PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Tangling and hair type

Darkhorse1
September 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I'm curious to know if fine haired people get tangles easier than those with coarse hair. Hopefully I can do this poll right! :D

rockkcor
September 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Perhaps my hair is not long enough to really tangle...
Brush in the morning does it and I think that is all...

Phalaenopsis
September 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Of what I heard, finehaired people are cursed with more knots.
At least I am, but I have the *to be doomed* combination: fine hair and lots of it...

AJoifulNoise
September 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Medium and moderate tangles. Not big monster tangles though... Just a few hairs wrapped around each other. And only at my ends. Though, I'm also growing out a box dye job, so that may have something to do with it.

julya
September 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I do think that length has something to do with it, but I get lots of tangles. It takes me about 30 minutes to detangle with a comb. And I wear it up almost all the time! After wearing it down for the day it takes an hour or more to detangle, but I don't detangle throughout the day, just at night when I get home.

easternsunrise
September 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I do get tangles pretty easily. Especially the super fine see-through stuff in the front!:)

kunibob
September 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I think my hair classification is "M", though I do have some coarse and some fine hairs as well.

I get horrific matting at the nape -- I've referred to it on occasion as my "dreadlock" or my "beaver tail", depending how cranky it's getting. (I reluctantly switched back to using cones about 6 months ago, and that has gotten rid of the tangles...trying to wean off again in hopes that my hair will continue behaving. :eek:)

midnighttrain
September 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Course hair and if I leave it down a few hours its instantly tangled up. If I sleep on it overnight without putting it in a braid or something it completely mats up in just one night. :( My mom said this happens to her too and her hair is much shorter right now, so its not the length; I'm pretty sure it's the texture.

ssjhotau2
September 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM
My hair is too short to tangle very much at the moment, but it use to tangle so much I had to brush it regularly throughout the day, then braid it at night, or I wouldn't be able to get a comb through it the next morning.

Nightshade
September 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Despite my damaged ends, my hair rarely tangles, but I attribute that to the henna :)

Darkhorse1
September 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I thought tangles were due to length, but I was chatting with people and I know people who have shoulder length hair and get really bad tangles. So, I was curious to see if fine hair does tangle the most. I was trying to figure if I could add a poll with different length and type of hair (curly/straight/wavy), but I couldn't figure that all out :) ;)

Darkhorse1
September 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
My hair doesn't really tangle now that it's long--when I was a kid and it was shoulder length, the snarls were horrid! Twas why parents hacked it off until I could care for it myself.

Unless I do a fancy hair style--I've gotten tangles thanks to the herringbone braid and a french braid because the ends braid while you are working at the top.... :D

Isilya
September 5th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Medium and rarely tangled hair for me. I can even flip my wet hair to the front to put it in my towel to dry and flip it back afterwards and I'll have no tangles at all.

Hue
September 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have fine hair that tangles moderately, mainly in the canopy. I'm a lot gentler with it now (used to tangle a lot), and I generally find that if I tease out the tangle, there is a split or broken hair at the center. Fairy knots for some reason don't seem to wad up the rest of my hair, but splits sure do.

Unnamed
September 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
My hair has always tangled (throughout), and it's very fine. It had to be cut when I was 7 because of it, and it's pretty often I have to either snap a hair or cut a hair to get a knot out. I've had some really bad ones, and even the mild ones look like a balled up thing of shed hair. :mad: My hair is also very prone to fairy knots, and, well, they're good at causing the hair around it to tangle. :rolleyes:

Not all length, either, as I still had tangles even when my hair was shoulder length for a bit, and when it was BSL, and not really 'long'.

I will say that I'm starting to get more tangles, but it's more just shed hairs not being able to escape, and making sure to thoroughly detox my hair of sheds every couple of days seems to stop those tangles in particular.

But all that changes is the ways I get tangles, not whether I get 'em in the first place or even how common they are.

vidgrl007
September 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My hair is med and I dont get tangles.I consider myself lucky:).

thankyousir74
September 5th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Coarse hair, moderate tangles. I finger comb a lot in class though... I'm not sure if that's good for it or if it counts as "playing with it".

SweetPea88
September 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I have a mixture of medium-coarse hair and it doesn't really tangle very much. When I do get tangles it's usually just due to excessive wind or not combing before going out.

vindo
September 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
M Hair that tangles moderately, used to have none tangly hair but with length past waist came tangles too..
Its not too bad I just have to comb crefully before anything else ;)

2luvmycurls
September 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure what type hair I have, sometimes I think fine (I read somewhere that most curly haired Caucasians have fine hair), but when I've seen pictures of people with coarse hair, I think that's what mine looks like (i.e. when straightened, it almost looks like there is air between the strands or fuzz, not always frizz. I'm sure that didn't make sense, but I'm calling myself F/M for now, and I don't really ever have tangles...can't remember the last time actually. Sometimes if I have my hair up in a tight ponytail holder in a messy bun, some hair gets stuck and I have to yank it out, but that's about it for tangles. When I straighten it, the first day it's starightened, it doesn't feel good -- feels kind of dry and sandpapery, but by the next day or so, smooths considerably.

Interesting poll :)

mira-chan
September 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
My hair is coarse and doesn't tangle much. If it's up or braided I can go for days without combing and it combs out easily with only a couple small spots of semi tangles. Its not very tangle prone when worn down either.

