PDA

View Full Version : If I dye my hair darker using semi perm. dye, will it ruin my natural highlights?

bythesea
October 29th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hi y'all! So, the title basically explains my question. I've been itching to dye my hair a couple shades darker, like a level 2 or 3 brown. But I don't want it to be permanent and I don't want a ton of damage. Will semi permanent dye ruin my natural highlights? I know that at first it will make them darker, but as the dye fades, do you think it will fade from those areas too?

Thanks!

Callifornia
October 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM
It depends how light your hair is now and how damaged/porous your ends are. Semi-permanent hair can stain extra light hair permanently, especially if its also damaged.

My ends are always a very light blonde and I have natural highlights, I did a semipermanent dye on some of the tips for fun a few years ago while i was in cosmetology school. The kind I used is only supposed to last a week, it took two months to disappear from my hair. After a month I started using a clarifying shampoo on the ends but it still took a while to fade. The dye didn't do much damage, but having to shampoo that much did.

It did take longer to fade from the lightest sections, bu it did eventually all go away. That being said I used a royal blue and teal color, not an especially dark tone. A darker color would take longer to fade.

If your not in a hurry and still want to try it why not try a few strands in an unnoticeable area and test it. Then you can see how long it would take to fade from your hair before you chance it on all your hair.

bythesea
October 29th, 2013, 09:08 PM
It depends how light your hair is now and how damaged/porous your ends are. Semi-permanent hair can stain extra light hair permanently, especially if its also damaged.

My ends are always a very light blonde and I have natural highlights, I did a semipermanent dye on some of the tips for fun a few years ago while i was in cosmetology school. The kind I used is only supposed to last a week, it took two months to disappear from my hair. After a month I started using a clarifying shampoo on the ends but it still took a while to fade. The dye didn't do much damage, but having to shampoo that much did.

It did take longer to fade from the lightest sections, bu it did eventually all go away. That being said I used a royal blue and teal color, not an especially dark tone. A darker color would take longer to fade.

If your not in a hurry and still want to try it why not try a few strands in an unnoticeable area and test it. Then you can see how long it would take to fade from your hair before you chance it on all your hair.

Thank you!

My hair is virgin hair, and it's not shown very well in my profile picture (weird lighting), but it's probably around a level 6 Neutral-Ash Light Brown, but the natural highlights around my crown are probably level 8 at the lightest. It's enough to where you can see a difference.

My unprofessional opinion, lol, is that my hair isn't very porous and has minimal damage.

Do you have any idea what a dark or medium-dark brown semi-perm dye would do? I'm ok if it takes awhile to fade, I'd just like it to definitely fade out and for the highlights to come back.

cathair
October 29th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Some semi-permanent dye, usually the ones that last 20 or so washes instead of 4 - 8, have peroxide and or ammonia in them. My mum was using semi-permanent dye and when she stopped her hair had gone from light brown and grey to nearly orange. Might be worth checking the ingredients of whatever you get.

BlazingHeart
October 29th, 2013, 11:05 PM
It really depends on how your hair takes the dye, which unfortunately is pretty hard to predict. All of the indicators say that my hair has low porosity - it isn't affected much by different treatments, and it takes FOREVER to get it wet, and once it's wet, it takes FOREVER to get it dry. However, my hair seems to really cling to deposit-only dyes. I've only used relatively gentle dyes; one did have a mild developer. Anyhow, every time I've dyed my hair, it has lasted much longer than it was supposed to. The demi-permanent that was supposed to last 24 washes? It never completely came out. Most people stopped being able to see it after about 6 months of daily washing; I could easily see the demarcation line for over a year, and if I looked for it I could see it until I cut my hair short two years later. The shorter-term dyes tended to last me about 3-5 times as many washes as they were supposed to. This is one of those things you can only learn by experience, though. I just always feel like I should say something, because there is that risk that your hair might be like mine and might never totally return to normal. Most people eventually get back to their normal colors if they use deposit only dyes, but I fall into that minority that never does.

Callifornia
October 30th, 2013, 08:19 AM
No problem!

Okay, honestly no one can tell you if it will for sure come out of your hair all the way. No ones hair is the same, yours might stain. It sounds, from the condition of your hair, that all the dye will come out. But, you cannot know for sure unless you test it. Since you sound like you really like the color of your natural hair I would definitely not do a whole head application until you test it. There is no way to know for sure it will come out unless you do.

If you decide you really want to try it take a couple SMALL sections from an area that won't be noticed if it does actually stain and not come out. (Normally the underside) try to get a darker strand and a natural highlight if possible. Tie the rest of your hair securely out of the way. Cover it with a thick conditioner and a layer of Saran Wrap - Leaving the test strands hanging out and dry. (The conditioner will help protect the rest of your hair just in case the dye runs while your testing) Apply the color on the strands according to directions and when it's time to rinse, rinse only those strands with cool water so the dye does not run on to the rest of your hair. After thoroughly rinsing the strands you can take down the rest of your hair and rinse the conditioner out. Let dry and your done.

How long it will take to fade depends on how often you wash and how strong of a cleansing shampoo you use.

Firefox7275
October 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Hi y'all! So, the title basically explains my question. I've been itching to dye my hair a couple shades darker, like a level 2 or 3 brown. But I don't want it to be permanent and I don't want a ton of damage. Will semi permanent dye ruin my natural highlights? I know that at first it will make them darker, but as the dye fades, do you think it will fade from those areas too?

Thanks!

Possibly, if those natural highlights are sun bleached and more porous than the rest of your hair. How it fades again depends on the porosity.