PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your hair in the shower?

Periwinkle
September 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
What do you do with your hair in the shower when you're not washing it? Showercap? Bun? Sticks? Slides?

I do a lazy-wrap-bun-esque-thing with an elastic. I hold my hair in a ponytail and put the elastic over once. Then I loop the tail round and round the base, then finally put the elastic over the whole bun. It looks pretty terrible, but it's even faster than a ponytail and it gets my hair out of the way. Sometimes I wear a showercap to keep my hair dry, sometimes I don't.

AJoifulNoise
September 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I usually either leave it in braids (if I slept in them) or twist it into a quick bee butt bun and then slip a showercap over it.

Gumball
September 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
If I'm not washing it then I keep it in the braid I wore overnight and then bring it up and use a giant claw clip to hold it to my head. Nothing will get in the way of my drooling as hot water hits my neck and upper back!

midnighttrain
September 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Usually just a quick bun for me.

Chromis
September 5th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I put it up and cover it with a shower cap. My shower cap hangs from a little hook right next to the tub.

camara
September 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Iīm using three claw clips of varying sizes...unfortunately, I broke the smallest, so now two will have to do until I stock up on claw clips. The 'style' is a kind of twisted crown. I start twisting all of my hair at the nape and wrap the resulting hair sausage (...twist? roll?) around my head.

LeaM07
September 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM
If I'm not washing my hair, I'll have it in a bee butt secured with a scrunchie. If I'm washing it, I'll put it in an unsecured bee butt after I finish washing/conditioning. It won't hold for long, but it gets me by long enough to finish my shower and dry off.

Denebi
September 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I don't like shower caps, so I usually use a claw clip or a scrunchie, or both.

That reminds me... My hair at the hair line gets a bit wet this way. I was wondering if is makes any difference if it gets wet more often than the rest of the hair...

Any opinions?

Tabitha
September 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
If I'm showering alone (the vast majority of the time) it's a hotel plastic showercap. If I have company, I just bun it with a metal fork and try to avoid the water-spray.

cindy58
September 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I just put it up in a high bun with a hairstick, no shower cap. If the edges get a little wet, that's ok.

JessTheMess
September 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I bun it, and wrap it in a plastic bag. DF makes fun of me all the time :( but it works

ktani
September 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I just pin my hair up as usual, with a single roller pin (in a cross between a French twist and a bun) and adjust the shower head, so that it does not spray my hair.

kunibob
September 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Braids and plastic bag or bun and plastic bag, though I should really get a shower cap. (I do reuse the bag afterwards, though!)

jel
September 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
If I'm not washing it then I keep it in the braid I wore overnight and then bring it up and use a giant claw clip to hold it to my head.

Me too! :D I have to fold/wrap the braid a bit, but not in a remotely stylish way - too sleepy for anything like that! I keep the clip attached to a hook in the shower at all times.

I use the same claw clip when I wash my hair too - to put up hair covered in conditioner until I've finished my other showerly duties and it's time to rinse.

I never use a shower cap, just keep my head out of the shower stream - not that hard as I'm tall.

SHELIAANN1969
September 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I most usually 99 percent of the time wet my hair when I shower, out of that, I use conditioner about 90 percent of the time and shampoo/condition maybe 10 percent of the time.

The very rare time I don't get ot wet, is only because I have showered once that day and need a rinse off, I have to put it up with a stick or a fork or else it gets wet anyways.

Darkhorse1
September 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
scrunchie bun, jaws clip...whatever I can grab. I hate,hate, hate shower caps. They just...ugggh. Make me claustraphobic!

ssjhotau2
September 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I just twist it and clip it on top of my head.

Islandgrrl
September 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I put it up in a bun with either some plastic chopsticks or a big plastic claw clip.

Shanarana
September 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I use a jaw clip.

