PDA

View Full Version : Post Heat Rx Suggestions

LaurelSpring
November 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I broke my rule. I haven't used heat on my hair in a long time. I saw a youtube style I liked and I was having one of those moments when I wanted to look extra special and do something different so I tried this style. First, I tried it with my daughter's straightener and then a few days later dug out my old curling iron and tried it again. Just after using an iron a couple of times, my hair feels awful. I am so upset with myself! I cant believe that I use to do this every day. Now I am freaking out about the potential damage I could have done after so many years of diligent care. I am worried that I have done some sort of irreparable damage and mad at myself. Maybe I am being overly dramatic or upset. I don't know. I did a good SMT soaking and plan to douse it in coconut oil and do another SMT. I was hoping for any other suggestions to minimize damage and maximize relief. I have learned my lesson. Its amazing how I seem to forget things I learned a long time ago and then have to remind myself why I stopped doing it in the first place.

Thanks for any suggestions!

AmyBeth
November 4th, 2013, 11:30 AM
SMTs are wonderful, aren't they? You've been on the forum so long, you know the drill-you can't undo the damage. You can only baby your hair and S&D. I hadn't used heat on my hair for over a year when I went to a new stylist and she used a blow dryer and flat iron (I was talking to another client and didn't even notice). Afterward, I decided never to go to a salon again. I did my usual S&D session and definitely noticed more splits and white dots for a few months. We both have that fine hair that has a hard time taking any abuse. Look into non heat ways of getting curls. Just yesterday, I bought 6 of those smaller spin pins to make little tiny buns to sleep in and have tighter bun waves!

lapushka
November 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Just go through your hair and if you can't find any white dots, you're good!

LaurelSpring
November 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks AmyBeth and lapushka. I will be looking for dots! I don't know what got into me! Hey, I just made a discovery. Holding my hair in front of the computer screen makes it so much easier to see the ends.

HintOfMint
November 4th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Well you already did or are in the process of doing what I'd suggest--an SMT and heavy coconut oiling. You should be fine, don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone gets those heatstyling fits every once in a while. I had a similar episode about a month ago where I actually went to the salon for a full blowout with curling iron curls and hairspray to top it off. I, too, don't see myself doing that again for quite some time and I'm going to go back to my Caruso* rollers.

*Well, they're not really Caruso, they're a knockoff brand that billed itself as being used on some Twilight character's hair, so of course there's Twilight crap all over the unit. :rolleyes: But it works just as well and it was cheaper, which is why I bought it.

LaurelSpring
November 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks HintofMint that makes me feel a little better. I am sitting with coconut oil on it now. I am going to hit it with another SMT tomorrow and maybe look for a good deep conditioner. I never get those because I never feel like I really need them, but maybe I should have one on hand for situations like this. I have an old Caruso set. I keep forgetting about it. I should have dug that out first and tried it before the curling iron. Maybe I could get the same look with that and not have to worry so much when I get these urges.