PDA

View Full Version : My hair caught fire, when I lit the stove

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
It's not as bad as it sounds, at least my whole head didn't go up. The ends got singed because as I bent over to look under the pan when I lit the burner the front of my hair fell over and got singed in the flame as it shot out from under the pan. I must have had the dial too high. Scared me pretty bad and it smelled horrid. I had to do a little creative trimming of the singed ends but it was just one section.

I'm not more careful to stand away from the flame. We haven't had a gas stove in about 5 years so I forgot to be careful of my hair.

martyna_22
November 2nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
I heard of a case like that a few days back... You're lucky indeed, the girl I heard of had APL+ black, pretty hair and had to cut it into a pixie..

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Maybe I should be grateful the pan was on the burner? At least it blocked most of the flame. A pixie cut, eeekkkk.

martyna_22
November 2nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah, at least you will be more careful from now on, so it is less likely to happen with worse effects in the future :)

wildkratt
November 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Whoa, that's way crazy! I think you could try tying up your hair when in the kitchen, especially near the stove. This once almost happened to me and one strand of hair fell in the flame and it STANKshudder:! Now my hair's always in a bun or ponytail when doing things like cooking amd washing dishes.

Kaelee
November 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Wow, really glad you're OK!!!!

DweamGoiL
November 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Glad it wasn't any worse :)

Anje
November 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Eep, glad you're not burned!

This is among the reasons I put my hair up while cooking.

Crumpet
November 2nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Long hair really can be dangerous if you don't put it up. We should all wear our hair up while cooking. Glad you're okay!

gnome82
November 2nd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Omg, that sounds dangerous. I hope you'll be more carefull now.

verenikiscoma
November 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
You must have been so scared! I am so glad you are not hurt. It must have been terrifying!

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
I've learned my lesson I make sure my hair is no where near the stove now. I do usually wear my hair up, but I've learned my lesson about my hair near the stove.

duchess67
November 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Eep, glad you're not burned!

This is among the reasons I put my hair up while cooking.

Me too, I always tie up my hair while cooking.... even if it is wet. Anyway, glad that nothing serious happened.

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
You must have been so scared! I am so glad you are not hurt. It must have been terrifying!

I was freaking out when I saw it catch but it went out right away. It was so fast I can't even remember if I blew it out or it just singed and went out on it's own. And ugh those crinkly ends are horrible. I tried to make sure I only trimmed the ones that burned.

Tini'sNewHair
November 2nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
that happened to me when the flame suddenly went HUGE but thankfully I was still standing at a safe distance from it, sooooooo LUCKY tho because just the momment before the flame went off i was thinking of looking closer to... AHHHHHHHHHH i couldnt imagine burning my hair after all it took to grow it and care for it :O glad your ok. I hope more people reads this so the word spreads and we can all keep safe

Kat
November 2nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Maybe I should be grateful the pan was on the burner? At least it blocked most of the flame. A pixie cut, eeekkkk.

I daresay a pixie cut would be the least of your worries... most people I hear of whose hair catches on fire end up with awful burns on their face and head (although they're probably people with shorter hair to begin with, so instead of having a long "wick" that might give them enough time to put it out before it gets to dangerous areas, if their hair is catching on fire it's already close to their head/face)..

Rio040113
November 2nd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Oh my :run: Glad you're okay!

Wildcat Diva
November 2nd, 2013, 06:50 PM
I'm so glad you're ok!

Last week I had the opposite problem. I had just washed my hair and it was dripping wet. I was getting something out of the freezer and one of my strands swung into the inside of the freezer door and stuck. My nine year old son was around, and I was lucky enough to have my wits about me. "Bring me a cup of water, QUICK!"

He brings me an empty coffee mug. I was like "what the---? CUP FULL OF WATER! BRING IT!" He brings it (finally) and I pour it over the hair and I was good to go. I don't think there was much damage that I noted. Now I'm more careful when I go to the freezer after a hair wash.

Kaelee
November 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
I'm so glad you're ok!

Last week I had the opposite problem. I had just washed my hair and it was dripping wet. I was getting something out of the freezer and one of my strands swung into the inside of the freezer door and stuck. My nine year old son was around, and I was lucky enough to have my wits about me. "Bring me a cup of water, QUICK!"

He brings me an empty coffee mug. I was like "what the---? CUP FULL OF WATER! BRING IT!" He brings it (finally) and I pour it over the hair and I was good to go. I don't think there was much damage that I noted. Now I'm more careful when I go to the freezer after a hair wash.

I'm sorry Diva, that made me laugh so much! :lol:

If it were me, I probably would have just yanked myself free and then thought about it later. :doh: (of course I live alone so not much choice there.)

embee
November 2nd, 2013, 07:16 PM
OP, I'm glad you posted. We need to be reminded about this danger - winter is coming and fireplaces are in use, and wood stoves. In summer a danger is the barbeque grill also.

