PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to fix damaged hair at all if it does not have splits?

susieq998
October 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I would probably say the last 4-5 inches of my hair are dyed and not quite as healthy as the rest of my hair. I already cut most of it off (probably about 8 inches) and I really dont want to cut anymore I went from 24 to 15 now at 18 inches. I know I could slowly trim it off. But I feel if I did that I would just be maintaining my current length and its way to short for me personally. I worry about it damaging the rest of my hair if I don't get rid of it though. There are some splits mostly in the back of my hair but I try to search and destroy those every month. Is there a way to make it healthier if thats possible. I take good care of my hair and really at the point where i don't do anything to it but wash and condition air dry oil and put up in bun. My hair looks healthy until i look at the ends of it up really close. Any suggestions?

Madora
October 30th, 2013, 08:05 PM
You can't repair what has been damaged. Supposedly there are products with "seal" strands to help disguise damage..but the hair is still damaged.

Only solution is to completely cut off the damage and then baby your hair agressively.

Splits will keep on splitting, that's just the nature of the beast. You might want to consider S and D ing every week as a more agressive approach to your problem...but really, just getting rid of the damage all at once is better.

antler_tines
October 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Once its damaged there isn't anything to repair it. You will just have to treat it nice and keep it conditioned in hopes the damage doesn't get worse.

vindo
October 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Only solution is to completely cut off the damage and then baby your hair agressively.

Somehow baby and aggressive don't go together :lol: ;-)

OP

Like others have said you can't fix it, you can only try to get it to "survive". If it is really damaged a trim really is better but in cases of not so severe damage frequent trims while growing slowly can be a solution too.

Many many years ago I had damage from dye, I was still able to grow with some S&D, oil and a trimming and maintaing period.

susieq998
October 30th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Somehow baby and aggressive don't go together :lol: ;-)

OP

Like others have said you can't fix it, you can only try to get it to "survive". If it is really damaged a trim really is better but in cases of not so severe damage frequent trims while growing slowly can be a solution too.

Many many years ago I had damage from dye, I was still able to grow with some S&D, oil and a trimming and maintaing period.

ok so if I was to maintain considering the damage really isnt that bad. would it be alright to grow it out at least a few more inches first without risking further damage and then maintaining till the damage is gone?

susieq998
October 30th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I want to be a least 3 inches longer

Shibe
October 30th, 2013, 08:49 PM
What I would do is S&D, oil, and trim and baby your hair. Start putting it in protective styles, and figure out what it likes. Your goal is 3 inches, which is about 6 months for the regular person. You can grow your hair passed the 3 inches and start trimming it back to 21 inches. It will take a while but might work if you are on top of the damage enough.

I would avoid blowfrying, flat irons, or anything that would damage your hair.

TL;DR: Start taking care of your hair aggressively and grow the length passed your goal length. Trim back to your goal length so it grows out the damage while remaining the length you want. Taking care of your hair will make the undamaged hair healthier while doing so.

jacqueline101
October 30th, 2013, 10:05 PM
You have to trim off the damage and pamper your hair. It's the only way to remove damage. You can micro trim or s&d your hair. It's one way of removing damage. You can maintain trim off damage as your hair grows out.

Majormiles
October 31st, 2013, 02:58 AM
Hair is already dead, so it can't rejuvenate itself, even with lots of help! Think of it like leather, you can moisturise it and look after it, but if you scratch it it will never hel itself again

Firefox7275
October 31st, 2013, 03:22 AM
You can patch repair (temporary) with hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Also reduce porosity, increase elasticity and reduce further structural protein loss with coconut oil. However if you have splits then an inch or two above that is likely beyond salvaging, cuticle badly damaged or completely gone.

lapushka
October 31st, 2013, 05:56 AM
Once its damaged there isn't anything to repair it. You will just have to treat it nice and keep it conditioned in hopes the damage doesn't get worse.

This. ^^ Products with silicones might help make the hair smoother, but the damage, if the hair is damaged, is still going to be there. I'd say microtrim, trim your growth off every month for a number of months (ie maintain the length).

vindo
October 31st, 2013, 06:31 PM
ok so if I was to maintain considering the damage really isnt that bad. would it be alright to grow it out at least a few more inches first without risking further damage and then maintaining till the damage is gone?

Technically yes! But how long you can go without seeing further damages entirely depends on the degree of damage you already have. It may not get worse, at least for me my hair slowly recovered and evened up. A few splits and some damage really isn't the end of the world. You just don't want it to get to the point where it looks obviously damaged and bad, or it keeps you from growing because it is breaking.

I would say just give it a try! :)

Here is my blog entry regarding the method I have been using since early '07:
http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

I have done it different ways. Sometimes I maintain, sometimes I trim AND grow...I always have some sort of strategy depending on what I want to achieve...more even ends or some length. It is also possible to grow a few months and then trim for a few. I often decide depending on my hair's condition.

I want to be a least 3 inches longer

:confused: :lol: lol, not sure it can add to your height