PDA

View Full Version : Do you snip your tapered ends?

Shibe
November 3rd, 2013, 12:58 AM
I have very fine hair, and about a quarter inch of most of my ends are tapered and almost invisible. Do they ever get thicker? What do you do with yours?

Tota
November 3rd, 2013, 01:12 AM
I don't think they ever get thicker once they're tapered unless you do something about it ;) You can thicken your ends with microtrimming - trimming a quarter of an inch off once a month. That way your ends will get thicker but you won't loose much length during the process. That's how I slowly got rid of my layers and taper.

hairaddiction
November 3rd, 2013, 01:22 AM
I kind of want fairy tale ends so I'm good without trims. But yeah, micro trims all the way to get them thicker!I just want to look like a fairy princess when I reach my goal, but that's probably years away.

MaryMarx
November 3rd, 2013, 01:39 AM
I trim the ones that look like they might get damaged in the future, like if the tapering is uneven or likely to be bent.

Flor
November 3rd, 2013, 01:43 AM
If it's tapered because it's virgin uncut ends, I leave them alone - those have potential to reach the longest length. If it looks like it's from splitting, then yes, off with those.

MeowScat
November 3rd, 2013, 03:09 AM
I always used to when I would S&D, but I think I finally broke the habit. It's unbroken hair, so now I figure, why mess with it?

GrowingGlory
November 3rd, 2013, 03:11 AM
I recently had 1/4" of pointy ends removed. Last time, I grew my hair from APL to term with only one trim. This time, I am visiting the salon for a seasonal haircut. I hope to avoid those 3" long pointy ends.

CurlMonster
November 3rd, 2013, 03:26 AM
I have decided that for the next few months (until I am satisfied) that I will do a microtrim of my ends every two weeks to reduce my taper. Mine is mostly from layers, but also some from damage, so I am sure that it will be successful. If yours isn't damage or layers though, it may just be how your hair is and trimming may do little to help.

Sunny_side_up
November 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Been thinking about a nice trim more and more. Been a good few months since I last had it trimmed. Out and about today, couldn't help notice blunt hairstyles. I like even ends :)

KellieMai
November 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
If a thicker hemline is your thing I'd trim them. You probably just have area's on your head where the hairs naturally grow a bit faster than the rest, small trims should help to let the rest of the hairs to catch up xx

tetisheri72
November 3rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
OK, I know what a hemline is, and I know what a blunt hemline is, because that's what I want, but can someone please explain fairy tale ends for me? I searched and searched, and didn't find a clear description. Or at least one that was clear to me.

lapushka
November 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
I have very fine hair, and about a quarter inch of most of my ends are tapered and almost invisible. Do they ever get thicker? What do you do with yours?

Thickness, if you have it, will travel down, whether you cut the tapered ends or not (they will continue to grow down).

I don't get tapered ends, no matter how long my hair gets (it's been to almost TBL). Maybe it's because I'm a iii and have never suffered from hairloss, IDK.

bananahanna
November 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
OK, I know what a hemline is, and I know what a blunt hemline is, because that's what I want, but can someone please explain fairy tale ends for me? I searched and searched, and didn't find a clear description. Or at least one that was clear to me.

i believe the best way to describe it, from how i understand it, is that they are ends of hair which are slightly uneven from hair naturally falling out and regrowing. So instead of it being a straight line, its a V shape or U shape or like this: ~~. I think it's just letting your ends grow how they want to.

tetisheri72
November 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM
i believe the best way to describe it, from how i understand it, is that they are ends of hair which are slightly uneven from hair naturally falling out and regrowing. So instead of it being a straight line, its a V shape or U shape or like this: ~~. I think it's just letting your ends grow how they want to.

OK, that makes sense to me. Thanks!

DweamGoiL
November 3rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
To me, it's a personal preference; some let the tapered ends grow on and are fine with a section of thinner ends and others like a thicker hemline. The last time I grew my hair out to TBL, I didn't trim it until got to about waist. I then started to notice my ends were pretty lopsided. It was as if one side of my head decided to grow faster than the other. I did not like the look on me so I had an initial trim of about 2 inches and then began micro-trimming every other month for about 6 months and that corrected the lopsided growth. In general, I am more partial to thicker ends.