PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

chella
September 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me figure out why my hair is looking so limp and oily at the ends!

For the past month I've been doing the CWC method using silicone-free products. (previously I was using Kerastase line). Since my hair is damaged (from chemical lightening, then going back to dark) I've also been periodically doing protein treatments (Joico Kpak) and deep conditioning masques.

Lately I'm noticing that even when I've just washed my hair it seems to take longer to dry, and when it does, the ends (not the roots) look oily and clump together a bit.

I have never had this problem - can anyone tell me why? Am I giving my hair too much protein or moisture? I thought that's what it needed to repair the damage....

Dvips
September 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM
It sounds like your hair is getting to much moisture to me, so I would try to cut back on the deep conditioning first.

FWIW, I was under the impression that damage cannot be repaired, only hidden, as hair is dead. :shrug:

Unnamed
September 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I agree, too much moisture. I'd look at what your CWC conditioners are (is one or both heavy? If so, try something lighter), as it sounds like the clumping and limpness is all the time and not just with the deep treatments.

My ends do the same thing if they get too much conditioner, or too heavy a conditioner. The other thing would be if the conditioner for some reason is not rinsing clean, but for me that's usually because it's too heavy.

And I also agree on the not being able to repair damage. You can help limit damage from getting worse or hide it, but not actually repair it.

thankyousir74
September 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hair can get too much moisture? :hair is ALWAYS DRY:

chella
September 5th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Right now I am using a light (for everyday use) shampoo and conditioner from Bumble & Bumble. I have been alternating that with some organic ones (Louise Galvin - only avail in the UK and Desert Organics).

So I don't think the products are that heavy, it is maybe my usage of them... I didn't realize the conditioner wasn't rinsing out well and I guess I have been using too much. Maybe I'll stop the CWC and just go WC (with less C) and see what happens.

Also I will try stopping the deep moisture treatments for a while and just do protein. How often is recommended for these sorts of treatments anyway?

I have the Fekkai overnight hair repair and also the Fekkai protein treatment.... both seem light but I don't want to overuse them. Not sure if they have silicones?

I also read something about silicones protecting your hair from absorbing moisture - is that true? Could that be why my hair seems to stay wet for AGES now? When I used silicones it would dry so fast.

embee
September 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM
You might try diluting everything with water. It's hard to use less product, especially if you have any length. Take a good sized plastic cup into the bath with you and put a bit of your product in and add water. You'll have "lots" to work with, but it won't likely be heavy. It may also rinse out much better.

Good luck.