PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, do your hair pin stay in?? Good grief!

swearnsue
November 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
I bought some hair pins recently and they came in two sizes in the package, 2.5 and 3 inches I think. I read how to use them and put my hair up with them and at first I thought OMG these are so comfortable! But they don't stay in securely and fall out completely in about 10 minutes.

What the bleep am I doing wrong?

I brushed my hair forward, like Madora suggested for sleeping, braided it, folded it back and put in the pins by "grabbing" some braid, scooped some scalp hair while changing direction of the pen towards the center of my head and center of braid.

Any suggestions? This works pretty well with regular bobby pins, but I think the hair pins would be gentler on my fine hair.

Thank you in advance!

TiaKitty
November 3rd, 2013, 05:23 PM
I kind of weave the pin in between scalp hair and bun hair.

Are you talking about Amish pins? Because they work best if you hold them so the tips are together, and then when they're in you let go, and they spring apart, and that helps them stay, too.

Yozhik
November 3rd, 2013, 06:24 PM
Maybe your hair isn't quite long enough yet? I think I remember my buns requiring a certain "density" to get pins to hold them. Also, maybe shorter pins would help?

Additionally, if your hair is super silky smooth, maybe your hair texture is too slippery and spitting them out. Perhaps a ficcare or other clamp thing might work better? Or a hair fork?

jacqueline101
November 3rd, 2013, 06:24 PM
If you're talking about the goody spin pins they hold fabulous in my hair. I screw them in and make sure I sure plenty of hair. When you take them out unscrew them don't pull them out it stretches them or at least it did mine.

Wildcat Diva
November 3rd, 2013, 07:49 PM
I second the goody spin pins.

And for sleeping? I do a cinnabun on the top of my head, use a spin pin, add a sleep cap and I'm ready for bedtime. It looks like I have a tumor on top of my head though.

Anje
November 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
How are you orienting the pins? Amish style pins work best when you put then in just like they're little hairforks. (That is, so they lie flattish on your scalp, just like they'd lie on the table.) Not oriented vertically like bobby pins.

Olivia23
November 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
I know if I use cones in my shampoo or conditioner it makes my hair so slippery that any kind of pins in my hair slide out. Maybe that's what going on with you?

Eichan
November 3rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
I can never get ANY pins to hold in my hair unless they are extra long or spinpins.

I REALLY like spin pins.

Lyv
November 4th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I can't get pins to stay in my hair either, they slip out or just don't hold the hair in place. Hopefully you can get them to work for you!

ravenreed
November 4th, 2013, 01:53 AM
I have much better luck with crinkled Amish Pins or Spin Pins. I prefer Amish Pins for comfort, however.

TiaKitty
November 4th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Definitely Spin Pins, FTW!!! I have oodles of them... I also love the Amish pins, though... they achieve a different kind of hold.

swearnsue
November 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to try again and use all the advice. I think I'm not weaving the pins through enough hair and I'll hold the ends of the pin together as I weave it, then let go.

My hair is slippery too I guess, I have trouble keeping my hairsticks in too. Of course that could be user error and not because of slippery hair!

Thank you again.

TiaKitty
November 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM
It may be the slip that's the problem. I don't have a problem using them but I'm far from slippery!

Have you tried the Spin Pins? Goody makes some that are good quality, and you can find them just about anywhere now.

summergreen
November 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Ordinary pins from Boots or wherever don't stay in very well on me, but the slightly longer pins from dancewear suppliers hold really well. As well as the extra length they are a bit narrower and don't splay out at the ends. They also sell them on Amazon :)

swearnsue
November 5th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I've seen the spin pins for sale but they don't look like something I could sleep on. If my hair was thick, the pins would get lost in the hair and be OK, but my hair is thin and fine and even a small spin pin might be too big. However, this is to be used on top of my head so maybe they would work.

How do you use them? Turn them, like screw them into the hair?

TiaKitty
November 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Yep, exactly... then the opposite way to remove them. I wouldn't sleep on them, but if they're up high on my head I can sleep *with* them in a bun. Or I use them to anchor down my braids for crown/milkmaid braids.

jeanniet
November 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I never could get Amish pins to stay in my hair, straight or crinkled. They'd just pop out after a few minutes. Same with Bunhead pins and anything else. The only pins that have ever stayed for me are the Quattro Amish style pins. I can even make a quasi-bun/French twist with them now (and my hair is only SL) and it will stay all day.

caren
November 5th, 2013, 12:04 PM
My hair is slippery too I guess, I have trouble keeping my hairsticks in too. Of course that could be user error and not because of slippery hair!

Thank you again.

Looking at your sig picture, your hair looks really, really smooth (and shiny! and lovely!). I think your hair is slippery (you could have waaaay worse problems. Your hair is so glossy. Love.). Do you find pins work better when your hair's dirtier? That would be the smoking gun of slippery hair.
I find wood grips my hair better than metal. Metal pins just wiggle right out.
(Though I do OK with acrylics, which are smooth. Go figure). Have you tried wood sticks or forks with some grooves in them? Or a grippier material, like antler?

swearnsue
November 5th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Thank you caren for the compliments! Gosh, well I guess my hair is too slippery. I've tried the different pinning techniques and they helped but the pretty much almost leap out of my hair!

Thanks again for the compliments.