PDA

View Full Version : Is a high ponytail even possible with our heavier hair?

DarleneH
October 30th, 2013, 07:36 PM
My hair is between mid-back and waist; not super long but heavy enough that along with it's silkiness I can't keep a ponytail UP. In no time at all it is saggy at the bottom. Is it even possible with hair as long as ours to maintain a decently elevated ponytail?

Madora
October 30th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Personally speaking, I don't recommend ponytails as a protective style. Once in a while..maybe..but not for really thick hair (and I did have very thick hair back in the day).

To begin with, you're inviting several problems with ponys: possible damage from breakage/friction, not to mention mechanical damage from dealing with tangles from the ponytail bouncing around all day.

If you must ponytail, then divide the pony in 2 sections. Loosely braid one section and wind it around the ponytail base and pin with hairpins (not bobby pins). If you don't want to braid it, then you could take one section, divide it in 2, then twine each section around the other under you have a "rope", then take the "rope" and wind it around the ponytail base.

I gave up on ponytails because the tail felt like an anvil and my hair got terribly tangled. Braids are much easier on the head and more protective as well.

Lyv
October 30th, 2013, 11:38 PM
My hair is a little shorter than yours but it won't stay up for anything. I get the saggy bottom or if I find a loose hair tie I can get it around 1 extra turn and it kinda stays but then it's so tight it feels like I'm ripping my hair out. I usually just do buns and some braids if my layers want to cooperate.

DancingQueen
October 31st, 2013, 12:54 AM
My hair is not that long, but for a ponytail that I believe will hold any hair, use a headband as a ponytail holder. (you know, those 5-7,5 cm broad fabric ones). I use tis for sports sometimes, as it keeps the hair of my neck. :)

LadyCelestina
October 31st, 2013, 02:49 AM
I have this problem too,with length I seem to be losing my ability to wear high buns and ponytails comfortably.It either falls down or is too tight.I'm watching this thread.

Granger Mane
October 31st, 2013, 12:48 PM
When my hair was at waist and I didn't have the hair care knowledge to know better, I attempted to do high ponies all the time. I always tried to sort of get the hair to "ride up" at the top befr coming down but could never get it. Now that my hair's between shoulder and ap I still don't think it would work if I tried because of my hair type. As was said, buns and braids are better

niky45
October 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
If it's very healthy, you'll have problems for the elastic to not slide...

Other than that, I have never gotten past a few inches past BSL, but never found any other problem.

Recently I have seen a girl with what looks waist length in a ponytail... (once up it falls past BSL, so shall she let it down, I think it would be waist). Not sure of how healthy her hair is, though. I don't really think she babies it that much. It's WAY easier to hold a ponytail with kinda damaged hair.... (but you don't want to damage it just so you can have a ponytail, do you?)

divide the pony in 2 sections. Loosely braid one section and wind it around the ponytail base and pin with hairpins (not bobby pins
I like that idea for when my hair grows again... I LOVE ponytails, and this one seems gentler on my hair.
Now, I just have to let my hair grow. :rolleyes:

PS: Yes, my English could be better. I'm still learning.

Chamomile betty
October 31st, 2013, 02:29 PM
I have a difficult time with pony tails. Usually it's the style that tangles my hair the most. I have thick heavy hair and my pony always falls. Sorry I can't help.

Eichan
October 31st, 2013, 04:45 PM
I can do a ponytail still (my hair is not THAT long, though), but I had to forgo my claw clips because my hair is so heavy now ._. My pony circumference is about 4 2/5 inches. So I have clip issues anyway.

lapushka
October 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM
My hair is between mid-back and waist; not super long but heavy enough that along with it's silkiness I can't keep a ponytail UP. In no time at all it is saggy at the bottom. Is it even possible with hair as long as ours to maintain a decently elevated ponytail?

I'm a iii, so a high ponytail without it sagging during the day - impossible. My hair's layered now so that might make things a little easier, but still... I'd need two thicker hairbands to keep the ponytail in position. So no, for me high ponytails at this length (past waist) are definitely out.

jeanniet
October 31st, 2013, 05:23 PM
The only way I could get a high ponytail to hold for any length of time would be to tie it off really, really tightly using a ponytail elastic, and since I don't use elastics and don't tie tightly... But even then I don't think it would stay for longer than 30 minutes, if that.

Shoga
October 31st, 2013, 07:16 PM
Once my hair reached TB it doesn't really stay in a pony tail for very long and that's with using those really thick elastics. If I have my pony draped over my shoulder, it'll slowly gravitate to a side pony lol. I don't often bother with them anymore and it's more damaging anyway.

CurlyCap
October 31st, 2013, 07:44 PM
I stick my pony right on top of my head like I Dream of Jeannie. It's super comfortable and the only way to hold the weight.

But my hair is curly and so pulling the hair through the scrunchie is enough to keep things in place.

It can also look a bit insane.

