PDA

View Full Version : Finally accepting my fine hair.

sagremus
October 29th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I have always wanted thick, voluminous hair. But finally I am learning to love my fine hair. I have a lot of it, but it compresses down and doesn't give me a very thick braid or big bun. It snags and snarls, and is as delicate as silk, screaming and snapping and splitting even at the sight of heat or a brush. It is so slippery that many styles just flop right out. It gets greasy quickly at the scalp but dries at the ends. After stretching washes, it flattens to my head with absolutely zero volume and clumps into greasy tendrils at the ends.

But it's my hair and on it's good days, it has it's own beauty. It's shiney and soft. I know it well and how to care for it, it's likes and dislikes. I used to wear extensions for added volume to get that huge "mane" that I coveted. But these days I am very satisfied with my natural hair. I love spotting other fineys. So yay to all of us with this hair type.:joy:

Rio040113
October 29th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Your hair sounds exactly like mine :) it took me a while to accept my hair as well, it's nice to have made friends with it finally!

Hybris
October 29th, 2013, 03:31 AM
That's great! :D
I'm still working on accepting my hair will never be smooth and silky. :knuckle:

Flor
October 29th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I have always wanted thick, voluminous hair. But finally I am learning to love my fine hair. I have a lot of it, but it compresses down and doesn't give me a very thick braid or big bun.

I'm really happy to hear about your hair accepting journey! But how is it possible that with a 4.5 inches ponytail circ. your braids are not thick enough? I would imagine it'd be a really impressive size. Or the emphasis is on wanting VERY thick and settling on something just above average?

Stray_mind
October 29th, 2013, 04:40 AM
I'm in the same boat with you. I'm glad for you, because accepting your hair as it is is not that easy. I haven't accepted it fully yet, but i am trying really hard.. Everytime i look in the mirror and think "Your hair is not that thin, relax.." :)

sagremus
October 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
My braid is thick enough, but it will never be VERY thick.

Applegirl84
October 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Sounds VERY thick to me with my 2.5" circumference. I'm pretty sure 4.5"is considered very thick.

Rio040113
October 29th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Wait, your ponytail circ. is 4.5"? o.o I missed that completely, that's not thin, that's thick :) Mine was 3" and right in the middle of average (ii) before trich, now it's a 'hair' under 2" and classed as i/thin.

Shibe
October 29th, 2013, 09:52 AM
My very fine hair has a 2.7" circumference, I just looked at 4.5" and it is insanely thick.

That is not thin at all!

AmyBeth
October 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Maybe you had "hair dysmorphia":p. Either way, so many of us don't appreciate our own hair- cosmetics companies count on that! We all want what we don't have. So it's lovely to make friends with our own hair.

AspenSong
October 29th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Dang, I want your not thick hair! lol. I'm down here at 2" on a GOOD day. ;)

Understand accepting your fine hair! I work at doing that everyday! :)

LaurelSpring
November 2nd, 2013, 04:42 PM
Same here. Now that I am getting the silvers though it is giving me some volume. I recently checked the Curly Girl handbook out from the library to see if there was anything I could do to pump up the volume and that actually helped a lot. I was able to get some more volume in my hair using those suggestions. I also have some fake hair that I sometimes tie into my pony to make a fat bun. Parandas help with that also. One big lesson I have learned. No more layers! OMG layers in thin hair are the worst for me.