PDA

View Full Version : What should i use for LOW porosity very FINE dry and thin hair? It breaks like crazy!

lole18
October 31st, 2013, 12:47 PM
I noticed it breaking\shedding more when i use oil as well so i don't know what to use on it! It's so dry and it breaks A LOT!

Johannah
October 31st, 2013, 01:09 PM
I guess there is no 'fixing answer' in this, you just need to find out what works for you. Have you tried SMT already? Or just use oils on the ends? Maybe another oil will work?

NuclearApple
October 31st, 2013, 01:12 PM
I've heard oil put on dry hair doesnt help,cause the natural sebum is oil too,so to melt an oil you need another oil,so the sebum melts and the hair dryes (I don't know if that's true but it could help you! :) )

Candy lee
October 31st, 2013, 11:41 PM
I noticed it breaking\shedding more when i use oil as well so i don't know what to use on it! It's so dry and it breaks A LOT!

I think u should try to trim it and using a hair mask and also the serum, i use l'oreal liss ultime expert series. It is very good. I have been try it.

sparrowswing
November 1st, 2013, 02:13 AM
My hair is also fine and very low porosity. It's not thin, per se, but it's definitely a lot thinner than it used to be. The biggest problem I've found is that most moisture treatments don't do much at all for hair with low porosity. It takes a lot of effort over time to see a change, because our porosity means that we can only manage a little bit of change at a time. It's a blessing as much as a curse, though, because those with high porosity might see fast results but then end up with the same problem again soon after.

What works for me: oil just on the ends, at least for half an hour, but up to 24 hours before a wash. I don't do the 24 hours unless I can stay home all day, because my hair looks awful with even the tiniest bit of oil. I also can't comb or brush my hair while there is any oil at all added, because it will cause too much pulling, and therefore shedding. I also CWC, sometimes with a third C just on the ends. I use an ACV rinse after my wash, but that's to combat hard water. S&D of course. And I use a Tangle Teezer for brushing. I actually get more breakage with a comb than a normal hair brush, but I get almost none with a TT. All these changes didn't seem like they were doing anything at first, but after a year and half, I can say that I have a lot more thickness and my hair is much happier.

Your hair isn't stretchy or gummy, is it? If so, the problem might be protein rather and moisture. Hair likes a balance between the two. I usually use this (http://kinkycurlycoilyme.com/are-your-moisture-and-protein-levels-balanced/) to see which I might need.

LadyCelestina
November 1st, 2013, 04:23 AM
If it breaks like crazy,I would check for health problems.I have a theory that (especially) low porosity hair is not as much what you slap on it,but more how your healthy you are.When I had health problems, it was breaking all the time,all over.Not porous roots as well as porous length.
Now,I am growing out hair dye,so it could have been a contributing factor,but my haircare didn't really change and my hair breaks much less.So I blame health problems.

ETA: Also,try checking for build up and maybe too much protein in haircare products.

Liz_park
November 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM
ETA: Also,try checking for build up and maybe too much protein in haircare products.

I agree with this! Have you tried clarifying with a chelating shampoo? K-PAX Joico has a brilliant clarifying/chelating shampoo that not only removes build-up but mineral deposits from hard water. I recently used the Joico Clarifying Shampoo on my hair after reading about it on LHC and I can't get over how great it worked. My hair feels like new hair! My hair was quite dry just before and now it feels great, I would give that a try :)

CurlyMopTop
November 1st, 2013, 12:49 PM
I third the clarifying/Cheleating! Every time I have a breakage problem, it's been from some kind of build-up. Follow up with a nice hair masque or deep conditioning treatment. Every time I do this, I feel like I have a brand new head of hair!

PrairieRose
November 2nd, 2013, 07:15 PM
I have fine, low porosity hair. I just bought a heat cap. The warmth is suppose to open the hair cuticle to allow the moisture in. I am going to try it with a oil treatment.

Firefox7275
November 4th, 2013, 06:04 AM
How do you know your hair is low porosity and lacking in water? Agree have a medical check up, also consider hydrolysed protein treatments.