PDA

View Full Version : how long could I grow my F i fine hair

Agnes Hannah
October 29th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hi just a quick question, my hair is very baby fine, I have grown to just above BSL. I am wondering how long it may grow to?

leslissocool
October 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Look around the albums, I've seen gorgeous heads tailbone + of baby fine hair.

It's all genetics, diet and care. There are things you might not get away with doing because of your texture like streightening and heat/chemical treating, but overall any type of hair can often grow to long lengths with care :).

Shibe
October 29th, 2013, 11:34 AM
We have the same hair! Mine is currently 27 inches, only 2/3 inches away from waist :) I put my hair up in a caterpillar pony at night and my pillow is in silk.

I also use Monistat about 2 times a week on my scalp and use coconut oil on my ends. I also use only a wide tooth plastic comb and snip off any split ends I see.
After never ending split snipping for about 2 weeks, my hair looks transformed and I don't see as many splits as I used to.

I can't braid for crap, though. I'm still learning how to to a dutch braid!

hairaddiction
October 29th, 2013, 12:40 PM
You're hair will grow and grow until you hit your terminal length, which is different for everyone. Just keep a healthy diet, supplement as needed and take good care of it!

Madora
October 29th, 2013, 12:59 PM
It all depends on: your genes, your diet, how well you baby your hair...and how many years you're willing to go to achieve your final goal.

I can't emphasize enough that staying away from harmful things (blow frying, straightening, using hot curlers and harsh products) helps your hair in its journey.

Long hair is not a matter of tons of products, sprays, etc. Find the products that work for you and stick with them.

Be sure to always detangle your hair slowly with a wide tooth comb, starting at the ends and working up to the roots. Work in small sections when detangling. That way, you can isolate the tangle easily with your fingers instead of the comb.

Keep your hair implements clean. No use in using a dirty comb or brush on clean hair.

Comb your hair daily to remove loose hair...always detangle first before starting! Never do it in a hurry.

Always air dry. It is kinder to your hair.

Don't overload your hair with a lot of stuff! If you oil, do it sparingly so you don't have to spend more time than needed removing too much oil.

Protect it by wearing it up. Some members here protect their hair by wearing silk or satin caps..or by using silk/satin pillow slip covers.

Above all, be patient! Just give your hair small trims as needed and S and D once a month (with sharp scissors). You do not need a lot of stuff to have healthy, beautiful hair! Good luck and happy growing!

DweamGoiL
October 29th, 2013, 02:54 PM
My hair is not baby fine, but it is fine and I was able to grow mine to tailbone with lots of TLC:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/GM%20Jul%202003/th_GM071003after_me_n_monk_zps3c4557fb.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/dweamgoil/media/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/GM%20Jul%202003/GM071003after_me_n_monk_zps3c4557fb.jpg.html)

I do agree though that genetics do play a part in all this as well, but primarily care and diet are the things you can control so you need to make sure those are on point and your hair will respond positively.

Becky9679
October 29th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I'm a fine haired person (maybe not quite as fine as you describe!) and I'm past tailbone :)

As others have said, your terminal length will depend on genetics and the way you care for it to prevent damage and breakage whilst it's growing. Maybe the Thin/Fine Hair Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115) would be helpful for tips on how best to look after it?

Agnes Hannah
October 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I have been looking after my hair better now i've joined LHC, putting it up into a claw daily, combing it dry not wet etc. I have also started taking biotin, and this had the added benefit of being good for my diabetes, so watch my diet too. I havent thought about a caterpillar braid Shibe thanks for that I will try it as I can't braid very well either, it falls out!
I don't use straighteners, never have, and blow dry rarely now on the coolest gentlest setting. I oil the ends everyday though. I think Madora, you are right I just need to be patient, I've been growing now for about 2.5 years from an inverted shaved bob, so time is what I need to invest. I colour the roots only, as I've got some greys coming through, and Im going lighter so these can come through without being such a colour shock. Yesterday, I did a honey treatment, and the result was lovely. Some of the lighter hairs I have from the summer really showed up. This is a light brown dark ashy colour, and is lovely. My natural colour is mid brown and my ends are darker from dyeing, so these I don't touch, but drizzle in oil regularly. My last trim was in August at the hairdressers, and this time I am going to micro trim and S&D in December.
I hope this makes sense.
Thank you for your comments and support.

