PDA

View Full Version : Your Number One Hair Care Tip

AmyBeth
November 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
I would like to know your number one piece of advice for taking care of your hair. Your Holy Grail bit of knowledge. No top threes, no ties. The number one. Only one. I've searched the boards for a thread like this and have found threads asking for your top 5 tips and such but no thread for one and only the top one tip. If one exists, I apologize. My very favorite method would be massage. To just feel the little tingle of blood circulation in my scalp means I'm getting more oxygen and nutrients to the very source of my hair, so I think that's my number one bit of advice I would pass to someone who wants to start a journey towards longer healthier hair.:flower:

Becky9679
November 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
Benign neglect. Maybe that's kind of a cheat because it can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, but to me it means no excessive styling, no overthinking your haircare routine, just put it up in the most simple and comfortable updo you know every day, forget about it and leave it to grow.

DJgang
November 3rd, 2013, 11:13 AM
When washing (however washing) only scrub or wash the scalp, don't worry about shampoo on the rest of your hair. Rinse well, always air dry and keep it simple.

verenikiscoma
November 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Trust your judgement. If something just doesn't work don't force it just because it has worked on everyone else. You know your hair better than anyone.

Eichan
November 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Oil.

Be it your own (SO or WO) or any other (Sesame, EVOO, Black Truffle), I find that hair always does better if it.s subjected to ar LEAST a light oiling. (I'm famous at home for dumping a mix of sunflower, sesame, and flax onto my hair for hours).

Even if you use a sulfate shampoo, it helps SOOOOO much.

pocketsmall
November 3rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
Benign neglect. Maybe that's kind of a cheat because it can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, but to me it means no excessive styling, no overthinking your haircare routine, just put it up in the most simple and comfortable updo you know every day, forget about it and leave it to grow.

I second this!

dwell_in_safety
November 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
No heat. Zip, zero, zilch.

CaityBear
November 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
For my hair personally it'd be using oil or hair cream after my showers. I do CO but I can still tell a difference if I forget to put something on my ends. It makes a huge difference with split ends.

For people in general is probably say the benign neglect as well.

DweamGoiL
November 3rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
For me it's Monoi and Jojoba oils and my sleep bonnet ;)

Ramille
November 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Not doing anything to my hair unless it needs it. No washing unless it feels dirty. No shampoo if water alone will do it. No oiling until it looks frizzy. No heat (ever). By braiding at night I only need to comb it out quickly in the morning and then up with a bun and a clip.

HintOfMint
November 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Very gentle detangling or better yet, prevention, prevention, prevention. I'm probably cheating by having two tips here, but how I deal with tangles is big on preventing mechanical damage (which is, in my opinion, the fastest way to destroy hair). Heat might take a while, but one rough brushing causes instant damage.

ositarosita
November 3rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Put peppermint essential oil in your shampoo (if your a shampooer) or conditioner ( if CO washer) ... the tingling increases blood circulation and it just makes your head feel fresh...

AmyBeth
November 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Okay, so it seems that so far, benign neglect, or what you DON'T do, rather than what you do, is key. That is so tough for me, I want to DO something to make my hair better.:p

Madora
November 3rd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Detangling with a wide tooth comb. Doing it SLOWLY, working from the bottom of the strands until you reach the roots. Doing it in SMALL segments, not large ones. Never detangle in a hurry or when you are in a rush or angry.

HintOfMint
November 3rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Okay, so it seems that so far, benign neglect, or what you DON'T do, rather than what you do, is key. That is so tough for me, I want to DO something to make my hair better.:p

I completely get this point of view. It's comforting to think, "If I do X, Y, and Z, I'll have healthy hair," because it makes us feel more in control of the process, and well, less bored. And to be fair, you only asked for the one, make-or-break tip when many of us also do a series of things that work in tandem, such as oilings or deep treatments. For me, deep treatments keep my hair feeling soft and looking nice, but preventing tangles keep my hair from looking trashed. See what I mean?

niky45
November 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Try to avoid things that you KNOW that will damage it. Like bleach or (too much) heat.

... kinda benign neglect, lol.

... my little poor hair.... :cry:

Yep, I'm still a noob here, so I'm still learning to take care of it. At least I KNOW for sure what to avoid.

lapushka
November 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM

Agreeing with this also. BN is the best thing to do for your hair. Just wash, in whatever way you wash, style, and leave alone. Just your regular updo every day, nothing more.

massivecnqstdr
November 3rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
I know it's mentioned over and over again here - but coconut oil is the best thing that's happened to my hair. I use it as a pre-poo and/or leave-in. I love it. :o

Tota
November 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
CO-washing.

bunzfan
November 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Agreeing with this also. BN is the best thing to do for your hair. Just wash, in whatever way you wash, style, and leave alone. Just your regular updo every day, nothing more.

I really need to stick to doing this did it for four months.

Long_hair_bear
November 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM
coconut oil..... its saved me from many a trim! :)

ShieldMayden
November 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM

Couldn't have said it better! :) BN it is!

MaryMarx
November 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Definitely no heat. Heat wrecked my hair completely, or well, I wrecked my hair, with the use of heat...
To me, it's not worth it. Sure, I used it the wrong incautious way, but still.
It's quite possible I'll dye my hair sometime in the future, but never ever heat again. :)

jacqueline101
November 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
For me Monistat. I love the growth it provides.

