PDA

View Full Version : Honey or Regular Dye?

goldcopperbrown
October 28th, 2013, 05:31 PM
So, I have very dark hair (don't let my name fool you) and the contrast with my skin sometimes makes me look harsh. I would prefer slightly lighter hair that still looks natural. So two nights ago, I mixed honey (Walgreen's Nice! brand), cinnamon, lemon juice and olive oil. The next morning my hair looked significantly lighter at the ends, but the olive oil was such a pain to wash out, so last night I did cinnamon, honey, lemon and water- it looks even lighter at the ends, but less of a huge difference, and a little redder too.

I figured I would just do a few more treatments, but then I saw an article that said it's actually impossible for honey (especially non-raw honey) to actually lighten hair at all. The more I look at my hair, it may not even be lighter- I may just be imagining it, because my ends were ALWAYS lighter than my roots anyway!

Now I'm wondering if I would be better off just using Naturtint, or getting some professional hair dye (I used to do it all the time) just to go one level lighter. As I said, I don't need a big change, or even a super noticeable one- I just want to take the edge off the harshness.

But I really don't want to damage my hair either. Is it true that honey is just a myth after all? What about cinnamon? Would I be better off just getting dye at a store?

HintOfMint
October 28th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I recall a very extensive honey lightening thread on this forum, possibly in the Recipes section with lots of before/after pictures. Honestly, I couldn't see any difference in any of the photos. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be a very effective method.
There are others with more experience in how much damage box dye would give you if you only lightened one level, so I'll leave that question to them.