PDA

View Full Version : How do you finish your braids?

tetisheri72
November 3rd, 2013, 01:14 PM
I don't mean how you tie it off when you're done, I mean how do you finish it when it's too long for you to braid behind your back in anymore.

I used to braid it as far down as I could with my arms over my head, behind my back, and then flip it over my left shoulder to finish. It always pulled my braid off center to do that, which annoyed me. It wasn't a problem if I was doing double braids, but I always have to redo a crooked braid. Now I go down as far as I can, and then start pulling it up, so that the braid lays on the top of my head, and braid it that way. I finish it by braiding it right in front of my face. I found doing this that my braid stays nice and centered on my head. I just wondered how other people did it.

Note, I have fibromyalgia, and problems in my left shoulder, so I don't like having my arms up over my head too long.

0xalis
November 3rd, 2013, 11:08 PM
Since my hair is so short I can do all of it behind my head. If I want a braid, I have to!

freesia
November 3rd, 2013, 11:34 PM
I do my braid at the back until the point when it can be flipped forward. I make sure that I face a mirror (haven't practiced enough to do without a mirror :o), I grab the 3 strands keeping them separated with the fingers of one hand, flip the braid over the shoulder of the same hand and continue.
In order to keep the braid centered I make sure that while finishing the braid I hold it loosely without pulling. I find that the mirror helps here, as it is not necessary to be able to look directly to the braid.

donnalouise
November 4th, 2013, 01:10 AM
I do the same, in the mirror, and don't pull tight to avoid making it move. I make sure i do as much behind my back as possible before putting it over my shoulder which also helps make it easier to see which way the plait should lay and which bit goes over what, next. If i have to plait without a mirror, i take even more care to make the plait as long as possible before flipping it over my shoulder, it just makes it easier to feel where you are at (or sometimes see, just about, out the corner of my eye, lol)

florenonite
November 4th, 2013, 02:39 AM
I flip it over my shoulder, but keep the ends aligned and braid the opposite way. For instance, if I'm doing a French braid, I pull the strands over my shoulder (separated by fingers) and start braiding them *under* each other. This helps prevent the kink you can get if you twist it.

ladyfey
November 4th, 2013, 04:41 AM
I wrap it around my neck and bring it back to the front, then wrap it around again as I get closer to the ends.

GrowingGlory
November 4th, 2013, 04:45 AM
When my hair was 36" long, I brought the braid up over my head and braided it in front of my face.

tetisheri72
November 4th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I do my braid at the back until the point when it can be flipped forward. I make sure that I face a mirror (haven't practiced enough to do without a mirror :o), I grab the 3 strands keeping them separated with the fingers of one hand, flip the braid over the shoulder of the same hand and continue.
In order to keep the braid centered I make sure that while finishing the braid I hold it loosely without pulling. I find that the mirror helps here, as it is not necessary to be able to look directly to the braid.

I haven't thought of trying it in front of a mirror. I've been braiding my hair for decades, so I just figured I had too much practice, but it might be a good idea for me to try it that way a few times.

I do have to admit that sometimes I do pull a little too tightly. I'm working on a looser pull which will still give me a good braid.

I flip it over my shoulder, but keep the ends aligned and braid the opposite way. For instance, if I'm doing a French braid, I pull the strands over my shoulder (separated by fingers) and start braiding them *under* each other. This helps prevent the kink you can get if you twist it.

Ahhh, that kink. The bane of my existence.

When my hair was 36" long, I brought the braid up over my head and braided it in front of my face.

I never thought of doing it that way until a woman I went to church with told me that's how she finished her braids. Her hair was around hip length.

I wrap it around my neck and bring it back to the front, then wrap it around again as I get closer to the ends.

Now I have to go find out how long your hair is.

Magalo
November 4th, 2013, 06:17 AM

It's what I do to! I get no kink that way.

Bagginslover
November 4th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I turn my head as far one way as it will go, pull the braid out at a right angle from my head, swap my hand from behind to in front of my head, and keep braiding. This keeps the braid centralised, but gives me more room before I have to pull it forwards to finish. It then has enough braided length that I don't pull it tightly and the braid doesn't deform.

tetisheri72
November 4th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I'll have to try that method.

lunalocks
November 4th, 2013, 07:00 AM
So many different methods! I keep braiding behind, letting the weight of the already braided braid drop down. Instead of braiding with my hair hanging down and braiding downwards, I braid upwards. Always done it this way but will have to try other ways now.

tetisheri72
November 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM
So many different methods! I keep braiding behind, letting the weight of the already braided braid drop down. Instead of braiding with my hair hanging down and braiding downwards, I braid upwards. Always done it this way but will have to try other ways now.

OK, I can't even visualize this. Describe more, please?

lunalocks
November 5th, 2013, 03:04 PM
(OK, I can't even visualize this. Describe more, please?)

OK. I braid downwards (like everyone does) until I can't reach any further (the point where most bring it over their shoulder), I flip the tail upright (towards the ceiling) so the braid curves back up, and continue braiding. Still braiding at the back of my head, but the weight of the braided loop provides some traction so I can continue to braid upwards and to the end. I could braid floor length hair this way (if I had it to braid!).

tetisheri72
November 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Ahh, OK. That makes lots of sense!

prettyinpink
November 5th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I turn my head as far as i can

ladyfey
November 5th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Now I have to go find out how long your hair is.

:) Ankle length

tetisheri72
November 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM
How many times do you end up wrapping it around your neck? My final goal is knee or terminal. At ankle, I would probably trip myself up in my hair, because I am that much of a clutz. I do think that the super long hair is pretty.

ladyfey
November 6th, 2013, 04:25 AM
I just wrap twice around the neck to braid, very easy :)