Good for cleaning though!

tiny squirrel
October 31st, 2013, 07:56 PM
I rarely pony, but for when I do I found Torrin's technique makes a HUGE difference. I use the EXTRA THICK Goody ouchless elastic bands (http://www.soap.com/p/goody-ouchless-extra-thick-elastics-brown-36518) and pony it up the way Torrin does in this video. Pony instructions start around 2:45

http://youtu.be/fmTL4cvr7q0

Edit: The Extra thick bands are important because even with the Torrin technique the thin bands don't hold the weight of my hair.

TrapperCreekD
October 31st, 2013, 08:02 PM
I've never really had this happen, despite being waist length with a 4" circumference - I do have taper through. Even before I cut in some layers, my hair was never really heavy. :shrug: My ponytail might slip a little, but probably not more than half an inch.

Jennah
October 31st, 2013, 09:12 PM
problems with ponys: possible damage from breakage/friction, not to mention mechanical damage from dealing with tangles

Thanks for this! Iīve just started my growth journey and since the hair is chin/shoulder I donīt know what to do with it! So Iīve been keeping it in a pony (especially for the gym), but always felt that I could be damaging it.

Madora
October 31st, 2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks for this! Iīve just started my growth journey and since the hair is chin/shoulder I donīt know what to do with it! So Iīve been keeping it in a pony (especially for the gym), but always felt that I could be damaging it.

Jennah, you might also consider using a soft scrunchie to hold back your hair (not a ponytail holder)..but for your hair's sake, try and leave a little bit of "wiggle room" between your scalp and where the scrunchie holds the hair. Ideally, you should be able to insert a finger between the scrunchie and your scalp.

Also, if a scrunchie is too problematic, then perhaps an all in one barrette might help keep your hair confined. The all in one type of barrette (I think Goody still makes them) has no hinges and thus can't pinch/catch hair strands. Good luck!

BlueMuse
October 31st, 2013, 11:56 PM
I can do a high pony with my hair and it's nearly knee. But I will say that it's not particularly thick or fine (it's more middling in both regards). I use the very thick goody ouchless bands. I do usually end up redoing it a couple of times a day though. I don't wear ponytails very often (more braids and buns, though I still use elastics). I haven't noticed much damage from them though I'm pretty careful putting them in and won't just pull them out. I unwind them carefully so they drag on the hair as little as possible.

Ambystoma
October 31st, 2013, 11:58 PM
I managed to get one to stay quite nicely (admittedly it was only for a few hours) as a special occasion style by dividing the hair into 2 sections, a top and a bottom, doing a pony with the bottom half, then arranging the top hair into a pony on top of the existing one, and then wrapping a strand around the base to hide the elastics, it was a bit of a pain to do and not super hair friendly, but it did look very pretty.

Jennah
November 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
Jennah, you might also consider using a soft scrunchie...try and leave a little bit of "wiggle room" between your scalp and where the scrunchie holds the hair. Ideally, you should be able to insert a finger

I never thought of that! Thanks. I do use a scruchy without metals, as I read about here, but the loose hold I didnīt know. :)

misspurdy06
November 1st, 2013, 07:16 PM
My hair is TBL and thick. Pony's at all are a thing of the past for me. The only level I can maintain a pony is at the nape of my neck and the snarls I get are the stuff of fairytale monsters!

Any higher the headaches are equal to that of the snarls.

DarleneH
November 2nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
I couldn't find any Goody ponytail holders that said "extra thick" on the pack. Is it on the pack or do I just compare them to others on the rack at Wal-mart? I did get some stretchy headbands that I'll try as holders. Thanks, guys!

Quixii
November 2nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with ponytails? I tend to avoid them because of potential damage, but when I do do them, they stay just fine.

DarleneH
November 2nd, 2013, 06:42 PM
If your hair is coarser or curlier than mine, then the holders can't slide as easily as they do in my slick hair.

ravenreed
November 3rd, 2013, 12:00 AM
I wear a high pony from time to time. I have to wrap the elastic fairly tightly to keep it from sliding down.

mamaherrera
November 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
I do them with no problem as well. I give them three good wraps and they're good to go. My problem is my hair is so used to a center part, that my hair hurts when I force it to go back.

MeowScat
November 3rd, 2013, 04:57 AM
The high-ponytail is a pain in the... scalp. I've even tried it on top of my head and it still slips down, pulls and hurts. It is a very rare and short-term style for me. I can't wear it all day long, like a bun. I wish it was a protective style that lasted hours and hours. No such luck. Fooey!

KellieMai
November 3rd, 2013, 05:44 AM
I know some people use hook elastics along with regular hair ties which helps them but I find it makes the ponytail really tight. My hair is ii, close to hip length with a few layers still left and I can't make a high pony last more than a few hour without sagging, by that might be because I don't wear it as tight as I can because I makes my scalp hurt

BlazingHeart
November 3rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
High ponies were not possible for me at any length. My hair is just too heavy and slick. And I tried for years! The best I could do would stay up for no more than 30 mins.

