PDA

View Full Version : Question about individual hair strand

Kwantslonghair
November 1st, 2013, 08:39 AM
Ok. So I was looking at some shed hairs and holding at bulb end while running my fingers down the length. It was very smooth. I turned around and did it from the other end expecting to feel some roughness from going against the grain so to speak. It was just as smooth either way. Is this a good thing. I tried it with several hairs and they were the same

bananahanna
November 1st, 2013, 09:24 AM
this is how a lot of my hair is too! in curious to see the answers.

BlazingHeart
November 1st, 2013, 09:26 PM
As I recall, that means you have a very tight cuticle and low porosity hair. Typically, that is mostly a good thing - it means that the scales are harder to lift and break off, and that your hair will be affected less by the environment around it, and it should lose less moisture than average. However, it also means that it's hard to get moisture in, and that deep conditioning treatments may need more time or a bit of warmth to do good. Oh, and it means your hair would probably be hard to dye or perm, as both of those need to lift the cuticle to work.

Kwantslonghair
November 2nd, 2013, 04:08 AM
As I recall, that means you have a very tight cuticle and low porosity hair. Typically, that is mostly a good thing - it means that the scales are harder to lift and break off, and that your hair will be affected less by the environment around it, and it should lose less moisture than average. However, it also means that it's hard to get moisture in, and that deep conditioning treatments may need more time or a bit of warmth to do good. Oh, and it means your hair would probably be hard to dye or perm, as both of those need to lift the cuticle to work.

Yay. I don't perm and the couple times I did I had crazy curly frizz. A body perm does nothing to mine though. I can color my hair easily. M ends are rarely dry and seldom get split ends. I guess that is good then.