Arctic_Mama
September 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Right now it's just back in a ponytail with a headband, when it gets longer I use showercaps :)

Oh yea, and occasionally I WASH it in the shower :grin:

CaityBear
September 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
If I don't want it to get wet, I'll bun it and put a shower cap on. But for the most part I used to just let it get wet. I'm only starting to try to wash my hair less often. I CO so I'm not afraid of it getting too harsh, I just less conditioner this way. lol

Jemoiselle
September 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I usually keep it in the style it was in that day, usually a bun of some sort. Is that lazy of me? Maybe. But unless I am using my beloved hair stick *thanks Nightshade* I leave things as they are. I don't use any hold products, so residue doesn't seem to be a problem. By the end of the day (when I always take my showers so my hair can dry overnight some) I am so exhausted almost anything goes! ;) I've got a 9 months old boy who has more energy than the Bunny by the same name.

Teacherbear
September 5th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I Ficcare it! :)

I also have a jumbo jaw clip in the shower just in case I change my mind at the last minute about washing/not washing.

Tressie
September 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Lately it's already up in some sort of do, so I just wrap an old thin beach towel around it like a turban!

Gladtobemom
September 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I do a cinnamon bun right on the top of my head for a bath or shower. I usually hold it in place with a pair of Ketylo Aquapearl Hairsticks these days.

If the back is saggy, I use a plastic Fakare to sort of hold up the stragglers.

Then I put on a shower cap for the showerl

Mitzy
September 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I always wash in the shower unless I am doing MM, then I do mermaid washes in the tub. I usually wet my hair even if I don't wash it. If I put my hair up wet, it stays like it was set in concrete as opposed to putting it in an updo from dry. I hope that changes as it gets longer.
On the rare occasion I shower and do not want my hair wet, I put it up in a turbie towel. I have a hand held head for my shower and sometimes I take that down and use it, but often I don't.

sexyjacksparrow
September 6th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I use a claw clip - my hair's not that long. I also use it to keep my hair up out the way whilst my conditioner soaks in (whilst I do the rest of my shower stuff).

Kimberly
September 6th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I put it in a figure-8 held with a Starlite fork.

Cinnamon.locks
September 6th, 2008, 02:19 AM
If i am not washing my hair i keep it either in the braid i slept in or bun it on top of my head and cover with shower cap.

KatKeRo
September 6th, 2008, 02:19 AM
A logroll with a plastic clip or a bun with an aquapearl ketylo.
I don't use a showercap.

Finoriel
September 6th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I leave it in whatever bun it already was and adjust the shower head to be on shoulder-height. There is not much spray water, so my nape hair gets barely damp.
I tried the shower cap thingy once, but I just cant stand the noise the water makes when it crackles on the plastic. Itīs too loud and annoying and makes a shower less than relaxing for me.

crystal_89
September 6th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I use some sort of lazy bun or a claw clip

Xandergrammy
September 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I have 2 fakkares that I use to clip it up.

MusingFrog
September 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM
If my hair still looks nice, I'll do an inside-out bun with a shower cap over that. If my hair is starting to look oily, I won't bother with the shower cap and will just do the bun.

inertia
September 6th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I throw it in a quick bun, secure with a fork, and cover with shower cap.

EdG
September 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I fold up my hair and hold it over my head in the shower. I can wash around my scalp while the length of my hair remains dry. :)
Ed

Patrycja
September 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I *love* my detachable shower head so really all I have to do with my hair is put it up in a cinnabun with a elastic around the base. I then use my shower detached so I know it won't get my hair wet.

longhairedfairy
September 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I tie it in a bun with a scrunchie. I don't use a shower cap because it makes my head feel sweaty.

LadyLongLocks
September 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Jaw clip it up into a bun. I don't use a shower cap, I let the hair have some moisture from the steam. If it gets a little wet I really don't mind.

dor3girl
September 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I let it hang there & get wet. Maybe I am a nerd--but hair grows faster when it's wet than when it's dry--so any opportunity for wet hair is taken!:D

Tangles
September 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Putting it in a bun while I shower = frizz, frizz, frizz! I really should be using my showercap more often.

