PDA

View Full Version : Brace yourselves, Winter is coming...

HintOfMint
November 3rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Today was the first real chilly day of the season up where I live. My face felt frozen and the air was cold and dry. So my first thought, of course, is how will this affect my hair?

I realized that I'd have to put my humectant-loaded leave-in conditioner away for the season and switch to a more emollient based leave-in. Until I find one--right now I'm thinking of Aveda's Anti-Humectant Pomade--I'm sticking to oils for now.

So how do you change up your hair products or routine in the winter?

ShieldMayden
November 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
I use a bit more of my Macademia hair oil than normally, and I make sure to keep it braided if it's not in an updo to keep it from overdrying. Also, wear a hat. I own so many cute winter hats (granted the dollar store near me sells adorable ones for $3 each so every once in a while I treat myself!) :)

Quixii
November 3rd, 2013, 08:10 PM
Honestly, my hair seems to go like this for the seasons:
Winter: Oh, it's cold and windy and rainy, I better wear my hair up to protect it from the elements and keep wet hair off my warm neck
Spring: Oh, it's really rainy, I better wear my hair up because my hair looks terrible when it's been rained on
Summer: Oh, it's really hot, I better wear my hair up so I don't get over heated
Fall: Hm, the weather is pretty good, but I think I'll wear it up just to protect it
:laugh:

patienceneeded
November 3rd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Where I live, winter primarily means rain...rain, and yes, more rain. Rain.

I'm typically more concerned with keeping it up in a way that allows for the hood on my gore-tex jacket to be yanked up over my head at a moments notice. I hate wet hair.

sunflowersmiles
November 3rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
How do you ladies wear your hair under winter hats? Mine always seems uncomfortable.

Wildcat Diva
November 3rd, 2013, 08:31 PM
I like wearing a calorimetry, so I can still wear buns and hairtoys.

ShieldMayden
November 3rd, 2013, 08:47 PM
Double post... somehow an hour apart. NO idea how that happened except that I hit "post" and then went to take a shower and wash my hair. Whoops. Sorry!!! :(

Anyhow, I find braided updos easier to put under hats than non-braided ones. They're less likely to get messy when I remove said hat.

Quixii
November 3rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
How do you ladies wear your hair under winter hats? Mine always seems uncomfortable.
I either wear as flat a bun as I can and just shove it under there, or wear hats or warm headbands that accommodate buns (such as my bun-hat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10914&attachmentid=2171)).

SerinaDaith
November 3rd, 2013, 09:06 PM
I live in a dry climate so oil is a year round thing. I try to make sure it's dry before going out in the cold. A bunch of years ago I had swimming in the middle of my day for high school. I would have my hair freeze just from running from swimming class to whatever the next class was. I don't want to repeat that. I am not a hat person so even though I knit and crochet hats I make for myself tend to get given to others. I need to make some sort of slouchie baggy hat and see if I will wear it.

Buddaphlyy
November 3rd, 2013, 09:07 PM
I have started to add honey and oil to my deep conditioners to keep my moisture up. I also got some extra scarves to wear underneath my hats. I plan on adding some braid extensions this week as my protective style for the next 2 months.

Chromis
November 3rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Winter: Oh, it's cold and windy and rainy and snowy for me!, I better wear my hair up to protect it from the elements and keep wet hair off my warm neck
Spring: Oh, it's really rainy, I better wear my hair up because my hair looks terrible when it's been rained on
Summer: Oh, it's really hot, I better wear my hair up so I don't get over heated
Fall: Hm, the weather is pretty good, but I think I'll wear it up just to protect it

This is me too! Only it is pretty windy sometimes in fall too and I hate having my hair tangled in my coat...

I might use a touch more Panacea, but not much. As for winter hats, I've posted mine in other threads I'm sure, but I knit my own. Tams work really well and are perfect over a log roll. They look more like a toque (beanie for 'mericans) when you wear them over an updo only there is space for hair! I have one or two that are super slouchy, but even a normal tam works just fine. The super slouchy ones can accomodate hair sticks or go on *over* a tam if it is really cold though. In fall/spring I wear the ever popular Calorimetry pattern but that is not warm enough for winter here.

animetor7
November 3rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
Spring through Fall I am strictly no cones, however in the Winter I find my hair needs a bit more protection, so I use a VERY light amount of a serum with water soluble cones to help keep in some more moisture and have an extra layer of protection against the deadly combination of freezing outside, which is drying, and then overly hot inside from heaters being on all of the time. Other than that I try to oil a bit more and stretch washes in the winter. Also I never go out with even damp hair as I might in the spring or summer because 1: that's really cold! and 2: I don't want my hair to freeze and possibly break off.

