PDA

View Full Version : Is hair dye for Black women gentler?

goldcopperbrown
October 28th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I apologize if this seems weird, but I was wondering if the hair dye aimed at Black women with relaxed hair is gentler than the hair dye usually found in drugstores. I see a lot of colors in those lines that I really love, as a brunette, and while I know they wouldn't be WORSE for my hair than ordinary dye, I'm wondering if they may actually be better for fine, fragile hair.

Thoughts? Is it just a marketing scheme?

Nedertane
October 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Hm, I can't say from experience, but I wonder if they might actually be stronger/harsher, as companies might think black women's hair "can handle it," since it's generally believed to be coarser (even if that isn't necessarily the truth).

The next time you're checking out the dye boxes, check what volume developer they have listed (20, 40, etc.). The developer is what strips your hair to make the dye molecules "stick" better to the hair shaft, and a higher developer = greater chances of damage. That's probably the least scientific way to describe it, but hopefully you get the gist (or someone else comes along and explains it better).

You may be right, and it might be gentler, but just check to be sure!

goldcopperbrown
October 29th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Interesting- Black hair tends to be finer and more sensitive, but in the past I thought it was thick and course because of its basic appearance, so I assumed it didn't need as much care. Then I made friends with some Black girls who set me straight- they had a relatively harder time growing long hair.

Buddaphlyy
October 29th, 2013, 05:37 PM
It's just marketing. There are only a few cosmetics companies that manufacture hair dye which means that most everyone is getting the same thing. They just use different colors and models so stores can know which shelves to put what boxes on. Almost all box dyes have 20 volume developer and enough color to do a whole head application of "average' density shoulder length or shorter hair.

I've dyed my hair off and on for about 5 years and I think I only once used a 'black women' hair dye. If you do decide to use a color marketed towards black women, be sure to read the direction carefully to know what kind of dye you are getting. If it says that you have to wait some period of time after relaxing, it's a permanent color. If it says you can use it the same day as a relaxer, it's a semi-permanent.

AliD
October 29th, 2013, 06:15 PM
demi permanent dyes are permanent on relaxed hair and they aren't that bad, they only break your hair if you don't follow the instructions

seamonster
October 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM
demi permanent dyes are permanent on relaxed hair and they aren't that bad, they only break your hair if you don't follow the instructions

I didn't know that