PDA

View Full Version : Side-swept bangs

Crumpet
November 2nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I'm thinking of cutting in some side-swept long bangs. I have a lot of wispies around my face that go down to about chin length. They've always been there -- they just have a short terminal length. Would it be nuts to gather these together and turn them into very thin side-swept bangs? I feel like it might make my updos look less harsh. The downside is that I don't want to take more of my real hair to make them so they'll be fairly thin.

Thoughts? Advice?

mamaherrera
November 3rd, 2013, 12:20 AM
I like them to cover my white hairs on my sides, but with curly hair, they are a pain and with a cowlick, that much more. But you're right, even before I had a side bang, I always had those whispies come down around my face anyways, without realizing it. And because my front hairline also has short terminal length, I didn't have to cut them, I would just do a center part with them only (the rest would go back or whatever) and drape them around my "big" forehead and come down the sides. Looking back at pics, it looked nice. Now with this "cut" side bang, I don't have to cut the other side, because those wispies again just come down and look like they're part of the bang. But I had a "thin bang" like you said, but I draped it to both sides. I don't know if my wispies on their own would make it to the other side to make a side bang, I had to get hair from farther back on my head to bring down for that. Good luck

biogirl87
November 3rd, 2013, 02:19 AM
Crumpet, if you are like me, you will regret getting the bangs. When I had my hair trimmed in January of this year, I had side-swept bangs cut into my hair/shaped from my old grown out bangs and while the bangs have grown out, they are barely at the middle of my neck when stretched and slightly below chin length when unstretched. With the length you are at right now and the length you would like to grow out your hair to, I do not think bangs are a good idea for you. I think after the layers and the bangs in my hair grow out, I do not want to have them cut into my hair again.

florenonite
November 3rd, 2013, 03:12 AM
Given that their terminal length is chin length, it'll take you, what, six to eight months to grow them back out if you don't like them? In hair terms, that's nothing at all. If you want to do it, I'd say go for it.

Chamomile betty
November 3rd, 2013, 05:00 AM
I am one of those who need bangs to make my updos look softer. Also, I like bangs.
If you decide on them get just a few peices put in. I have wavy/curly hair and I do need to 'work' with them a bit. But I've had bangs forever. My solution is a velcro roller. Works fine for me and what I like.

millyaulait
November 3rd, 2013, 05:21 AM
I love my side bangs and they are not thick, they still add softness & I've never found them to be a pain when growing them out.

MeowScat
November 3rd, 2013, 05:29 AM
I'm biased towards bangs, but that's just me. :)

I've had bangs on and off over the years, I have them now and love them. I can change my look in nothing flat by switching the side they're parted on, pinning them back, fluffing them up, etc. I have a high forehead and wide face that looks much better with bangs. Right now, I'm growing out the outer most bangs and keeping the middle ones shorter. Kind of like an upside down "U". I can still side-part them, or keep them straight across with no part. It totally changes the look, even if I keep my length in the same top knot.

They might look greasy / oily much faster than the rest of your hair, though. It's no big deal, just wash them under a faucet with a dab of shampoo. They dry pretty quick, which is awesome.

Keep thinking about it. You're unsure so wait a few more weeks, at least. Once it's cut, that's it for a while. I was afraid it would make my length look thinner but it didn't and my hair is Fine and stick straight.

Have you considered buying clip-on bangs for a test run?

Crumpet
November 3rd, 2013, 06:35 AM
So, I trimmed my chin length straggliies to make them look less straggled and combed them forward and trimmed a bit extra on one side. The trim was 0.5 inches so these puppies should grow back quickly if I don't like them. If I do like them, I'll do something more legit. They still blend in to my 'real' hair normally so I don't think I'll regret it. It was really only one month of growth and a comb sacrifice.

Most. Lazy. Bangs. Ever.

Peculiarly, they seem to make my hair look thicker even though the faux-bangs are really thin themselves...the oddities of being a finey!

Crumpet
November 3rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
Maybe my bangs were so lazy and such a non-dramatic cut that no-one else notices?

I saw lots of friends today. 0 comments. And here I thought it was a *dramatic* difference. Sighs...

At least I like them!

ShieldMayden
November 3rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
I had side-swept bangs back in 2012 and I hated them. Just saying.

LauraLongLocks
November 3rd, 2013, 07:33 PM
Side-swept bangs would drive me CRAZY, but I really like my blunt thick bangs. Every time I need to trim them, it reminds me to S&D and evaluate the need for a trim on the length. They also give me something to frame my face. I had no bangs for a long time, and looked fine, but I like the bangs better.

Crumpet
November 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Side-swept bangs would drive me CRAZY, but I really like my blunt thick bangs. Every time I need to trim them, it reminds me to S&D and evaluate the need for a trim on the length. They also give me something to frame my face. I had no bangs for a long time, and looked fine, but I like the bangs better.

Those kinds of bangs are super-cute! I don't have enough hair to pull them off, sadly. I'm holding on to my 'fake' bangs for a bit to see how I like them. Its good that I only had to lose about 0.5 inches of side-fluff to experiment. So far I like them, but we'll see!

prettyinpink
November 3rd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Why dont you try those new clip in bangs? If you end up not liking them, it will take years to grow out

hypersensitive
November 3rd, 2013, 11:16 PM
Just remember that the bangs will dirty faster than the rest of your hair! (Use cornstarch/dry shampoo for those days!)

Crumpet
November 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Just remember that the bangs will dirty faster than the rest of your hair! (Use cornstarch/dry shampoo for those days!)

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll see how much I use them. They blend into my hair just fine and, today at least, I'm wearing them as normal since I'm in a rush and can't fish them out. I'm hoping to wear them tomorrow though!

shutterpillar
November 4th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I just got some side swept bangs cut into my hair and I love them. :) They do get oily faster, which has always been my experience with bangs. But to fix that, I will just gather them up and wash them in the sink with a teeny bit of sulfate-free shampoo. I find they allow me to stretch washes for my actual length a couple days further. I'm glad you are loving yours so far!