AmyBeth
October 29th, 2013, 04:25 PM
We shall see, Agnes, we seem to be hair twins! Mine is currently just barely past hip, with a fairly nice hemline growing just under 1/2 inch per month, and I trim about 1/4 inch every 3 months. I protect it pretty obsessively because I don't want to lose any growth to damage or breakage. I stopped going to the salon for chemical color in Feb 13, and have been using hendigo and I have to admit, it really strengthened and thickened my hair. I know I'm not near terminal yet. My hair is growing steadily and I really want to get to classic and I know I'll get there. I'd like to grow beyond that, so we'll see if my genetics will allow that. I don't worry about how fine my hair is, because as has been pointed out, there are too many spectacular heads of very fine hair around here that really inspire me. Fine hair can be silky and shiny and soft like nobody's business:).

goldenlady
October 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Mines 28" and still growing. Although it might seem a difficult hair type I find that my baby-hair gets less split ends than my friends ;).

BlazingHeart
October 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I know we have members with thin, fine hair who have gotten as far as knee. So it all depends on your genetics and how you handle your hair.

As far as dyeing, you might want to consider moving to something that is deposit-only, or letting your natural color grow out. Dyes that lift damage the cuticle, which makes your hair more fragile and less likely to grow longer.

vindo
October 29th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I don't think it has been mentioned, so I wanted to add that even thin hair can grow very long it it does not taper too much! Taper is very important when it comes to growing hair. Too much of it will keep you from reaching your goals.

Agnes Hannah
November 3rd, 2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks Emichiee for your information on tapering. I found this an interesting topic! The first time my hair was touching BSL (roughly where it is now), I had quite a bit of taper, I S&D'd it and let it grow. I also wore a motorcycle helmet regularly and this may have contributed to some damage as it may have suffered friction from rubbing against the helmet and my leather jacket. When I had children, I had it cut to shoulder length. Now it is a lot healthier than it was then, in spite of the hair dye damage (only do roots now). The taper is not nearly so pronounced as it was then and my hemline is straight across, so looks thicker because of regular trimming.

My family are all fineys,but I do remember my Aunt having longish hair, about MBL I think, so there is potential for mine to get to this point. My great grandmother had thick long hair, probably about thigh length, I have a photo of her, her hair is in two braids over her ears, and they are huge. There must be some diluted genes there!

AmyBeth and Shibe, you have also given me inspiration as we are hair triplets, and you have both got longer locks.

I do need to investigate alternative colour solutions to my hair as box dyes are not the best thing for my hair. It is naturally chestnut brown with golden highlights, but now has probably about 80% grey overall. I have been using lighter dyes each time now to try and bring the dyed colour down from very dark at the ends, to lightest brown at the roots. My plan is to go even lighter in the spring, to the darker blonde shades until the dyed colour is closer to my grey as possible then stop colouring. My grey is platinum so is quite pretty, but very very different to what I'm used to. Not sure if I can achieve this using henna.

I am taking Biotin, but it is too soon to know if there is a difference. I have read a lot about Monistat, Shibe how does this work for you, do you find it helps?
Thanks again for your support, am learning more about hair than ever before and how complex growing it can be. I have also bought some silk to make a pillow case.

vindo
November 3rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
It should be possible to dye your hair a brown shade with a mix of Henna, Indigo and Cassia, if you don't mind a slight reddish/ golden tinge. I have heard of people using Amla for a cooler shade, but I don't think anyone was able to rid themselves of red hues entirely with lighter shades...
Maybe you could ask a thread in the henna section, someone that dyes a similar shade with henna might be able to offer their experience.
It is always hard to say how much dye will damage your hair. Some people never run into much problems, some are more prone to damage and for others (like me) it can take quite a long time and repeated applications of dye until the hair gives up and snaps (that is why I stopped using chemical dye in '06, the switched to Henna and then grew out Natural. It was quite a long journey growing out to tailbone and took me almost 4 years of patience) I have written about it here: click (https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flonghairedatheart.blogspot.com%2F 2012%2F05%2Fgrowing-out-dye-successfully.html&ei=4N52UuGmJOHo4gTtmYHYCg&usg=AFQjCNEhPjd6g1-eg9VxQPEBom5bpxdnJQ&sig2=vIMu69S2_Yuz7oVqnza-8g&bvm=bv.55819444,d.bGE)

