PDA

View Full Version : Learning to use Jojoba Oil and Shea Butter for Serborrheic Dermatitis

Kivamaki
November 3rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
So upon reading I've come across that Jojoba oil and Shea Butter can both help with dry scalp, and dry hair. I have pretty bad seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and face. I'm unsure how to approach using both of them though, should I mix somehow, or use separately? Or use one at different times. I was reading that Shea Butter can help with dry itchy flaky scalp, but then it mentioned to not put on your roots, only your ends. How is it going to help your scalp if I can't put it near the roots? Same with jojoba oil.

I just need general direction on how and when to use these. IE: before/after shower, dry/wet/damp.

Currently I rinse my hair twice a week with ACV, no shampoo/conditioner. Sometimes I can go with once a week, as I have pretty short hair. Any help would be great!

DweamGoiL
November 3rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
I use a small amount of Jojoba oil on my length about 1/week when I brush my hair with my trusty BBB. I have read it is good for the skin as well, and I did try applying it once to my face when my eczema was acting up. I didn't notice a significant improvement in my skin and the oil clogged my pores and made me break out so i use it only for hair now. I had the same results with Shea Butter but in reverse. It works well to moisturize my skin not on my face because it also clogs my pores, but too heavy for my hair.

McFearless
November 3rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
I would try both on wet skin but not together. Don't worry about getting shea butter on your roots.

ladyfey
November 4th, 2013, 04:47 AM
But seborrheic dermatitis is not at all dry scalp, usually it is overly oily and has way too much sebum production and an over growth of yeast. Not the same as a dry scalp at all.

Nini
November 4th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I would test it and see what works best. Shea butter can be a bit sticky, so maybe that works better for you at night. Either would be good to use after a shower to seal moisture in your skin.

I use both on and off for my eczema. It hasn't been a cure for me, but anything that adds moisture/help me retain moisture is good.

Good luck finding a routine that works for you:)

Firefox7275
November 4th, 2013, 05:19 AM
So upon reading I've come across that Jojoba oil and Shea Butter can both help with dry scalp, and dry hair. I have pretty bad seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and face. I'm unsure how to approach using both of them though, should I mix somehow, or use separately? Or use one at different times. I was reading that Shea Butter can help with dry itchy flaky scalp, but then it mentioned to not put on your roots, only your ends. How is it going to help your scalp if I can't put it near the roots? Same with jojoba oil.

I just need general direction on how and when to use these. IE: before/after shower, dry/wet/damp.

Currently I rinse my hair twice a week with ACV, no shampoo/conditioner. Sometimes I can go with once a week, as I have pretty short hair. Any help would be great!

What does your dermatologist recommend? Seborrhoeic dermatitis is NOT a dry flaky itchy scalp, that would be another form of dermatitis or less commonly xerosis. SD is a condition where extra sebum is produced and this feeds malassezia/ causes irritation itself due to the fatty acids (oleic/ stearic/ palmitic), so it's normally recommended to wash (with shampoo) your hair regularly.

I wouldn't use shea butter for SD since oleic acid is proven to be irritant, stearic acid feeds malassezia - shea is rich in both fatty acids. If it works you either don't have SD or the fats are protecting your scalp from another substance such as sulphate surfactants (in many commercial shampoos, shower gels, hand washes, toothpastes, box dyes, aqueous cream).

Using shea was how I identified shampoo bubbles running down my arm was the trigger for my elbow patch of atopic eczema - when I quit it healed within a week. I had my mother switch off sulphate shampoos and her SD quickly reduced by approximately half.

Neither shea nor jojoba can penetrate the hair, nor can they moisturise (add or increase water) since they do not contain any water. Without meaning to be rude it sounds like you are selecting really poor sources for your research.

Kivamaki
November 4th, 2013, 10:54 PM
What does your dermatologist recommend? Seborrhoeic dermatitis is NOT a dry flaky itchy scalp, that would be another form of dermatitis or less commonly xerosis. SD is a condition where extra sebum is produced and this feeds malassezia/ causes irritation itself due to the fatty acids (oleic/ stearic/ palmitic), so it's normally recommended to wash (with shampoo) your hair regularly.

I wouldn't use shea butter for SD since oleic acid is proven to be irritant, stearic acid feeds malassezia - shea is rich in both fatty acids. If it works you either don't have SD or the fats are protecting your scalp from another substance such as sulphate surfactants (in many commercial shampoos, shower gels, hand washes, toothpastes, box dyes, aqueous cream).

Using shea was how I identified shampoo bubbles running down my arm was the trigger for my elbow patch of atopic eczema - when I quit it healed within a week. I had my mother switch off sulphate shampoos and her SD quickly reduced by approximately half.

Neither shea nor jojoba can penetrate the hair, nor can they moisturise (add or increase water) since they do not contain any water. Without meaning to be rude it sounds like you are selecting really poor sources for your research.

My dermatologist did say I have Seborrheic derm, while its not a dry scalp I get endless flakes and it does get itchy a lot, especially when I get hot. I read quite a bit of posts here on LHC that jojoba oil helps with SD and I believe I read in live strong that either jojoba or Shea butter helped with SD. Something along the lines of jojoba oil has the same makeup as the sebrum our scalp which prevents it from over producing oil.

I ordered this: http://www.mama-nature.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121:proskin-seb-derm&catid=11:products&Itemid=472

Which maybe was a mistake. I also ordered Nizoral 2% off amazon and may give that a try. I just don't want have to use it for life.