ShieldMayden
November 3rd, 2013, 01:11 PM
I can do a few hours but that's it, otherwise the headaches from hell show up and I just want to cry. But if I tie it low it usually becomes a tangled mess. There is no winning, I think ponytails were made for people with more modern-day "conventional" haircuts (where APL hair is considered long!) and the like. *sighs*

If I want some hanging hair, I'll do an updo that has some of it hanging down.

DarleneH
November 6th, 2013, 06:16 AM
I'm tinkering now with trying a low ponytail, twist it and bring the length of it straight up, then put a jaw clip at the point where I'd normally have a ponytail elastic. So it sort of looks like a French twist below the clip, and a tail poking out the top and hanging down. The thing is because it's twisted when it's coming out the clip at the top, the tail is flipping around weirdly as it tries to come untwisted. It's listing to one side in the direction of the twist unraveling instead of hanging straight down. I've got plenty enough hair to still have a hefty tail, but this looks wonky. On top of that I'm trying the NW/SO method again so instead of fluffy hair mine is straighter and.... not so fluffy. Maybe I just need to get used to that look.

Oh, and add on to this the extra weight of that clip. I may not be cut out for super long hair after all.

schnibbles
November 6th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I managed to get one to stay quite nicely (admittedly it was only for a few hours) as a special occasion style by dividing the hair into 2 sections, a top and a bottom, doing a pony with the bottom half, then arranging the top hair into a pony on top of the existing one, and then wrapping a strand around the base to hide the elastics, it was a bit of a pain to do and not super hair friendly, but it did look very pretty.

This is what I was going to suggest. I saw it on Pinterest. She had like, 2 or 3 separate ponytails in a row, the top one (closest to the crown) hides the other(s) underneath. It makes the pony look super full too. I was thinking of trying it...my ponytail measures 4" around. Ponytails last about 3 minutes for me.
Here, I found the pin:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/236016836695684221/

Unicorn
November 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM
This is what I was going to suggest. I saw it on Pinterest. She had like, 2 or 3 separate ponytails in a row, the top one (closest to the crown) hides the other(s) underneath. It makes the pony look super full too. I was thinking of trying it...my ponytail measures 4" around. Ponytails last about 3 minutes for me.
Here, I found the pin:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/236016836695684221/

Hmmm.... What great idea! Wearing a high ponytail is really not very practicall for my locs, it feels as if the locs are yanking the hairs out of my temple and the front of my hair in general. I'll definately have to try this. Thank you for posting this.

Unicorn

lunalocks
November 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I have hip hair and stopped doing ponys due to pony damage with a scrunchie! from retightening. I may do one once or twice a year, but that's it. The damage caused years of split ends and breakage. I finally have that under control.

Foxylocks
November 6th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I agree with you on the too slippery part. My hair is just about hip length and falls right out of any ponytail, even when I pull the scrunchie as tight as I can. I also cannot wear ponytails for another reason: My scalp is extremely sensitive to pulling so ponytails is painful (same for buns). I always just wear a braid. So comfortable.

tiny squirrel
November 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I couldn't find any Goody ponytail holders that said "extra thick" on the pack. Is it on the pack or do I just compare them to others on the rack at Wal-mart? I did get some stretchy headbands that I'll try as holders. Thanks, guys!

I do think that the ponytail holders say "extra thick" but I don't remember for sure. It's been a while since I bought any and I always toss the cardboard package right away. If it helps, I think I generally find the ones I'm looking for at Target or Walgreens.

faellen
November 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I don't wear high ponytails much because I find that my follicles end up hurting after being forced to lay in a position they don't usually lay in. However, the last time I wore one, I got LOADS of compliments on my hair, much more than I usually get when I wear protective styles! So there's one benefit to the high ponytail for me :p

wildkratt
November 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
My scalp sometimes hurts as well after having a ponytail all day (but this happens to me regardless because I like to do my everyday buns tight too lol). Use a srunchie; I use a cloth-covered elastic, maybe two, to keep my pony tight.

I think that if sagging is an issue for you, just tilt your chin upward when gathering all the hair together. This works every time for me and doesn't let my hair get loose at the nape or sides.

DarleneH
January 4th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I've given up on the ponytail, but here is a related question: if I make a high pony flip, with just some of the sides pulled back in a mini-ponytail and letting the rest of the hair hang loose, is there something I can do to keep the much smaller flipped pony from sagging? Over the day it does, even though that's a lot smaller amount of hair. Maybe a couple of bobby pins underneath?

DarleneH
February 8th, 2014, 06:00 AM
In this video, she holds a ponytail up with spin pins instead of an elastic. Don't know if it would work with longer hair but it might be worth experimenting with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcIpjmBDwgk

walterSCAN
February 8th, 2014, 08:18 AM
My fine hair has never allowed me to do a high pony for more than an hour, even way-back-when when it was still at APL. :shrug: I haven't tried in years because it was painful (had to put the elastic in TIGHT to get it to stay at all and single hairs ended up pulled all over the place), fell down so quickly, and isn't really my style anyway. Plus, the constant re-doing was damaging and I don't want that.