saying you shouldn't reply, but its not what I was after ;)

Question just for those of you who do use heat on special occasions. I was thinking how often I do it, and it was actually more times than I'd thought!

-work xmas party (I always have a new pretty dress, so I like my hair to set it off nicely)
-cosplay events, typically 3 a year, will heat style at least once per event, sometimes twice!
-any weddings during the year (just 1 last year, but of course it varys)
-special outings like a special birthday dinner etc.
-summer ball

In the last year it was 8 times, 8 times in a year I used heat styling, I'd guessed 3 before I actually counted!

Is that about a normal amount amongst us that heat style?

ositarosita
November 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM
This year it was seeing my SO for the first time after 2 months, meeting Meisha Tate , my wedding at the end of November beginning of December ... then for trims I prefer my hair straight because it's easier to handle and I only trim once a year.

HintOfMint
November 5th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I think law school formals, weddings, the occasional date, the odd heat-craving, an after finals pick-me-up, graduation, and of course trims at the salon, are all fair play for heat for me. So I guess in the last year, give or take a month or two, I've used heat for:
1. Barrister's Ball
2. My friend's wedding where I was a bridesmaid
3. My first date with a long time friend--I like to think the curls were the cherry on top of a big neon sign that screamed, "this is a date, kiss me dammit!" (pardon the horrible mixed metaphor).
4. Another date with the same person, going to see one of my favorite bands
5. Three trims
6. One blowout to treat myself after a final
7. One blowout just because
8. Two trims
9. Graduation

Oh wow... that's a lot of times I've used heat... Ah well, my hair has still managed to be in decent shape. Ten isn't so bad for a 12-13 month period, although the bulk of it was in a 6 month window. But I don't regret any of the times I used heat. I looked nice, and felt glamorous.

AmyBeth
November 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Never again. I can get braid waves, bun waves or perfectly straight without heat. Takes a little longer, that's all, but my hair really looks healthier without heat.

Seeshami
November 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Never unfortunately because The Naughty Mess doesn't curl under any circumstance.

The Naughty Mess says, "The universe will implode if I curl or exist for more then one hour in a figure 8 bun. I do it all for you."

Yeah. Suuure

redtuss
November 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Never unfortunately because The Naughty Mess doesn't curl under any circumstance.

The Naughty Mess says, "The universe will implode if I curl or exist for more then one hour in a figure 8 bun. I do it all for you."

Yeah. Suuure

Thank you, Mr Mess, we appreciate it! ;)

Magalo
November 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I always blowdry my bangs and curl them under with a flat iron. Sometimes when I either want to look more polished with my hair down, or if they won't cooperate that day, I straighten a couple of strands around my face as they are shorter (the rest of my hair is perfectly straight).

When I wear my hair down on day 2, I have braids waves and sometimes those same shorter strands aren't really wavy, so I give them a slight wave with my flat iron. Not very often though.

My hair is stick straight, and if I want curly hair that day (like at christmas) I'll curl them with a curling iron (borrowed!). It really doesn't happen often (like once a year?) because it takes a long time and my hair doesn't really take curls. I might try no heat curls next time.

sourgrl
November 5th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Considering breaking it out for my nephews wedding next month... maybe...

DweamGoiL
November 5th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Weddings and Funerals :)

All jokes aside - I actually purchased one of those flat iron thingies years ago (about 6 or so) and it's still in the packaging it came in.

wildkratt
November 5th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I heat style my hair on religious holidays (which are only twice a year for me!), little celebrations like after finals, hanging out with friends or family, and my birthday, which was just a few days ago. :) I do practically none in the summer because it's too hot and humid, making my hair frizz like there's no tomorrow. But I take advantage of the crisp, cold air of fall and winter and style it more then.

gnome82
November 5th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I had my hair heat styled by a hairdresser for my wedding last year as my hair was too short for me to do anything nice enough for a wedding at the time.

I have not used heat on my hair this year and am not planning to.

I may use heat to style my hair for a wedding early in 2015 but if I am thinking that my hair will be long enough for a braid or updo that "looks" appropriate for a wedding by then.

Anje
November 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Last time I really had my hair heat-styled was for my brother's wedding, in which I was a bridesmaid. And I'm slightly surprised, looking at the calendar, to realize that that was in 2009. LOL!

Otherwise, I've flat ironed the bangs that I cut last year when they're especially unruly -- bangs get trimmed frequently enough that I'm not worried about long-term damage. I've also blow-dried infrequently, though I turn the temperature lower and lower as my hair heads toward being dry.

cheetahfast
I used rollers about a month ago for a church luncheon. It worked okay, but not well enough to repeat (I didn't straighten my hair first so it kinda loosened my curls, but it all looked frizzy).