Tangles
September 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I let it hang there & get wet. Maybe I am a nerd--but hair grows faster when it's wet than when it's dry--so any opportunity for wet hair is taken!:D

Is this really true?!?! If so, maybe it's a good thing that I wash every other day.

Kayleena
September 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi to all! :) When I'm not planning to wash my hair, I tie it in a ponytail or braid & then claw clip it up, or I do a rope braid bun {the only updo I know how to do} with hair ties & hair pins. I don't use a shower cap because it usually ruins my bangs/fringe and any styling I did on the top of my head, and that is harder for me to restyle. If the length gets slightly wet, I can often reshape it by scrunching or braiding and it will look okay. If I'm really determined to keep it dry, I try to be really careful of where the water hits me; I'm used to that anyway, because if water on my face gets in my eyes, they get extremely bothered. Good day to all! :bluesmile

GoldenRed
September 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
If not washing or rinsing, I just twist it up into a knot on the top of my head, usually. Sometimes it falls out though. :(

sapphire-o
September 7th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I can't be the only person who use a giant octopus (spider) clip to put it up, right? :D Right now I'm using a huge pink one with glitter. I'll never wear those clips out, but in the shower it really doesn't matter how gaudy they are.

Intemporelle
September 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I do a kind of bun too over my head. It is not beautiful, but I don't want my hair to be wet every days...

Finoriel
September 7th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Is this really true?!?! If so, maybe it's a good thing that I wash every other day.

:wink: No itīs not. Itīs a running gag, like saying: Children grow taller and faster when they often play in the rain.
But then :gabigrin: who can prove it not being true.

LilyMunster
September 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I use a claw clip in the shower. Unless it's getting a wash.

Eden Iris
September 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Octopus clip!

berr
September 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Shower cap. I use the shower cap to condition after washing as well. I squeeze the water out of my hair, work conditioner through the length, put it up in the shower cap so I can finish my shower without the length getting in the way.

Gecko
September 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I put it in a bun, held with whatever, and then a showercap over that. Sometimes when I take a bath I don't wear the showercap....

florenonite
September 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I just put it in a sort of turd bun high on my head. Essentially, I make a ponytail but don't pull the tail all the way through either time I wrap the elastic around (I only wrap it twice).

pariate
September 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Pin it up in a quick non-style and wear a towel wrapped like a turban. I hate shower caps - I always get damp in there somehow and my hair either frizzes or just looks sticky. It looks fine when it's dry again, but too much of a hassle.

Anje
September 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Normally, I just wrap it into some nautilus or bee butt-ish bun and secure with a Wavelength pin. Occasionally, I'll throw a shower cap over the whole assembly (if I particularly don't want it wet or am traveling and using a shower where water comes down vertically instead of diagonally).

The shower cap is usually reserved for when my hair's full of conditioner, though. Keeps it from getting rinsed out or the ends from falling into soap suds while I've got condish soaking in.

Angellen
September 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I put it in a bun (usually with a hairstick of some kind) and then a showercap over that. Sometimes I'll go without, but usually I want to avoid getting soap around the edges...

danacc
September 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Most often, I put my hair up in a quick hairstick-wrapped bun with a dymondwood Ketylo if I'm taking a shower and its not a hair wash day. Occasionally I'll use a clip. My hairline gets wet, but that's ok with me.

soprano
September 12th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I braid it for the night, pull the braid up over my head, fold it in half (so now the fold is at my forehead and the tail is hanging back over my crown) and clip it in place with a Ficcare.

I hate showercaps. The crinkling sound and the way they feel as the edges scrape when I move just makes my skin crawl.

LydiaMarie
September 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Most of the time I put it up in a really sloppy bun right on top of my head or if I wore braids then I just leave them .

venividibxtchy
December 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think I am the first to mention these, but...I use a Turbie towel. My hair is a bit too long for them normally (I admittedly still manage), but most of the time for a hair-cleaning-free shower, I'll either leave my braid in from the night before, or put it in a quick bun with a few metal-free elastics, then do the whole turbie thang.

If just the first few inches need a wash in-between my full-head washes, then I'll do the method mentioned in the article on LHC for scalp-only washes.