A friend of mine lost her eyelashes, eyebrows and front hair in a stove accident. She was lucky it wasn't her *eyes*. :(

Glad you are ok.

Demi-Plum
November 2nd, 2013, 07:22 PM
I heard of a case like that a few days back... You're lucky indeed, the girl I heard of had APL+ black, pretty hair and had to cut it into a pixie..

When I read this I physically gasped and had to take a second because it scared me so badly =.=

Jennah
November 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Wow, glad it wasn´t too bad.

I once got the hair caught up in the mixer when I was little. Scary stuff.

Wildcat Diva
November 2nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry Diva, that made me laugh so much! :lol:

If it were me, I probably would have just yanked myself free and then thought about it later. :doh: (of course I live alone so not much choice there.)

It's ok, my hair stuck to the freezer door story is not as serious as a burn risk. I laughed too! I am glad I thought of that trick with the water and had someone to help me. You know where I learned about that idea? " A Christmas Story" movie, with the triple dog dare thing with the tongue stuck to the flagpole. It's what they should have done for poor "Flick." Cup of warm water.

Kaelee
November 2nd, 2013, 09:19 PM
It's ok, my hair stuck to the freezer door story is not as serious as a burn risk. I laughed too! I am glad I thought of that trick with the water and had someone to help me. You know where I learned about that idea? " A Christmas Story" movie, with the triple dog dare thing with the tongue stuck to the flagpole. It's what they should have done for poor "Flick." Cup of warm water.

I remember seeing that on an old show called Rescue 911 that I used to watch when I was younger. Someone got their tongue stuck in a freezer. Because apparently, licking the inside of a freezer is a reasonable and logical thing to do. :doh:

Wildcat Diva
November 2nd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Sure! I do that all the time.:crazyq:

Kaelee
November 2nd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Of course! That's how I tell if the food is still fresh!

Eichan
November 3rd, 2013, 01:13 AM
One time some of my hair got caught in a fan. It basically dreaded that portion of my hair. I couldn't undo it or get it out of the fan, so.... snip snip :) that was like... two months ago though XD

Sorry about your hair though!

Oh, want to hear of a "Common sense is so rare it's a super power" moment?

My aunt was cooking in a robe. The robe caught fire.
She sat there, letting it go up in flames, saying "It's hot, it's hot!", not even taking it off! Thank GOD my mom was there, I was so involved in my craft (read: Essay homework: that I didn't notice a flaming woman not 3 feet away from me!

Blackout
November 3rd, 2013, 03:03 AM
Oh, I am sorry for your hair...
Such dedication to one's homework is a rare thing, Eichan XD
Mine took fire too once, as I was using one of those wax cone for cleaning ears. I was resting my left cheek on the table with the cone in my right ear. My hair was in a ponytail so I was 100% sure it was out of the way, still at a certain point I saw a small strand falling (not to mention the awful smell) on the table. The damage was small, but on the right side of my head it's still noticeable a shorter patch.

MeowScat
November 3rd, 2013, 04:01 AM
You are very lucky and I'm happy you're okay! It's scary how fast hair goes up in flames.

My Mom was a high school teacher, and back in the 70's when the song, "come on baby, light my fire" by The Doors was popular, she saw some of the students go up to a fellow classmate while she was at her locker. One of the guys sang that line, then flicked his lighter on at the back of her head. Her hair went up in a whoosh of flames. My Mom never forgot it. After that, all the girls wore their hair up.

melesine
November 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
I'm so glad you're ok!

Oh man LOL, thanks for the warning. We have a chest freezer too. I can that happening to me.

Morphidae
November 3rd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Does sound dangerous indeed!!! Please be careful. Could've been worse. Happy you're ok

Wildcat Diva
November 3rd, 2013, 09:11 AM
Oh man LOL, thanks for the warning. We have a chest freezer too. I can that happening to me.

Sure! The mixed blessing of the kitchen and us longhairs, huh? It's great for finding hair-friendly ingredients, and protein for consumption and the like. But at what risk?

lapushka
November 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Oh my gosh, that could have been far worse than it actually was. So glad you're okay, and that your hair wasn't hurt that bad.

BlazingHeart
November 3rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Yikes! Glad you and most of your hair got away safe.

My mother was badly burned as a child. She was cooking something wearing a nightgown with long, loose sleeves, and one of the sleeves caught. The fire went up the sleeve and down her back before one of her brothers threw her on the ground and rolled her to put it out. She had second degree burns that deepened to third degree in some places, still carries slight scars over 40 years later. Lucky for you, hair is typically not as flammable as those old polyester nightgowns!

Kaelee
November 3rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
This thread is scaring me! It's a good reminder though...don't cook in a bathrobe and wear hair up around the stove...and teenage boys, apparently. :bigeyes:

CaityBear
November 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Wow. I'm glad to hear it wasn't too bad. My DBF completely burnt off a chunk of hair last year sometime while he was working.