PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my hair when I sleep?

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry I'm new here and I tried searching for a topic on sleep styles and couldn't find a thread on it.

My hair is just above my waist. I've been sleeping with it pulled up and trailing over the top of the pillow for years but it's just not working as well as I'd like. I move around a lot when I sleep and I'm always have to adjust my hair. I'm afraid to sleep with it in a bun because I'm afraid it will get tangled on the outside. I don't really want to braid it. I read in another thread someone talking about a sleep cover but I don't know what it is.

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
Oops, I forgot to ask. So what do you do with your hair when you're sleeping? What's worked best for you?

tetisheri72
November 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
I wear a braid of one sort or another. I've never been able to sleep with my hair down, I end up eating it. So I braid it, and then flip the braid up over my head. I sleep on my side, so it ends up sticking straight out behind me. I've tried sleeping in buns, and I can only sleep in certain buns, depending on how they are anchored. My hair is very slippy, so I have to have sticks or pins in to hold my hair. I find sleeping in buns to be slightly uncomfortable, but I've never tried a top knot.

I don't use a sleep cap or anything like that. Yet. I might at some point.

Katrine
November 2nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Sleep caps work pretty well. I found one that is a silky fabric that's breathable - the satin caps that I tried felt awful and looked terrible. HTH :)

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
Any advice on where to look for a good sleep cap?

Katrine
November 2nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
I like this one - and the price is right, too. Also, the elastic band is cotton which is also breathable. I just started wearing it but so far so good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321197524588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
I like this one - and the price is right, too. Also, the elastic band is cotton which is also breathable. I just started wearing it but so far so good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321197524588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks! I'll check it out.

DweamGoiL
November 2nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
I have been using this type for years:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/sleep-cap/SBS-261629,es,pd.html?cm_vc=CROSSSELL

I usually remove the bow on top and use the velcro at the top of my head so it doesn't get caught in my nape hairs. I usually roll up the hair up the back of my head like a french twist and then roll it in a loose cinnamon bun at the top of my head held by 2 small claw clips on each side of the top of my head if I want to wear it straight. If I want curls, then I pineapple it.

I have tried satin pillow cases and bonnets. The pillow cases gave me neck aches when my head would slip off and I would end up sleeping in weird positions and the all satin bonnets made my head sweat all night long.

stargazer616
November 2nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Usually I do a bun on the top of my head, tied with a scrunchie. I have also been known to do braids, but I prefer buns.

DJgang
November 2nd, 2013, 01:41 PM
I have been using this type for years:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/sleep-cap/SBS-261629,es,pd.html?cm_vc=CROSSSELL

I usually remove the bow on top and use the velcro at the top of my head so it doesn't get caught in my nape hairs. I usually roll up the hair up the back of my head like a french twist and then roll it in a loose cinnamon bun at the top of my head held by 2 small claw clips on each side of the top of my head if I want to wear it straight. If I want curls, then I pineapple it.

I have tried satin pillow cases and bonnets. The pillow cases gave me neck aches when my head would slip off and I would end up sleeping in weird positions and the all satin bonnets made my head sweat all night long.

Dang it, I just left Sally's ! I need one of these!

To answer your question, I usually put my hair all on top of my head and half way through the holder but its tarting to get too heavy. So I've been loosely braiding it. But that sleep cap looks like heaven! Especially having had migraine the last few days.

Thank you!

bythesea
November 2nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
I've always slept with it down, it manages to stay out of my way and untangled. But I'm thinking of using silk or satin sleep caps because I've heard it keeps moisture in your hair? Not sure if it's true.

DJgang
November 2nd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Lol, I think someone just bought the one on eBay, I can't view it.

Crumpet
November 2nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
I've been using this sleep cap. Its super comfy. I'm a bit obsessed with it, actually. I often take my hair down when I get home and put it on immediately...

http://www.hotcombs.net/crown-satin-sleepcap/

It somehow makes my hair look like its been blow-dried when I wake up in the morning. I resisted sleep caps for a while. I'm a convert now!

Crumpet
November 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've always slept with it down, it manages to stay out of my way and untangled. But I'm thinking of using silk or satin sleep caps because I've heard it keeps moisture in your hair? Not sure if it's true.

I think it helps distribute the oils. Also, it keeps your hair warm in winter, which is a good thing. My hair definitely looks more moisturized since I started using one.

DweamGoiL
November 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Dang it, I just left Sally's ! I need one of these!

To answer your question, I usually put my hair all on top of my head and half way through the holder but its tarting to get too heavy. So I've been loosely braiding it. But that sleep cap looks like heaven! Especially having had migraine the last few days.

Thank you!

