PDA

View Full Version : Seriously considering heat curling my hair tonight...

ProverbsGirl
November 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
My anniversary is tomorrow. My husband and I are going out tonight. It is our first date (without the kids along) in over THREE years! I'm so excited and want to go all out to look nice tonight.
My husband really likes my hair curly..and it is not naturally that way. I have more of less sworn off heat styling the last 8-10 months. I still do my bangs but that is about it.
I'm considering being bad and curling my whole head today. I'm gonna feel guilty about it, but if I'm only doing it like twice a year...*sigh*
I should have thought ahead and got some new sponge curlers and put them in last night. I will put them on my list for the next shopping trip.
Hubby has been very nice to put up with my crazy hair adjustments the last year or so. So..I'm gonna be nice and fix it how he likes tonight.

DweamGoiL
November 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Good luck tonight and congratulations to both of you!

Islandgrrl
November 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
Happy anniversary!

AmyBeth
November 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
If that's what you want to do, then why feel guilty- it's only hair!:) I don't know how robust your hair is. Mine is very fine and fragile. The last time I was at a salon in Feb '13, the stylist blew it dry and flat ironed it for the first time in probably a year, and I did notice a distinct uptick in my splits the next few S& D sessions. So never more for me. My goal is to grow my hair as long as possible as quickly as possible- I want that more than I want curls. But if I did want curls or texture, I would wash the day before, let it almost dry, then put in rag curlers, a bun or buns, braids- whatever I need to get the texture I want. Then I let it dry overnight and when I'm all dressed to go, I take my hair out, fingercomb and done with minimal damage. I'm happy with the results when I do that. That may be an option for you, but if you want to go ahead with heat, I promise we won't send the LHC police out to get you:p. We'll let you slide since it's only once a year.

niky45
November 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Do it. This is not about NEVER doing anything fun, but about keeping healthy hair and having fun with it. One time heat-curling won't damage it THAT bad. Don't even think of doing it everyday, though. :p

I mean... why would you want long hair, if you can't be happy with it? It's not like ONE time heat-styling will heavily damage it... (Actually I bet that if you don't do it often, as in every now and then, you won't get visible damage....). Definitely not the same as heat-styling it EVERY day.

wildkratt
November 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
If you don't want to use heat, there are a lot of methods to get curls in a safer way (my faves are cocoon curls and sock curls-there are lots of threads about them on LHC and youtube vids). But this is just a once-a-year occasion, so don't feel too guilty and go ahead to do whatever makes your hair look pretty. :D

Have an awesome anniversary! :flowers:

wildkratt
November 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
And don't forget to take pictures so we could all see how nice you look!

morrigan*
November 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
I agree, do it, maybe try to switch it to minimal heat and don't hold it in for too long, but do it and please don't feel guilty! You can still do a smt tomorrow or next time you'll wash your hair.

restless
November 2nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
If this is what you want then do it (carefully of course, with heat protectants and low temperature). You know your hair better than I do, but Id still say one single time wont do much harm. I also try to avoid heat and other damaging things, but I carefully teased my hair the other day for a Halloween party. I figured it would be okay for that one occassion and it was. Teasing my hair everyday would ruin it, as well as heat styling would ruin yours but it wont erase all the effort we´ve put into our hair if we do it once every blue moon.

Happy anniversary :)

DweamGoiL
November 2nd, 2013, 10:50 AM
And don't forget to take pictures so we could all see how nice you look!

*nods* We need pictures

MaryMarx
November 2nd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Don't feel guilty! Happy anniversary. :)

martyna_22
November 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Have you tried beautyklove's tutorials? They're no heat and absolutely amazing. I'll put the link to her channel below just in case ;)
link (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp2Fm1fzjSAMmlnZ8F-C1nA)

prettyinpink
November 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
If you do, grapeseed oil is an amazing heat protectant. Make sure it says "unrefined" You can get it at walmart by the mexican food. The oil by the cooking oils is all refined.

bythesea
November 2nd, 2013, 01:33 PM
I honestly think heat styling just depends on each different person.

I used to curl my hair with curling irons and hot rollers and blow dryers every other day religiously. Didn't even use a heat protecting spray.

My hair is not damaged and I barely have any split ends. BUT my hair isn't dyed, and I think that's what really makes the difference for my hair.

Slaves of Venus
November 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Congrats and I hope that your hair turned out beautiful !

duchess67
November 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Happy Anniversary!

shutterpillar
November 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Have fun, and don't feel bad about curling it! What is the point of having long hair if you can't enjoy it?

LaurelSpring
November 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
I did tonight. I saw a youtube I wanted to try. I haven't used heat in a long time. It looks ok, but next time I am going to plan ahead and go heat free. I don't like how dry and crackly it feels. I cant believe that I use to do this every day!