If I am in a major bind, and I need to go somewhere in <5 minutes, I'll wash my hairline very carefully at the sink, using a tiny bit of soap/water, not letting it get fully soaped or soaked. Or maybe I'll use some water from my mister, and proceed to scrub the heck out of the region. That helps clean things up a bit until I get home, and can do it properly.

Anje
December 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Oops... I already posted...

You can tell when I'm not paying attention.

Gwaihiril
December 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Cinnabun with a Ficcare, because it's quick and easy and takes no thought, even if I'm showering in the morning and am half-asleep when putting my hair up. If my hair was braided, I'll usually just do a braided bun with a Ficcare.

Autumn
December 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM
I put my hair in a bun (usually it's already in one because I keep it up all the time) and put a shower cap over it.

Isilme
December 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I twist it up in my favourite style the figure eight. For a special ocassion I either take the time to fully wash my hair and let it dry or I just leave it and comb it really carefully, put it in a bun or a tight french braid, take a few strokes with my bbb and hope noone will notice;)

squiggyflop
December 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM
not washing it? hmm well i dont wash my body everyday in the winter and my hair is extremely greasy on third day after washing so i always wash it whenever i wash my body.. once right after a bath i had my hair in curlers and was walking my dog around the backyard when i slipped and fell in mud.. i got mud all over my body but my hair was still nice and clean.... i kept my curlered hair dry with a shower cap as i washed the mud off the rest of me..

blue_nant
December 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
If I don't want it to get wet, I'll bun it and put a shower cap on. But for the most part I used to just let it get wet. I'm only starting to try to wash my hair less often. I CO so I'm not afraid of it getting too harsh, I just less conditioner this way. lol

I just bun and don't worry about a little wetness. But usually I'm there to wash the hair, anyhoo.

I condish the bottom half and hang it over one shoulder, then wash the top 1/3 or 1/2. then rinse all of it and be done.

... What is this new guy: :rant: oh, rantman! okay ...

Dreamernz
December 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
A quick and secure bun for me, but I wonder if this will become more difficult as my hair gets longer again......:D

Ryanne
December 22nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
A bun, and a braided bun when it's already in braids.

AutumnSky
December 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
high bun with a hairstick, and try to keep soap/cornmeal/spray/etc out of it.

Manako
December 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
I put it in a ponytail, and leave it looped at the top--don't know if that has a quirky name yet. When it was longer I would use a shower cap, but I don't think I will in the future.

If my hair is frizzy I often find that the solution is to spritz it with water, so the curls form better; because of this I would rather my hair get a bit damp to improve how it acts when dry.

harley mama
December 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
I keep one of those knitting needle u shaped pins in the shower and just do a quick bun if I am not washing my hair. I don't mind getting a little moisture around the hairline since it helps revive the curls.

RetroKitten
January 22nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
If I shower without washing my hair or using a shower cap I need to be really quick. The steam makes my hair greasy!

dearladydisdain
January 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
If I'm not washing it I bun it with an elastic and put a showercap over it.

Goddessey
January 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
9 times out of 10, I use a shower cap. However, on the days that I forget, I just towel dry my hair afterwards. It's never the end of the world.

Moldilocks
January 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
I do a quick bun with a hair tie, however, I always run my bun under the shower head (quickly) a few times for nice waves later in the day.

Johanna
January 23rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
I just lean my head out of the shower when I dont wash my hair, I wash it about every three days. I normally just wash my face in the bathroom sink.
I don't like having shower caps on my head. They make my head feel too hot and dizzy.

Charli800
January 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
I just lean my head out of the shower when I dont wash my hair, I wash it about every three days. I normally just wash my face in the bathroom sink.

Me too - I do bun my hair with an elastic to keep the length out of the way, though.

CeliahAnn
January 23rd, 2009, 04:06 AM
I only shower when I need to wash my hair, other than that I always bath. On occasion when I really feel like showering I also make my hair into a bun and then just make sure I don't get water on it.