NuclearApple
November 3rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
conditioner,every day everywhere.

Saldana
November 3rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
My number one hair tip is: Don't use heat on it. No blow dryer, no curling iron, no hot rollers, no hot combs, and no hot straighteners (I know there is a name for those, I just can't think of it. Flat irons?)

Crumpet
November 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
I think BN is huge, but I'll give a positive 'do something' tip: sleep cap. I thought it was silly, especially since I use satin and silk pillowcases, but it really does make a huge difference 8 hours of extra protection when hair can get a lot of damage made a huge difference to me in appearance, protection and frustration (no tangles in the morning!).

ravenreed
November 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM
Listen to your hair. What it needs will change based on length, past abuses, weather, as you get older, etc...

Diamond.Eyes
November 3rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
Definitely no hot tools, and absolutely use a wide-tooth comb as opposed to a brush. :flower:

askan
November 3rd, 2013, 06:39 PM
The only one I feel confident saying is: Don't bleach your hair four times on the same day.

jrmviola
November 3rd, 2013, 06:58 PM
I have to go with Benign Neglect, Even if it is a do nothing. Its also known as "have Patience" :D Worked for me for 7 years... but im still working on the Patience... :P

LauraLongLocks
November 3rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Tangles are easier to prevent than to comb out. Do whatever you can to prevent tangles, and the damage that combing them out can cause. (So that means, wearing hair up, satin sleep cap/pillowcase, finding the washing/conditioning routine that works for your hair and scalp, avoiding same-style stress, etc.)

battles
November 3rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
Sleeping cap. It looks ridiculous, but when I think of how many hours I'm sleeping per year.. It is so worth it. I flop around while I'm sleeping. My hair gets trapped under me, dragged across my pillowcase, stuck in my mouth and stuck in my armpits.. Sleeping cap prevents all of that mechanical damage.

Of course, my hair looks fabulous when I wake up. Bonus. :D

Rhoward
November 3rd, 2013, 07:51 PM
This treatment, just discovered it a few weeks ago - it works better than anything I've ever tried, its the biggest "I'm sorry" you can give your hair
http://www.gkmbj.com.au/gkmbj-collagen-mask-equaliser-p-20.html

Bun15
November 3rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Always keep your hair tied up, either in a ponytail or braid.

Buddaphlyy
November 3rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
Keep it simple/benign neglect. Hair care really isn't rocket science. It doesn't take a million steps or load of money to keep hair healthy and grow it long.

Chromis
November 3rd, 2013, 09:36 PM
Tangles are easier to prevent than to comb out. Do whatever you can to prevent tangles, and the damage that combing them out can cause. (So that means, wearing hair up, satin sleep cap/pillowcase, finding the washing/conditioning routine that works for your hair and scalp, avoiding same-style stress, etc.)

This! Times ten million!!!

0xalis
November 3rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
Patience. The best way to have patience is benign neglect ;)

animetor7
November 3rd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Be gentle! This might be kind of cheating, but most of what I do that is beneficial to my hair is just being gentle, meaning no harsh cleansing, combing carefully, no heat styling, no excessive styling or damaging techniques (metal hairbands, teasing), keeping it tied up to prevent tangles which cause stress, protecting my ends etc.

Spindle
November 3rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
I agree with being gentle.... especially when wet/damp!

ExpectoPatronum
November 3rd, 2013, 11:54 PM
This is one I'm still working on, but it's "Don't fight your natural texture." I have a problem with treating my wavy hair as if it's straight, which only causes more problems.

LauraLongLocks
November 4th, 2013, 07:07 AM
This is one I'm still working on, but it's "Don't fight your natural texture." I have a problem with treating my wavy hair as if it's straight, which only causes more problems.

Good tip! My 13 year old daughter is blessed with beautiful waves and soft curls next to her face, but she has always tried to treat her hair like it is straight. I finally was able to point out to her how perfectly beautiful her hair is, WITH the waves and curls, and she is liking her hair for the first time ever, and it looks better cared for than it ever did before.

Stray_mind
November 4th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I guess i agree with "benign neglect" idea. Don't do too much. Oil it once in awhile, wash when dirty and keep it up or down if your hair likes it more. Of course don't forget to keep your whole body healthy.

summergreen
November 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Stretching washes (although maybe this counts as part of benign neglect? :) )

Seeshami
November 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Don't start talking to your hair.

The Naughty Mess says, "Every one loves to talk to me. What's your problem Seesha?"

Robot Ninja
November 4th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Another vote for benign neglect. It appeals to my sense of laziness and cheapness.

long&blonde
November 4th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Wash once every 7-10 days. Benign neglect.

farmlass
November 5th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Agree with the benign neglect and keeping hair up, also when you wash do a final rinse with cool/cold water. Makes it less likely to tangle :)

florenonite
November 5th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Trust your judgement. If something just doesn't work don't force it just because it has worked on everyone else. You know your hair better than anyone.

Listen to your hair. What it needs will change based on length, past abuses, weather, as you get older, etc...

Reading through this thread really emphasises, for me, how important these two points are. Several of the suggestions in this thread (CO, stretching washes), while obviously working beautifully for the people who suggest them, are an absolute trainwreck for my hair - and I'm sure the same could be said of my routine on their hair.