PDA

View Full Version : color oops and red hair dye? Help!

GoldFrappe
November 3rd, 2013, 12:01 PM
I heard that instead of bleaching my hair, I can use color oops on my black/dark brown box dyed hair to lighten it a bit then I can dye my hair red on the same day. The hair dye is from L'Oreal and its meant for dark hair. But last time I just used the red hair dye and my roots were bright red and my hair was still dark but had a red sheen to it.
Have any of you used color oops? Did it work for you?

BlackRedRaven
November 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
I used some other product with the same effect - deductic (do you say that?) color pigments. I workes quite well, i have natural dark ash blonde hair which was dyed black. I went to orange on the top and (dark to medium) brown in the lengths.

You could use dye after that but you have to be careful: don't use permanent dye (with H2O2) in it, that might bring the dark colour back! Just use non-permantent dye or wait at least a month with a minimum of 10 times washing your hair befor using a permanent colour.

GoldFrappe
November 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
I used some other product with the same effect - deductic (do you say that?) color pigments. I workes quite well, i have natural dark ash blonde hair which was dyed black. I went to orange on the top and (dark to medium) brown in the lengths.

You could use dye after that but you have to be careful: don't use permanent dye (with H2O2) in it, that might bring the dark colour back! Just use non-permantent dye or wait at least a month with a minimum of 10 times washing your hair befor using a permanent colour.

Thanks!!! I think the hair dye is semi permanent.

GoldFrappe
November 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
No wait :( it's permanent.

maegalcarwen
November 3rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
These removers work by shrinking the color molecules. Red hairdye has the largest molecules, so it should not be a problem. The effectiveness depends on a lot of factors, as the detailed description in the box of the remover says so too. For example how many times you dyed, since how long are you dying your hair, did you bleach it before, etc etc etc. I used it on henna, but I had bleached hair under it. It took out most of the red, but I dyed over with an ash blonde. Good luck, let us know what you decided to do: )

massivecnqstdr
November 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
I think color oops is a good idea, but I want you to know that the roots still might be brighter than the rest of your hair. Red hair dye tends to look really dull on damaged ends and it comes out nice and strong on newer, healthier hair. I've had that happen to me a number of times. The only that that helps is to use a protein filler (preferably a colored one) from Sallys Beauty Supply on the ends before coloring.

ShieldMayden
November 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM
I've used Pravana Color Extractor (you can buy it off Amazon) and did 2 goes with it instead of Color Oops as apparently it's less damaging. Mind you this was 2 years ago when I decided against my black hair dye and I got it to a medium/dark brown even though I naturally have light brown hair and I've been dying it black since 2009. Granted, I decided to go back to black 3 months after doing this lol.

But yeah, can't vouch for Color Oops but Pravana Color Extractor does the job too if you need to remove color.

bananahanna
November 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
why don't you try henna? that is if you are going for a permanent red look..

GoldFrappe
November 3rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
why don't you try henna? that is if you are going for a permanent red look..
I do want a permenant red, but my hair is box dyed black. I want it to show, not just a sheen.

Firefox7275
November 4th, 2013, 12:45 AM
I heard that instead of bleaching my hair, I can use color oops on my black/dark brown box dyed hair to lighten it a bit then I can dye my hair red on the same day. The hair dye is from L'Oreal and its meant for dark hair. But last time I just used the red hair dye and my roots were bright red and my hair was still dark but had a red sheen to it.
Have any of you used color oops? Did it work for you?

That is not recommended. If you don't rinse incredibly thoroughly the new dye can reoxidise the dark dye molecules still in your hair so the black/ brown comes back so it's best to wait. Plus that is two highly alkaline treatments in one day which can sensitise or irritate the skin. Always do hair strand tests when you run your skin patch tests so you don't have any nasty shocks.

Also consider carefully using a red permanent box dye, they are prone to fading so you need to 'refresh' the lengths regularly which causes damage over time and thus uneven results due to varying porosity. A high pigment semi permanent can actually last much better and could be done the same day as Color Oops.

Indigostreams
November 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM
So funny you wrote this because I just used Color Oops last night. I can't believe it worked! SO FAR my hair doesn't seem very damaged, but damage can take time to show up. Long story short: So about a month ago I dyed it with a L'oreal Healthy look reddish brown (semi-perm). IT came out too red for me, so the next day I used L'oreal Healthy Look Light Brown. I had fun with the resulting color for about a month, but by the end the red was faded to an ugly orange, and the brown looked mucky. I also was sick of the red thing. I randomly decided to dye it with Olia light Golden brown. (Ignorantly hoping that it would come out similar to the pic on the box). I did coat my hair with coconut oil first to help protect it. The color results were not nice at all. It came out an ugly way-too-dark-for-my-complexion yucky brown with slight gold tones. I then decided to give Color Oops a try. And it worked! IT actually stripped out all of the red and brown chemical coloring. MY hair was left a very golden dark blonde color, kind of orangey at the roots.Something I felt I could work with, not too bad .So I did a protein/conditioning treatment (Joico K-pak Reconstructor) after the Color Oops (which the package recommends). Then I coated it with coconut oil. This morning I dyed it with Revlon dark blonde. I'd say it looks pretty good! My bf says so too. So That's my story, and my only recommendation is that if you do choose to try the Color Oops, make sure you follow the directions. Make sure you rinse for 20 min, and wash as many times as it says. Good luck!

Indigostreams
November 4th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I think color oops is a good idea, but I want you to know that the roots still might be brighter than the rest of your hair. Red hair dye tends to look really dull on damaged ends and it comes out nice and strong on newer, healthier hair. I've had that happen to me a number of times. The only that that helps is to use a protein filler (preferably a colored one) from Sallys Beauty Supply on the ends before coloring. This is totally true and what happened to me! I think that's why after the Color Oops my roots were more orangey than my ends.