PDA

View Full Version : Thick hair updos?

memphisluvr
September 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I have two standards for my updos- the low ponytail, and a plain bun. I'd like to add more, but I run out of hair!

My hair is just short of waist (2 inches or so-that's just short of, right?)and is quite thick. For example, when I tried to do the Lazy Wrap Bun just now, I ran out of hair just as I was getting it past my thumb!

I can successfully do a Gibson Tuck, but it looks like a humongous growth on the back of my head! I've also tried the log roll variation of the French Twist, but that's not been successful so far. I think that one is just me though.

Are there any suggestions on hair styles for thick and not quite long enough hair?

Thanks so much!

Euphony
September 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Oh boy, I wasn't able to do much before waist length, and sometimes a bit longer. There are still several styles I cannot do and my hair is a tad longer than 35". I still can't do a cinnamon bun, well okay I can but my hair eats it, so it's just this big round thing.

At your length I could do a bee butt bun, almost a figure 8 - if I tucked and pinned a lot I could manage it, but it wouldn't hold long. French braid or Dutch braid of course.

Hmmmm boy, sorry, I'm not much help am I?

Hypnotica
September 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
My French Twist variations maybe? I have rather thick hair (can't do a proper figure eight yet).

Ohio Sky
September 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I don't have thick hair, but I do have a trick that may help you. When I wanted to try a do that my hair wasn't long enough for, I would split the hair in two and do it that way. Like, to do a braided bun, ponytail your hair and do two braids (or even 3 if you want) and then wrap. This works for a number of buns.

Hope that helps!

midnighttrain
September 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Maybe you could try the double rose buns ? :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=804

Silver & Gold
September 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I don't have thick hair, but I do have a trick that may help you. When I wanted to try a do that my hair wasn't long enough for, I would split the hair in two and do it that way. Like, to do a braided bun, ponytail your hair and do two braids (or even 3 if you want) and then wrap. This works for a number of buns.

Hope that helps!

Yes I do the same. My hair is too short for a lot of styles but splitting the hair really helps. You just have to be more creative. Create your own hairstyle that works for you. Once you do you'll find all kinds of people with thin hair moaning that their hair is too thin for your style.

Ooooo, I would love to get my hands on your hair, the things I would experiment with . . .

Tapioca
September 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
A good old braided bun. Make a ponytail at the back of the head with a hairsafe elastic. Braid the ponytail, and tie off with another hair-safe elastic. Wrap it around like a bun and pin. This is one of my favorites, and is shown below.

FrannyG
September 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I have the opposite situation from you, as my hair isn't at all thick, however, I've been here long enough to see how a lot of thicker haired people deal updos.

Many people here have gone with dividing their hair in half and doing double updos. It can be a very elegant look, and will allow you to try figure 8s and other updos of that nature, that you can't ordinarily do with such thick hair.

You can do the knots or buns side by side or one over the other.

Good luck! :blossom:

memphisluvr
September 6th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Ooooo, I would love to get my hands on your hair, the things I would experiment with . . .

Bwahahaha! Would it involve bunnies and saltines? Cause I'm scared of bunnies and saltines. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm not especially creative with my hair so I never thought to split it in half. *hangs head in shame*

The double rose buns are lovely. Now I'll be teaching myself to rope braid! And maybe the braided bun too. I think my hair's too short of a single one of those though.

I did get a successful French Twist up yesterday. Unfortunately I don't remember how I did it. :(

Silver & Gold
September 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Bwahahaha! Would it involve bunnies and saltines? Cause I'm scared of bunnies and saltines. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm not especially creative with my hair so I never thought to split it in half. *hangs head in shame*

The double rose buns are lovely. Now I'll be teaching myself to rope braid! And maybe the braided bun too. I think my hair's too short of a single one of those though.

I did get a successful French Twist up yesterday. Unfortunately I don't remember how I did it. :(

No bunnies or saltines, I promise! But there would be lots and lots of hairtoys involved. Have fun with your hair experiments. If you didn't see this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11657), you'll want to try this updo or your own variation of it. I did it last night on my hair and it was way too cute!

The video does take a long time to download but it is so worth it.

tinabcurly
September 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
memphisluvr, I'm so glad you posted this question! I'm in the same boat as you & can do like three updos. The suggestion to split the hair is pure genius. I've been playing all morning & to my surprise I can do double figure 8s & infinities. Of course I need tons of practice for them to look good but I have options now! I just ordered a bunch of hair-stick pairs from Ketylo I'm so psyched.

Periwinkle
September 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
My hair is a fraction shorter than yours and I have a 5.5" pony circumference, which is only going to get thicker as my thinning grows out (it's not yet reached the point where I can tie the 'natural' hair back).

My regular style is a figure 8, though most people don't seem to be able to get it to work until waist or hip length. I could get it to work 2 or 3 inches ago, though :/

Are you sure you're doing the lazy wrap bun right? I can get my hair round almost twice, so I'm surprised you couldn't manage it.

Have you tried the cheat's figure 8? My hair's a bit long for it, but if you can't manage a normal figure 8, you might be able to do it more easily than me.

Other than figure 8s, I wear ponies, scrunchie buns, English braids (normal and Dianyla's method) and French braids.

memphisluvr
September 11th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Are you sure you're doing the lazy wrap bun right? I can get my hair round almost twice, so I'm surprised you couldn't manage it.

Have you tried the cheat's figure 8? My hair's a bit long for it, but if you can't manage a normal figure 8, you might be able to do it more easily than me.

I tried the lazy wrap bun again tonight and got it up! It looked like crap and the ends were somewhere weird, but it stayed up long enough for me to look at it in the mirror. That's a major milestone!

In other news, did you know it was possible to break a bobby pin? It went POP when I was trying to figure out where my ends were and pin them down.

I measured my thickness and my pony is 4.5 to 5 inches around approximately. It also juuust hits my waist when wet.

I'll try the cheater's figure 8 as soon as I find the instructions again and my arms stop aching.

Thanks everyone!