PDA

View Full Version : Hair chalk?

Cherry*Tree
November 1st, 2013, 09:19 PM
I want to try out some purple hair chalk (because purple is amazing) but I want to know; does it damage hair? It's one of the ones that set with hairspray, not heat.

Marbid
November 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM
meh. I watched a you tube review on hair chalk. The chalk used just needed to be slightly damp (don't know if other type of chalks need hair spray to stay). and from the review I gathered that the chalk itself is relatively harmless. But what would cause damage is the lil clip thing you use to applicate as hair can get caught or pulled on it. well here is the review I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKX0Yu8FTf8

PrincessIdril
November 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
I don't believe it does. I use hair chalk occasionally myself (purple & pink ftw) and haven't noticed any issues (be that drying or mechanical damage). My chalk doesn't come with one of those clips things the video marbid linked to has, mine looks more like a tub of eye shadow (as in it's just a tub with the stuff in and a screw on lid) so there is nothing to catch on your hair and pull. And my chalk certainly doesn't want to be damp, in fact it warns that you should only use it on dry hair to avoid potential staining (I think this is more of an issue for light hair though)

Just use plenty of leave in before you apply the chalk (and let it dry!), always apply in a downwards direction (same motion you'd use when brushing) and use plenty of conditioner when you wash it out (I shampoo twice to ensure I've got it all out). If you have quite dark hair you might need to apply a fair bit to get a decent colour and don't forget to put a towel underneath as things will get messy!

Hope that helps :)

Shibe
November 2nd, 2013, 11:40 PM
meh. I watched a you tube review on hair chalk. The chalk used just needed to be slightly damp (don't know if other type of chalks need hair spray to stay). and from the review I gathered that the chalk itself is relatively harmless. But what would cause damage is the lil clip thing you use to applicate as hair can get caught or pulled on it. well here is the review I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKX0Yu8FTf8

That is a very interesting looking lady

thirstylocks
November 3rd, 2013, 12:51 AM
I used hair chalk from rickys and i think my hair got more damage from the applicator than the chalk itself. Also, it came off really easily and got ALL over my skin and face. Do not recommend it.