Last year when I got highlights I got my hair blownout. For me I guess Christmas or my SO's bday would be a reason to. I'm looking for a reason to get my hair blown out in a salon.
I don't use heat myself since it used to take 2 hours to straighten my BSL length hair, now I'm at hip and that'd be too much time. I have problems justifying spending the money to get my hair done rather than the heat :lol:.

Diamond.Eyes
In the past 4 years I have used heat 6 times. I don't feel using heat is bad at all if you do it in moderation, don't set your hot tool over 200 degrees F, and if you use a really good heat protectant, you should be fine. I believe 'TorrinPaige' said in a youtube tutorial that she uses heat on her hair about twice a year for special occasions, and her hair is flawless :shrug:. I haven't noticed any damage when I use a curling iron in the fashion I have suggested. I just deep condition my hair afterward.

-For my best friends wedding

-Senior Prom
-High school Graduation

None

-For my state board of Cosmetology exam
-For a job interview
-For my birthday dinner in La Jolla, which was in April :)

The next time I plan to use heat is a for certified makeup artist seminar in SoHo, NYC that work is sending me to in January. :flower:

jacqueline101
November 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Im going to give my opinion on this subject. Never ever never. Meaning never using heat. I did make the no heat change when I first joined. I took and unplugged mine and put them in my wooden treasure chest. I do use my blow drier only if I'm sick or going out so I don't get sick. I use the cool shot and heat protector.

Buddaphlyy
November 5th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I got my hair styled with heat at the salon for my graduation pictures this year. She put the flexi-rods in and I sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. My hair came out nicely and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Especially since I do like roller setting my hair.

Ambystoma
November 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I've flatironed 4 or 5 times this year so far, and they were all for extra special nights out with my SO (even though we've been together 11 years, we still go on fancy dates sometimes :crush:).
I'll probably do it a couple more times before the year is out for the same reasons - he really loves my hair flatironed, and I think it looks lovely too, even though I'm very fond of my heat free big curls for everyday "looking pretty with hair down" occasions :)

I'm sneaky and get double use out of my straightening sessions since I much prefer to trim straight hair,so I schedule my trims to coincide with days that it's been straightened :laugh:

AmyBeth
November 5th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I got my hair styled with heat at the salon for my graduation pictures this year. She put the flexi-rods in and I sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. My hair came out nicely and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Especially since I do like roller setting my hair.

I would consider doing that. That's how they deep condition and set at the George Michael salons, so it must be OK:cool:.

Theia
November 6th, 2013, 05:01 AM
I've used my hairdryer for 4 times the previous month due to headlice! I haven't been using heat the last 2 years. My nephew gave me headlice in october and it's proven that heat kills them... It kills my hair too :(

LadyCelestina
November 6th, 2013, 05:08 AM
I blow dry the roots when I need to go out quickly,or if I'm cold. I use the low setting.
I'm not sure if I want to try "serious heat" like a flat iron on all my hair. I do flat iron my bangs sometimes and because of that I know I'd have to kill my hair with the flat iron to get it at least semi-straight.

Upside Down
November 6th, 2013, 06:06 AM
I'm one of those he he
Note that I don't use flat iron, but blow dry it straight at the salon.

This year:
3 corporate seminars I organized
My wedding
Once for no reason.
Planning to do one more for bellydance show in December.

I love straight hair, I won't lie. :lol:

RedNymph
November 6th, 2013, 06:22 AM
I use it about once a week. My hair is just so difficult and my hair straightener is just a godsend. It makes it look nice and neat.

shutterpillar
November 6th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I heat style my bangs with a blow dryer (on low using the cool setting) almost daily since they get trimmed every 6ish weeks anyway, but heat does not touch the length. I use these foam rollers (http://www.amazon.com/Conair-62502z-Medium-Spiral-Rollers/dp/B0051E3426/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383751468&sr=8-3&keywords=bendy+foam+rollers) to curl my hair for special occasions. They work really well for me. :)

HOWEVER. If I for some reason needed to heat style the length, then I think a few times a year with heat protectant would be fine. :)

swearnsue
November 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
My own funeral.

kaydana
November 6th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Any formal occasion where I don't have enough time beforehand to do heat free curls (or the heat free curls don't work or look the way I want them to). All of yours sound like events I'd be willing to use heat on my hair for, I just don't go to quite so many. I think I've used heat on my hair once this year.

thirstylocks
November 6th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Weddings, bridal showers, engagement parties, etc etc where my mother basically forces me to do my hair because it tends to look like a rats nests when I don't heat style it.
Sometimes at a party, on halloween, my birthday, etc when my best friends force me to fix it lol.
When I see my long distance boyfriend and I want to look extra pretty for him =)

It averages out to once a month. I wish it were less, but alas...