PDA

View Full Version : Protect hair in the cold

Misschilly
October 31st, 2013, 10:27 AM
If you wear a knitted headband (wider one) in the winter with the bun left "outside" would that be OK or is a beanie much better for the hair because it covers all of it?

Camilla

Long_hair_bear
October 31st, 2013, 10:58 AM
I wear my scoodie over my hair and put a little oil in my hair in the winter. :)

DweamGoiL
October 31st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Of course, the more covered it remains, the more protected it will be, but you don't have to go overboard. As long as you keep your hair hydrated and pampered and wear protective hairstyles often, you can do either. On the coldest days, I would try to cover as much as I could.

ShieldMayden
October 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
I think how windy a place is has a big impact on your hair as well - I know that cold + wind damages my hair far more than just cold. But everybody's hair is different.

Misschilly
October 31st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your answers girls! It gets really cold here in sweden, but during autumn/spring I guess a headband would be OK!

Leery
October 31st, 2013, 11:38 AM
I live in a dry, cold climate and seeing what it does to my skin is enough to make me keep my hair oiled and covered during the harshest winter months.

Granger Mane
October 31st, 2013, 12:40 PM
I do an undo, usually single or double bun, and cover it under my jacket hood.

jacqueline101
October 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
Like others have said the more covered it is the better it's protected. The better protected it is the less damage will happen. The winter time is the season to pamper your hair a bit more.

Johannah
October 31st, 2013, 01:05 PM
Updo + oil = great. :o

caren
October 31st, 2013, 01:44 PM
I just bought my first snood (from asnoodforallseasons based on reccs from LHC folks) so I can use it for cold weather hair protection over a bun. Usually, I just pile it in a hat or oil it and use a headband, but my ends always get super dry...no matter how much oil I use. Her snoods are pretty, and look like they would be pretty protective.

dwell_in_safety
October 31st, 2013, 01:59 PM
I have to walk three miles to work 1-2 days a week and have been thinking about this a lot, too. I think I am going to purchase a thermal Buff. I already have three UV protectant Buffs that I bought in April to wear whenever I'm outside. I currently wear one each time I walk, but in the winter I don't think that will be enough. So, a winter Buff it will be, to wear over my hair and under my Ushanka hat that I bought in Russia a few years back. I can wear that hat in 15F and colder and still be toasty warm.

Misschilly
October 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM
I just bought my first snood (from asnoodforallseasons based on reccs from LHC folks) so I can use it for cold weather hair protection over a bun. Usually, I just pile it in a hat or oil it and use a headband, but my ends always get super dry...no matter how much oil I use. Her snoods are pretty, and look like they would be pretty protective.

Thanks for the link but the material seems to be too thin for the Swedish climate I'm afraid..but for summer, great!=)

Update: Oh she has knitted ones, very intresting!!

magfish
October 31st, 2013, 03:42 PM
How do you find the buff on your hair?? I love the idea of the merino wool buff but I don't want it to damage / pull at my hair. I also really like the hoodie buff, but I want something that doesn't pull too much at my curls and I don't know if either of those would fit that need.

dwell_in_safety
November 1st, 2013, 05:55 AM
How do you find the buff on your hair?? I love the idea of the merino wool buff but I don't want it to damage / pull at my hair. I also really like the hoodie buff, but I want something that doesn't pull too much at my curls and I don't know if either of those would fit that need.

I'm not too sure about the winter Buffs as I only have ones for summer at the moment, but if they're woven similarly I would guess they'll be OK on hair. They are very smooth. I do have to keep my hair in styles that lay fairly flat against my head when I'm wearing one, in general, if I want to leave enough room to tuck the back under itself. I CAN wear bulkier buns with hair sticks, but when I do, it's a little more difficult to get the ends to stay. There is video floating around on YouTube of someone on LHC, or who was at one point, with knee-length hair who always used Buffs for protection and her hair still fit just fine as long as she uses pins and not sticks etc to hold it.

shutterpillar
November 1st, 2013, 06:45 AM
I was just considering getting something like this (http://www.modcloth.com/shop/scarves/strong-sister-hood-scarf-in-navy) for winter. (that particular item is no longer available, but I'm sure I could find something like it.)

Marika
November 1st, 2013, 07:14 AM
I walk a lot and winters here in Finland can be pretty harsh too. When it's really cold (and dry), I actually wear my hair down under my winter coat and hood over my head. When I get inside, I put my hair up in a bun. I just have to make sure I don't wear a woolly sweater under my coat because then my hair is a tangled mess! :D

DweamGoiL
November 1st, 2013, 09:27 AM
I was just considering getting something like this (http://www.modcloth.com/shop/scarves/strong-sister-hood-scarf-in-navy) for winter. (that particular item is no longer available, but I'm sure I could find something like it.)