As for Biotin:
Your new growth will be affected by it, so it will take some time to see results in your hair. It can take about three months for new "biotin fueled" growth to emerge, then of course longer for that hair to grow to a certain length where you can tell if it is in a better condition.
One sign however is that if your fingernails benefit from it (for example they get stronger or grow longer), you can be sure it benefits your hair too).

Taper:
I have written an article about taper here and a few ways to combat it. It can be evened out to some degree (picture included or just see my sig, I used that method after every h)

http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
(It is quite old, so I plan to update it with more images and techniques soon.)

Agnes Hannah
November 4th, 2013, 04:59 PM
It should be possible to dye your hair a brown shade with a mix of Henna, Indigo and Cassia, if you don't mind a slight reddish/ golden tinge. I have heard of people using Amla for a cooler shade, but I don't think anyone was able to rid themselves of red hues entirely with lighter shades...
Maybe you could ask a thread in the henna section, someone that dyes a similar shade with henna might be able to offer their experience.
It is always hard to say how much dye will damage your hair. Some people never run into much problems, some are more prone to damage and for others (like me) it can take quite a long time and repeated applications of dye until the hair gives up and snaps (that is why I stopped using chemical dye in '06, the switched to Henna and then grew out Natural. It was quite a long journey growing out to tailbone and took me almost 4 years of patience) I have written about it here: click (https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flonghairedatheart.blogspot.com%2F 2012%2F05%2Fgrowing-out-dye-successfully.html&ei=4N52UuGmJOHo4gTtmYHYCg&usg=AFQjCNEhPjd6g1-eg9VxQPEBom5bpxdnJQ&sig2=vIMu69S2_Yuz7oVqnza-8g&bvm=bv.55819444,d.bGE)

As for Biotin:
Your new growth will be affected by it, so it will take some time to see results in your hair. It can take about three months for new "biotin fueled" growth to emerge, then of course longer for that hair to grow to a certain length where you can tell if it is in a better condition.
One sign however is that if your fingernails benefit from it (for example they get stronger or grow longer), you can be sure it benefits your hair too).

Taper:
I have written an article about taper here and a few ways to combat it. It can be evened out to some degree (picture included or just see my sig, I used that method after every h)

http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
(It is quite old, so I plan to update it with more images and techniques soon.)

Thats very indepth information Emichiee thank you! I have downloaded the henna book and am going to try it. I have always been apprehensive about my hair turning orange, but after reading the experiences of other long hair henna users, I feel more confident about using it, especially with lemon juice so it isnt so strong. You have been really helpful, thank you once again. You have a real love for long hair, and it shows, yours is beautiful.
Agnes Hannah

AspenSong
November 4th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Well personally, mine is currently Nearly fingertip, so just past classic. I think with gentle care, it'll get as long as you want it/terminal I'm sure. :)

vindo
November 4th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Thats very indepth information Emichiee thank you! I have downloaded the henna book and am going to try it. I have always been apprehensive about my hair turning orange, but after reading the experiences of other long hair henna users, I feel more confident about using it, especially with lemon juice so it isnt so strong. You have been really helpful, thank you once again. You have a real love for long hair, and it shows, yours is beautiful.
Agnes Hannah

:flower: thank you!

Orange is not too bad either, mine is naturally orange brown. Weird, but I am okay with it. :lol:

vanillabones
November 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I have baby fine hair and am at 25+ inches and still growing. I don't think I've ever grown further than mid back... I really hope I can at least make it to hip.

Roscata
November 5th, 2013, 12:37 AM
You may want to check out the Thin/Fine Hair Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115) for tips and inspiration. Good luck in your journey! :)