PDA

View Full Version : Has coconut oil helped with your breakage or new growth?

lole18
October 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
How long did it take you to see results? How often do you apply it? Do you apply it on the scalp as well or just the hair? And how long do you leave it on? I also want to add that i have EXTREMELY fine and LOW porosity hair so how can i help my hair to absorb it? Is putting a haircap with it enough?

Firefox7275
October 30th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I have porous colour treated hair, I can see a difference in the behaviour of my hair from one coconut oil treatment. I couldn't tell you for sure how much it helped with reduced breakage since I had already made other changes to my haircare habits. Not aware of evidence any specific oil aids in growth, massage may however.

I do overnight to twenty four hour oilings on dry hair as per the published research. Pretty much as and when, I don't have the most structured routine, I prefer not to oil over the top of styling products so it partly depends when I do conditioner only styling. I try hard to do two coconut oil treatments the week before I dye my roots. I don't oil the scalp, the skin does not need the lauric acid found in coconut oil and my scalp isn't being stripped and damaged now I don't shampoo (conditioner only wash).

I can't honestly see why you would want to use cocount oil on low porosity hair, the point is to reduce porosity and increase elasticity! For fine hair I'd recommend hydrolysed protein to boost strength and give volume/ body, either in the form of a wash out or leave in conditioner or a deep treatment.

Allychan
October 30th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Like Firefox, my results were good from the very start and it just got better from there. It feels crappy on my hair type but I swing between heavy and light oilings every night before bed. I braid it, then sleep on it and either wash or condition out the next morning. I have had to regularly cut out major damage, but the condition of my hair now is sooooo different from what I had when I started. See pic in sigi

My hair is really fine too, hence the overnight oilings. An Indian DR friend told me to heat the oil 'til it is warm and wrap it in a hot towel to improve it's penetration

seamonster
October 31st, 2013, 01:06 AM
I love to use coconut oil, it keeps my ends looking healthy as I stretch my trims. Going to try heating it and wrapping with a towel for deeper penetration

hairaddiction
October 31st, 2013, 02:09 AM
I can't speak for low porosity hair, but I use a mixture of pills that includes coconut and have had really stellar results. I only use it on my ends. I use lighter oils on my scalp when it gets dry but that doesn't happen too often, even in winter. You could always give it a try and see how your hair responds, though I think you were given better advice above than mine. I'm still learning!

ETA: Sorry for a double post but I can't edit. I meant oils, not pills!

Kwantslonghair
October 31st, 2013, 04:02 AM
I can't use coconut oil. It dries out my hair. I use olive oil and argon oil

freesia
October 31st, 2013, 06:33 AM
For about a month now I've been using coconut oil as a leave in, applying it every morning on my length. My ends loved it from the start :)
Also I have noticed that if I apply it overnight wearing my hair braided or in a sock bun, the resulting waves seem to have a better hold the next day.

I don't use it on the scalp, a mix of olive oil/castor oil works better for me (as a pre-wash treatment)

sarahthegemini
October 31st, 2013, 07:08 AM
Coconut oil isn't ging to increase hair growth. The main purpose of coconut oil is to reduce porosity - which is why high porous types like it. Why would you want that on already low porosity hair?

Komao
October 31st, 2013, 09:12 AM
Sorry for a double post but I can't edit. I meant oils, not pills!

Funny:D I thought there was a new product out that I wasn't aware of! I do this all the time, at least it gives us all a laugh.
I use just a little coconut oil every night on length of hair and concentrate it mostly on ends. My hair loves it.
I will use more the night before washing hair. I put some on scalp, then.
It helps me with growth as I don't have to trim as often as ends stay in good shape much longer than without coconut oil.

bunzfan
October 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM
I've noticed since i started using it regularly my hair doesn't take 6+ hours to dry like it used to, takes about 2-3 now so that's a big improvement and my ends just look better i've been putting a small amount on daily at bedtime or before i do my updo in the morning.

lunalocks
October 31st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Makes my ends feel crunchy. i don;t use it. I use a variety of oils on the ends including baby oil, argan, neem, calendula.

Long_hair_bear
October 31st, 2013, 09:34 AM
Coconut oil doesn't repair already damaged hair, but it does help keep healthy hair from breaking, or at least it does mine. I use mine once a week, and put it in 8 hrs before shampooing, just on my length. When I last saw my hairdresser, she was flabbergasted that I didn't need a trim for over 8 months! She asked me what my secret was and I uttered two words, "coconut oil."

oatmealpie
October 31st, 2013, 09:48 AM
Coconut oil isn't ging to increase hair growth. The main purpose of coconut oil is to reduce porosity - which is why high porous types like it. Why would you want that on already low porosity hair?

sarahthegemini, how can you tell if your hair has high or low porosity?

sarahthegemini
October 31st, 2013, 09:59 AM
sarahthegemini, how can you tell if your hair has high or low porosity?

I *think* if your hair gets saturated with water very quickly and dries fast, then it's likely it's high. If your hair takes a while to get really wet and takes a while to dry, then it's likely to be low. High porosity hair also usually does well with protein - mine loves protein although I'm fine haired too which can factor into whether or not hair likes protein. If hair is chemically or heat damaged, then it is likely to be high prorosity too. There are other factors I'm sure but those are the ones I know.

Delphi
October 31st, 2013, 10:19 AM
I have extremely low porosity East Asian hair too. I found out I can't use coconut oil when the hair is wet. It's a disaster. The hair will stay wet until I wash it next time. It's sort of magical actually. Once I waited 3 whole days and the hair was still wet. I have to wait until the hair is 100% dry before I put on the coconut oil, and only on the portion lower than my ears. I first make my hands oily with the oil then I run my hands through my hair, to ensure the hair's not overcoated with oil and greasy.

It also works for two friends of mine who also have East Asian low porosity hair. I asked them how they do it and they also said to not put the oil in when your hair is wet because that is bad bad bad bad bad~~

Delphi
October 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM

It helps low porosity hair stay soft too and low porosity hair often appears dry because it's hard to get moisture into the hair, so the coconut oil will give hair the appearance of having moisture.

duchess67
October 31st, 2013, 10:36 AM
There is a thread here on LHC how to use essential oils to help with new growth. It is on the archived forums page. I read through the whole thread, found it very helpful. I have started using it and see lots of small hair sprouting, esp noticeable in the parting area. I am really enjoying the way it smells and how my hair feels after using it. It was very generous of them to share their success here. Good Luck to all of us!