PDA

View Full Version : ISO moisturizing condish with plenty of slip, no cones or protein, & minimal scent

winship2
October 31st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Does such a product exist?? My waist-length hair has been dry lately and I have been using Giovanni Deeper Moisture Smooth as Silk. It's pretty good, but has very little slip and I have to leave my hair completely untouched till it dries-- if I try to separate the strands at all to help drying they tangle. In fact, it doesn't really do a good job keeping my hair untangled during the day. (I do add a little coconut oil while wet and wear it up about half the time.) Although I prefer the more natural products, mostly because I don't like strong scents, I tried Garnier Fructis Smooth & Sleek conditioner the other day after seeing it recommended here, and it was OK, but I guess it has cones and they seem to make my hair feel more coarse and kind of weird. It definitely tried faster with the Garnier than the Giovanni, and had more slip. I don't care for the fruity scent. How might the Biolage Conditioning Balm be?

I live in Portland, Oregon, so it's a mild climate. Waist-length, long layers, 1b, not very porous, dislikes protein, cones seem to build up fast. I'd really appreciate any recommendations.

renia22
November 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
There's a Canadian brand called Curelle that you might be able to find in your area. The one without cones or protein is called "treslite". It's unscented & doesn't contain irritants. I used it last summer & liked it, but stopped ordering it because the shipping got to be too much. It was nice, though!

Anje
November 3rd, 2013, 07:34 PM
Well, I'm happy using Suave Naturals, which are cone-free and all but the coconut are protein-free, but I can't say they're very light on scent. They're also lightweight and only so-so for slip. I'm known to add a squirt of corn syrup to mine for added humectant, which makes my hair slipperier.

I know at least one member here makes her own. With ingredients like BTMS, you could get some great slip while customizing your recipe.

ETA: Here's her recipe. (forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55448&p=1250257&viewfull=1#post1250257)

HintOfMint
November 3rd, 2013, 07:46 PM
I believe some of the Tresemme Naturals conditioners are both cone and protein free, so that's worth looking into. I would add a bit of honey to it for an extra shot of moisturizing, but it's a decent conditioner that provides enough slip and fits your criteria.

ETA: I can't vouch for the "minimal scent" part, actually. I mean, it's not like Garnier or Herbal Essences (which I've found to be scent powerhouses), but it's not scentless.

Lyv
November 4th, 2013, 01:38 AM
I'd second the Tresemme Naturals suggestion. It gives my hair a lot of slip and it stays tangle free and soft all day. As for the scent, it's a little strong at first but fades away pretty fast imo.

jupiterinleo
November 4th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I, too, have similar conditioner issues and I'm looking for a conditioner like this.
I used to use Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Conditioner, which I liked 'cause it has no parabens, 'cones, or dyes and a minimal fragrance, if any at all. However, it is VERY heavy--too heavy for my fine hair. I might actually try diluting it by half to see if that does anything. I will post in here if it helps at all.

starlamelissa
November 4th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Tresseme naturals, or naturelle hypo allergenic conditioner from sally beauty.

Cones however aren't a bad thing for shampoo users.

magfish
November 5th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I personally found tresemme naturals to be irritating- made my scalp itch like crazy, but ymmv. Will keep my eye on this thread because I think I need to cut the protein!

winship2
November 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I've ended up trying the Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil line-- the shampoo, conditioner, conditioning mask, and the leave-in serum. The serum has silicones, but so far (after four days) are not weighing my hair down the way Pantene, for example, does. I've also been experimenting with gently blow-drying my hair on cool-- there's a thread somewhere about this-- to see if that helps move my hair from wet and susceptible to friction to dry and smoother and less tangly faster. We'll see! So far though, I'm really liking the 2chic products a lot and would suggest them to others. Very affordable and a light, pleasant smell.