PDA

View Full Version : So, I asked my mom if I had any need of a trim just yet...

LauraLongLocks
November 3rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
... and she said, "Well, I don't see any split... well, maybe, no... hmm, I... Yes, you should cut it to bra strap length, just to get rid of all the dead ends." I was shocked! She assured me it "was only about an inch to the bottom of my bra strap." I think it's more like 2 or 2.5 inches.

I think what she is seeing is the ends from my layers that are still growing out. And I may have a few split ends here and there, but I have been regularly microtrimming and S&D. What do you think of my hemline, fellow longhairs? Take a look at my signature pic. Does the hemline look uneven, thin, and scraggly? I'm about 3" until I reach waist, and that's where I'll stay to grow out my layers before growing anymore.

My mom has a very short haircut right now, and I think she has finally decided that's where she likes it. Super short. Shorter than most pixie styles. And she has super fine hair, with zero volume. She never was patient with my hair growing up, so I always had it shoulder length or above, usually in a pixie. I'm apt to think that her opinion of needing to cut 2+ inches is rash because she has never had patience for longer hair. I've never seen her with hair longer than shoulder length.

bananahanna
November 3rd, 2013, 02:52 PM
Your hemline looks incredibly thick from that picture. I see no need to cut whatsoever!

DweamGoiL
November 3rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
I agree. Hemline is on point ;) If you find the odd split ends, I would just continue to S&D and let it grow on.

Kelikea
November 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
If she thinks you should cut off "all the dead ends" you would have to shave your head. Hair is dead once it leaves the follicle. If you really meant split ends, just S& D the ones you can find, if you want to keep your length. Your hemline looks thick and even.

Lee's Girl
November 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Definitely doesn't look like you need to cut it off - hemline looks great! I'm actually very impressed (I just had to cut a good 2-2 1/2 inches off mine last month because of VERY uneven hemline, massive splits, etc - I'm still in mourning). I'd say the same thing as the others - S&D as needed, but no major cut needed. :D

LauraLongLocks
November 3rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
Okay, I thought it was her imagination. Yes, she calls it "dead ends" and means split ends plus frayed, uneven hemline, I think. And yes, all of it would have to come off if I didn't want any DEAD hair... it's all dead. I was actually thinking it was in good enough condition to delay my next regularly scheduled microtrim, and I was expecting her to concur. Oh well, it's my head, and I don't think it looks bad at all. By her own inability to find any split ends, it is evident that I don't need any massive cutting right now. Thank you for your opinions.

jacqueline101
November 3rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Your hair looks thick and lovely. I don't think it needs trimmed or cut.

LauraLongLocks
November 3rd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Thank you. I agree. I don't know what my mom was smokin'.

HintOfMint
November 3rd, 2013, 07:37 PM
I think it's a short hair thing, to be a little impatient with anything other than super fresh-cut ends. Your mother's default is probably a trim that's just a part of routine maintenance. I remember having short hair and whenever it grew out just a little bit, I would get so fussy about how "shaggy" my hair has become and I was all, "get me to a salon, STAT!"

So I would take her advice with a grain of salt, your hemline looks fine, I don't think you need a trim.

Rio040113
November 3rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Just seconding what everyone else has already said, you have a lovely thick hem :)

LauraLongLocks
November 3rd, 2013, 08:02 PM
HintofMint, you are probably right. It's probably just a short hair thing, needing to have perfectly fresh cut ends. And thanks to everyone for the continued unanimous opinion that my hemline looks good and doesn't need trimming/cutting.

SleepyTangles
November 4th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Laura, even if your hemline wasn't thick and nice (as it is), you just need a little patience to reach waist and start maintaining. Your mum seems exactly like my mum: hair past shoulder is all the same lenght to her ;)!
Don't go where she can't win: she probably consider as a "little trim" the lenght that for us poor lhcers is like, more than a season of growth!

browneyedsusan
November 4th, 2013, 06:31 AM
If you don't see any splits, let it ride. It's fine.

Your Dear Mom is just trying to save you from hair-hassle. She doesn't like fooling with her hair, and is trying to make your life easier by cutting your hair shorter. In her world, people don't enjoy long hair, so it's hard for her to get her head around it. Tell Dear Mom very lovingly, how much you enjoy brushing your hair, putting your hair up, trying new styles, and how great you feel with long hair. Don't say ANYTHING negative about your hair in front of Dear Mom. That will only reinforce her negative hair thinking. Love your hair in front of Dear Mom, and see if you can convert her! :)

--Formerly pixied
Mother of 2 teenagers

LauraLongLocks
November 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Laura, even if your hemline wasn't thick and nice (as it is), you just need a little patience to reach waist and start maintaining. Your mum seems exactly like my mum: hair past shoulder is all the same lenght to her ;)!

Yes, I never thought of it that way. She probably does think that anything past shoulder is all the same, so what's a few inches hacked off all at once?

Your Dear Mom is just trying to save you from hair-hassle. She doesn't like fooling with her hair, and is trying to make your life easier by cutting your hair shorter. In her world, people don't enjoy long hair, so it's hard for her to get her head around it.

Exactly right. She hates dealing with long hair, and even when she has had shoulder length (her longest in the 36 years I've known her), she didn't treasure and care for it the way we do here. She couldn't wait to get to the salon and have it cut and permed. She always liked me in a pixie as a child, because she didn't want to learn how to care for long hair. She never learned how to braid hair, and I remember as a small child I wanted my hair braided so bad, but she couldn't do it and would get frustrated, yanking on my hair if I even adjusted myself one time while she made the attempt. She could give a good yank on it, too! Ouch.

Anyway, I've had my hair this length before, and this is my longest, but when it was this length before, it wasn't pampered like it is now. It didn't look this nice. I had a lot of split ends because I never wore it up and always ripped through my tangles. I had it this length, then hacked it back to a very short pixie in May 2008. My kids all had head lice, and I had no one to pick my head, so bye-bye hair! Then I learned about using olive oil to smother the lice. Oh well, too late for my pixie head then. Now my hair is back where it was, and I never want it shorter than waist once I get it there. Of that I am sure.