You're very welcome. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me :)

mamaherrera
November 2nd, 2013, 10:51 PM
Does this leave a mark on your forehead?? And do you sleep with your hair loose inside the cap or do you braid or do something with it??

I've been using this sleep cap. Its super comfy. I'm a bit obsessed with it, actually. I often take my hair down when I get home and put it on immediately...

http://www.hotcombs.net/crown-satin-sleepcap/

It somehow makes my hair look like its been blow-dried when I wake up in the morning. I resisted sleep caps for a while. I'm a convert now!

jeanniet
November 3rd, 2013, 01:49 AM
Silk bonnets or beanies from Pretty Antoinet's, or a silk cap from Blensblends. Silk is much better than synthetic, IMO, even though it's more expensive.

http://www.prettyanntoinets.com
http://blensblend.com

hairaddiction
November 3rd, 2013, 01:19 AM
I wear mine in either a simple braid or if I'm oiling a satin sleep cap so my satin pillowcases don't get greased up. Handy things they are! Gentle on the hair.

MeowScat
November 3rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
I learned through trial and lots of error: always use a satin pillowcase. No matter if you wear it down, in a braid, bun, sleep cap, etc., that pillowcase makes everything slide across your pillow with such ease.

I have been wearing a bun on top of my head (lazy wrap held with a stick) and it has been the best method for me. Now my hair rests on my pillow and not under me. Braids were annoying, floppy and ended up fraying. :(

Becky9679
November 3rd, 2013, 04:03 AM
I used to try wearing my hair up or in a braid for sleeping but always found it really uncomfortable. A sleep cap is definitely my preference and rather than buying a special one I made my own - I took a pair of satin pyjama bottoms that I wasn't using, turned them inside out and sewed up the ends of the legs. To sleep I just stuff all my hair inside them with the waistband positioned around my head and secure with a headband. It never moves around during the night and is incredibly comfortable. I also often wear this in the evening whilst lounging around :D

NuclearApple
November 3rd, 2013, 04:20 AM
I just do a low loose ponytail and i put several elastics in at the same distance,I mean,just imagine princess jasmine's hair :)

Marika
November 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
I wear mine down or in a high bun with Quattro fork. My scalp is sometimes quite tender from wearing a bun all day so that's why I prefer it down. I'm really restless sleeper (basically insomniac) but for some reason my hair doesn't seem to tangle that much at nights. I have cotton pillowcases because I can't find (slippery) satin ones anywhere without expensive shipping costs. I've tried sleeping caps but they drive me crazy (not in a good way)!:p

Crumpet
November 3rd, 2013, 06:47 AM
Does this leave a mark on your forehead?? And do you sleep with your hair loose inside the cap or do you braid or do something with it??

It only leaves marks if I try to pull it down over my eyes to make it an eye cover also (yes, it works, but looks silly!).

I leave my hair loose in the cap. I think it likes being down since I have it up all day. It feels great in there. There's also the blown-dry look advantage as well. I don't understand how that works but it does!

mamaherrera
November 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks!
i will think about getting it, sounds easy enough. I have one from pretty antoinette that is nice, but it always marked my forehead.

It only leaves marks if I try to pull it down over my eyes to make it an eye cover also (yes, it works, but looks silly!).

I leave my hair loose in the cap. I think it likes being down since I have it up all day. It feels great in there. There's also the blown-dry look advantage as well. I don't understand how that works but it does!

mamaherrera
November 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks!
i will think about getting it, sounds easy enough. I have one from pretty antoinette that is nice, but it always marked my forehead.

melesine
November 4th, 2013, 06:50 AM
So last night I experimented and pulled my hair forward and to one side and loosely braided it so it came over my shoulder. It worked really well, no bump on the back of my head to annoy me and it didn't get trapped.

AmyBeth
November 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I use a silky cocoon sleep cap from etsy. A little pricier, but it has no elastic to damage my hair line. I can sleep with a braid, a bun or loose.

mamaherrera
November 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM
gosh I just ordered the other one from blends. .. .something. Wish I would've waited and I would've gotten that sleep cap from Etsy!

LaurelSpring
November 4th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I have tried sleep caps but it never works well for me or at least I haven't found the right one. I bend over and make a braid from the top of my crown and then bun it with a couple of spin pins. This has proved to be the best solution for me and I have pretty waves in the morning. I do have a satin and silk pillowcase that I use also.

mamaherrera
November 5th, 2013, 01:06 PM
so you find that the elastic is very gentle on forehead and hair on temples/front hairline?? I just ask a lot since I have invested in so many silk sleep caps and they've given me problems. HOping this one works!

breezefaerie
November 5th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I pineapple my hair on top pf my head in a scrunchie bun and sleep on a satin pillowcase.
Works for me and I get bun waves the next morning.