HintOfMint
November 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
Spring through Fall I am strictly no cones, however in the Winter I find my hair needs a bit more protection, so I use a VERY light amount of a serum with water soluble cones to help keep in some more moisture and have an extra layer of protection against the deadly combination of freezing outside, which is drying, and then overly hot inside from heaters being on all of the time. Other than that I try to oil a bit more and stretch washes in the winter. Also I never go out with even damp hair as I might in the spring or summer because 1: that's really cold! and 2: I don't want my hair to freeze and possibly break off.

On a side note, which serum do you use that has water soluble cones?

florenonite
November 4th, 2013, 02:59 AM

Braids. I make sure to wear one with a bit of extra space so I can fit one braid under; my ski helmet, on the other hand, is so close-fitting that the only way I can wear my hair to ski is in two French braids.

jupiterinleo
November 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I don't notice much of a change in my hair during the winter, except I put more oil on my scalp before washing as it tends to get drier.
I wear my hair almost exclusively in braids all winter so I can still wear a warm, comfortable hat.
Also, this is the first winter in a few years where I can actually wear a hat! Bangs... :rolleyes:

jacqueline101
November 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Winter is cold in the Midwest so I wear mine up and in the past I've oiled the ends with baby oil. I might try my oil sheen I like it better. I like the fact you spray it and go its easier less messy.

clioariane
November 4th, 2013, 06:39 AM
haha Game of Thrones infiltrating my hair routine...

More oils and scarves for me! (and trying not to lose my head)

Stray_mind
November 4th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Well, i don't really do anything different, just wear a warm cap on my head and keep my hair up more. :)

farmlass
November 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM
It's getting cold again, so I need to find some way of fitting my hair under a hat. Last year I braided it, stuffed it down the back of my shirt and threw a beanie hat on. Horribly damaging to hair I know, and my braid would work itself loose, sneak over my shoulder and end up dipping in unmentionable mess. Plus I have just been told I have to wear a hat of some sort in the milking parlour as there is a new teat washer that runs on a zipline and it likes snagging hair. I'm thinking about a bandana-type thing over a bun?

shola-faye
November 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM
I bought a hat with a satin lining, I mighgt introduce hot oil treatments once a week :)

TiaKitty
November 4th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I put a humidifier in my room to help with the dry air...

chen bao jun
November 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Last winter, I wore a satin sleep cap under my hats (which are all custom knit to be extra large by me.

I bought a hat with a satin lining, I mighgt introduce hot oil treatments once a week :)

animetor7
November 4th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I use a serum that was made by pantene as part of their curly line. However looking further into it, it appears that they have added dimethicone to their new formula which is not water soluble. So I'll have to go searching again for a new serum once I'm finally out of the bottle I have. :( Oh well.

LaurelSpring
November 4th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I don't like winter. I try to figure out what to do or what changes to make every year. I have tried wearing double combs under hats (like African butterfly or Hairzings). They work really well. I also tried wearing a silk cap under hats. For the last two years I wore calorimetrys. I made several. I like the idea of getting some new fun hats and wearing them a lot more. I have considered getting a hat that I could maybe just plop and go with. One thing that helps a lot is doing the monthly dusting microtrims. Before I did that I had Velcro ends that were so static-y and stuck out. Keeping my ends trimmed helps with that a lot. I do feel the need to oil more in winter and wash less.

shutterpillar
November 4th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I switch to mostly CO washing during the winter and try to wear my hair up and under a hat or hood if I'm going outdoors.

Suze2012
November 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I don't wear hats nor do I put my hair up.

Now it's got colder though..down to about 12 degrees I'm back to using humectants - spritzing with a mix of glycerin & rosewater..my hair loves it and I use it all the way through to Springtime.

Shibe
November 4th, 2013, 02:53 PM
It's Winter?

Still Summer in sunny Miami ;)

Chamomile betty
November 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Winter: Oh, it's cold and windy and rainy, I better wear my hair up to protect it from the elements and keep wet hair off my warm neck

OMG, I luv that lol.
Me too!

I just make sure to keep the scarves away. I hate that they rub so I wear my hair up.
I also wash less. I try to go 2x a week at the most. As well, trying to keep my hair moisturized.

Foxylocks
November 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I just keep the same routine. Wash w/ shampoo bar once every three days, thick coats of conditioner daily in the shower with cool water rinse at the end of said shower, goes into wet braid. Because of my braid, I don't have a problem with hats.