PDA

View Full Version : How do you tie a silk scarf for sleeping?

maborosi
November 2nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
Hi everyone! I used to sleep with a satin cap, but now I've acquired a wonderful and adorable silk scarf for sleeping!

The only trouble is, I don't know how to tie it so it doesn't slip off! It's a square stole, if that helps any!

Thanks

~maborosi~

Seeshami
November 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Every time I have tried it ends up around my neck. But The Naughty Mess has always been in love with the dastardly act of strangling me to death in my sleep.

Misschilly
November 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
I make a triangle and make a knot at the neck..my hair gets flat from it, so I like a sleep bonnet better thou!=)

stachelbeere
November 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
I do, I do! :) I've mastered sleeping in a silk scarf and I've been doing it for weeks now and it stays on my head.

although you didn't really say how big your scarf is, I think this is quiet essential here - mine is more like a silk shawl.

I make a 'turban'. I first put the wider part of the scarf on the back of my neck; it works way better if your hair is tied up in a braid/pin curls/bun/anything basically. I'm bowing my head to get all the hair while doing that. Then I grab the sides of the scarf from the front and start twisting; I twist until it's secure. then I tie the ends on the top of my head and it's done.

I hope the directions are clear :)

maborosi
November 2nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks! I looked at my scarf measures approx. 88cm x 88cm.

Your directions are clear! I'll have to give it a shot tonight when I go to bed. :)

Does anyone here ever have problems getting their hair to stay in an updo after using a silk scarf? My hair is so soft and slippery the next day that it refuses to stay put in a bun for more than an hour or so. :<
On the plus side, it is smooth and amazing.

~maborosi~

stachelbeere
November 2nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
hehe, I have my 'turban' ready for the night! I think the size will be enough, if you still have a problem tying it because of excess material you can fold it into a rectangle. I found that folding it into a triangle wasn't really working for me :/

well... I've been sleeping on a silk pillow for over a year and my hair is slippery all the time but it stays pretty well when I put it up. But I do have a friend whose hair is 1a and it is so slippery that doing anything with it is a challenge, even a simple braid! If you just have this type of hair (healthy-looking, shiny and incredibly sleek, silky and slippery) I don't think silk can be blamed :P

Then again about a month ago I was sleeping on a cotton pillowcase for a few days and I noticed that my hair was a lot more 'unruly', tangle-prone and after those few days I noticed that I had some tiny breakage on the the very tips of my hair, about 3 mm or so. But I wasn't very careful with my hair then; my focus was on something else.

alewyn
March 7th, 2022, 01:29 PM
Reviving this thread because I'm curious how others tie a sleep scarf (if anyone else still on here wears one)! I sleep so "aggressively" that bonnets don't stay on my head, and the only success I've had with covering my hair at night is by tying a square or rectangular piece of silk on both the back and front of my head. Not sure if this makes sense, but basically, before I put it on my head, I tie two of the corners that are next to one another together so tightly that there is no gap or hole. Then, I place that end on the nape of my neck with my hair in the little pouch that knot forms (usually in a loose braid or bun, unsecured). I lean my head forward so the scarf stays in place, and I tie the two remaining corners to one another at my forehead. I tie it right over my browbone so there's no pulling on baby hairs at my hairline. It looks a little crazy, but being tied that low also really helps it stay in place.

I'm sharing this because no other scarf tying method has withstood my crazy sleeping, haha, so I hope if anyone is thinking about trying a scarf, this could be helpful!

shelomit
March 8th, 2022, 07:12 AM
Reviving this thread because I'm curious how others tie a sleep scarf (if anyone else still on here wears one)! I sleep so "aggressively" that bonnets don't stay on my head, and the only success I've had with covering my hair at night is by tying a square or rectangular piece of silk on both the back and front of my head. Not sure if this makes sense, but basically, before I put it on my head, I tie two of the corners that are next to one another together so tightly that there is no gap or hole. Then, I place that end on the nape of my neck with my hair in the little pouch that knot forms (usually in a loose braid or bun, unsecured). I lean my head forward so the scarf stays in place, and I tie the two remaining corners to one another at my forehead. I tie it right over my browbone so there's no pulling on baby hairs at my hairline. It looks a little crazy, but being tied that low also really helps it stay in place.

I'm sharing this because no other scarf tying method has withstood my crazy sleeping, haha, so I hope if anyone is thinking about trying a scarf, this could be helpful!

I've never tried this method, either for sleeping or just for wearing a scarf day to day. Will have to experiment!

With a square silk scarf overnight, I fold it into a triangle, put the long side against my hairline, and tie two of the corners over the corner that's in the back. I don't move around when I sleep, though.

clandestine
March 8th, 2022, 07:32 AM
I've had some success with this but it is mixed. I have to have my hair tied up in some fashion for it to work. I use a square scarf folded to make a triangle. I put the long side of the scarf against my nape, tilt my head to gather my hair, grab the middle tail of the long side of the scarf, fold it towards my fore head. I then then knot the two side tails over the middle holding it in place, after that I fold the middle tail back towards my nape again and then knot the side tails again and then tuck all the excess. I will find an image to illustrate.

https://www.avintagesplendor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/how-to-tie-a-turban.jpg

alewyn
March 8th, 2022, 08:01 AM
shelomit, I'd be intrigued to hear what you think. If ever I wear a scarf out using my weird method, I usually tuck the knots (or at least the one on the front) under to make it look smoother, and it works decently well. Has a bit of a snood shape to it, which I think is what makes it so comfortable/secure--knotting on two sides means it's only tight right around the hem of the scarf, with the rest nice and billowy.

Clandestine, that's my favorite way to wear a headscarf during the day for sure! I cannot get it to stay on my head at night, unfortunately. Wish I could, it looks so cute.

Shug
March 8th, 2022, 08:06 AM
I've had some success with this but it is mixed. I have to have my hair tied up in some fashion for it to work. I use a square scarf folded to make a triangle. I put the long side of the scarf against my nape, tilt my head to gather my hair, grab the middle tail of the long side of the scarf, fold it towards my fore head. I then then knot the two side tails over the middle holding it in place, after that I fold the middle tail back towards my nape again and then knot the side tails again and then tuck all the excess. I will find an image to illustrate.

https://www.avintagesplendor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/how-to-tie-a-turban.jpg

I do a backwards version of that pic with the pointy part of the triangle going to the back of my head

knobbly
March 8th, 2022, 08:53 AM
I have to use a velvet wig grip to get any satin weave anything to stay on my head.