I got something similar...really cute from Amazon.

midbackorbust
November 2nd, 2013, 09:55 PM
OP your name is very appropriate for this thread :)
I've got my eye on a really cute winter hat this year ;)

askan
November 2nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
I also live in Sweden and I plan to never go out this winter.
But I like that scarf shutterpillar linked. I've not worn any kind of winter headwear since i was a kid. This might be the year though.

WilfredAllen
November 2nd, 2013, 10:08 PM
A few people have mentioned oil and I am wondering about what would happen when the oil freezes?

I wear a toque, tuck the bottom of my hair into my coat and wrap my scarf around thw space in between

askan
November 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
By they way, you know these baggy beanies? Do you think it would be possible to line one of those with satin to make it hair-friendlier?

mamaherrera
November 2nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
Maybe I'm stupid, but I've always been told there is no stupid question. In what way does wind damage hair?? Because here in Albuquerque, it's ALWAYS windy, hot or cold, doesn't matter. and I usually have my hair exposed to that wind when I go walking outside.

Diamond.Eyes
November 3rd, 2013, 12:13 AM
I live in the Sonoran desert, in a city with absolutely no humidity in the air. In other words, it's bone-dry. I protect my hair by coating it lightly with some of Nightblooming's Winter Panacea, or Josie Maran's infinity oil, then I do a do a low cinnabun and cover it all with one of my silk-lined knit beanies that I altered to ease my crazy hair paranoia :laugh:.

jlw9222
November 3rd, 2013, 12:26 AM
I live in a very cold northern climate. When I wear my hair down, I tend to leave my hair inside my coat with a hat and wrap a scarf around my neck. I care more about protecting my hair if it's blowing outside than if it's just cold. I do, however, make sure my hair stays moisturized and I coat it with coconut oil if I put it up for the day.

Misschilly
November 3rd, 2013, 01:11 PM
I also live in Sweden and I plan to never go out this winter.
But I like that scarf shutterpillar linked. I've not worn any kind of winter headwear since i was a kid. This might be the year though.

Haha, I guess I will go out, sunny days with the snow can be really beautiful!=)

Misschilly
November 3rd, 2013, 01:14 PM
By they way, you know these baggy beanies? Do you think it would be possible to line one of those with satin to make it hair-friendlier?

Yeah absolutly, I try to do it!

Misschilly
November 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
I live in the Sonoran desert, in a city with absolutely no humidity in the air. In other words, it's bone-dry. I protect my hair by coating it lightly with some of Nightblooming's Winter Panacea, or Josie Maran's infinity oil, then I do a do a low cinnabun and cover it all with one of my silk-lined knit beanies that I altered to ease my crazy hair paranoia :laugh:.

Yeah, LHC makes me go hair paranoid to!=) Beautiful hair btw!!!

~*~Aspen~*~
November 24th, 2013, 06:24 AM
I live in a dry, cold climate and seeing what it does to my skin is enough to make me keep my hair oiled and covered during the harshest winter months.

Lips here; And that's definitely right!..

~*~Aspen~*~
November 24th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I think how windy a place is has a big impact on your hair as well - I know that cold + wind damages my hair far more than just cold. But everybody's hair is different.

Yes. (I'm technically adjusting to my second year of weather here, but with more wet and lots of wind..)

~*~Aspen~*~
November 24th, 2013, 06:34 AM
A few people have mentioned oil and I am wondering about what would happen when the oil freezes?

I wear a toque, tuck the bottom of my hair into my coat and wrap my scarf around thw space in between

Ha-Ha!;) Yes, it sux.!-

Amapola
November 24th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Maybe I'm stupid, but I've always been told there is no stupid question. In what way does wind damage hair?? Because here in Albuquerque, it's ALWAYS windy, hot or cold, doesn't matter. and I usually have my hair exposed to that wind when I go walking outside.

Hi mamaherrera! I'm in Mora! :)

Yes, it *IS* always windy here it seems. For me, what happens is the wind twists my hair in little knots and snarls. Then when I try to detangle it, it breaks. So that's how wind damages my hair. Actually having long hair has helped tremendously because now I can bun it. My hair will snarl in the wind when it's ear lobe length. :) I have bangs and they still snarl, but since I keep cutting them off the damage does not matter so much. The rest of my hair is nice and cozy and protected in a bun.

What I do in the winter is put my hair up after oiling it with coconut oil and then wear a hood. I never buy a jacket if it does not have a hood so I always have a hood available. If it's extra cold, I have a really nice and soft scarf I wrap around my bun and hair, then I put the hood on. I live on a farm, I have to go out in the weather twice a day no matter what, to feed and care for the livestock and do other chores. I don't have the option of staying in, ever.

bunzfan
November 24th, 2013, 10:13 AM
i've just switched to cones a lot do that in the winter for my protection.

AmyBeth
November 25th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I'm as protective of my skin as I am of my hair, so a pashmina works for me. I can wrap it around so that it covers my hair and face without roughing up my hair.