Arctic_Mama
September 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I have fine hair and TONS of it. I have yet to have a hairdresser who isn't SHOCKED by how thick my hair it (it eats hairtoys too ;)). Thing is, it's also significantly wavy/loose curly. Add all these factors together and I have yet to find a routine that works in terms of detangling but not shredding my hair. It's strong and healthy but prone to damage and prone to snares. GAH!

Tangles
September 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I have M hair that's fine at the temples and nape. I tangle a fair amount, especially when my hair is dry, hence my username.

sexyjacksparrow
September 6th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Fine hair that tangles moderately. It used to tangle a lot but I've been taking better care with my hair this year it's tangled less. I'm ashamed to say that last year even though I was on this forum trying to grow it, I used to rip through my knots every evening (especially if I was tired or in a bad mood) :shudder:

Cinnamon.locks
September 6th, 2008, 01:20 AM
My hair is baby fine, it tangles easily but usually not too much. I normally find big tangles when i have spent moe than 1 day without brushing my hair or after my shower when combing out the tangles on my wet hair. The last i dealt with a big, nasty tangle was in February 2008, i was sick and tossed around the bed quite alot and ended up with a very large and nasty tangle that i had to finally cut off because no matter what i did or used (Oils, condish, my fingers ) it would not be destroyed. now i have a fairly large ( to my eyes ) piece of hair that is shorter than the rest by about 20 inches.

if there are tangles in my hair in the morning Usually i detangle with my fingers and then brush my hair with a BBB before either braiding it again or bunning for the day.

Finoriel
September 6th, 2008, 02:09 AM
My hair rarely tangles, 1a and M seems to be an easy-maintenance combination. With combing I´m done within under a minute. After washing and drying it loose it´s maybe slightly more, but not much.

hennared
September 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
The last few inches of my hair seem damaged, as they tangle like *crazy* very easily. They look pretty straw-like, except right after washing or if hosed down with a lot of oil! My hair is fairly medium-thick strand by strand, or at least it was; I swear the texture has overall been weird, changing, lately, since I started the big shed, 3 months ago.

-Hennared

Velvettt
September 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Knots, tangles, you name it, I get them. Breathe on my hair and it tangles. Baby fine hair that's been bleached, especially the bottom 6-8 inches, is a recipe for disaster. No-cones is worse but even fully coned to a limp, lifeless state, it tangles in a heartbeat. This is why my mother insisted on a pixie cut till I was a teenager.

swanns
September 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Coarse hair that's tangled all the damn time :mad:

freznow
September 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Are we talking up or down?

If braided or left up, it's moderate (a few tangles, mostly from shed hairs). If down and I do more than sitting, it tangles a ton. So basically, it tangles a lot.

Fine hair here :D

WURW
September 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Fine hair with moderate tangles - but only after washing.
Never have trouble with tangles between washes.

Adrienne
September 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Course, Curly, the mayor of tangle city = me

Kayleena
September 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hi, everyone! :) I answered, "Fine hair that tangles badly (knots all the time)." Currently, my hair is waist-length, but even when it was shoulder-length, it would tangle as much as it does now. The only time I comb and detangle completely is after washing my hair. If I get any tangles after it has dried and has been styled, I try to comb a little and gently work them out with my fingers, but I don't thoroughly comb or else my hair will just get flatter and flatter and flatter. I've had horrible knots, though :eek: , and then I have to spray extra detangler on them to help me get them out. Have a good hair day! :waving:

GoldenRed
September 7th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Phalaenopsis, I LOVE your braid!

soleluna
September 7th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I have coarse hair that tangles moderatly.. especially when I'm not careful and comb it in a bad way

Haith
September 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I voted fine/moderately. But, I never really have knots... at least what I'm picturing isn't what I get. My hair is just generally disorderly. I can't run my fingers through it without ripping on through, so I don't. I don't get big birds nest of knots, though.

Gray
September 9th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I have medium hair. Apart from the effects of extreme wind or such stuff, it doesn't really get tangled. If it is getting really tangly on a regular basis, then I know it's time for a trim and that'll usually clear up the problem.

TambourineDream
September 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I voted Medium with moderate tangles. This isn't strictly true as my damaged bleached hair ends tangle like CRAZY, but I'm discounting them as they hopefully won't exist for much longer! :) My natural hair seems to behave a lot better, if I do get tangles, they're easy to just fingercomb out.

My finer-haired friends are always complaining about tangles and knots, so it makes sense that a higher number of finer-haired types have issues with tangling.
Interesting poll!

Xi
September 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Fine/medium hair, and moderate to severe tangles. It used to be much worse, until I found my current cone-full conditioner.

chrissy-b
September 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I have fine hair that tangles moderately. It has gotten a lot better since I've been taking better care of it, using oils and shea butter has been a big help. Wearing it up when I sleep is good too because if I leave it down -- oh man! what a nightmare it is in the morning.

Anje
September 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Mine's fine and tangles moderately, unless I wear it down in the wind. Bad tangles usually correspond to hair that has been oiled for a while and has managed to accumulate lint. (Sometimes it seems I wash my hair more because it's linty than because it's gotten greasy at the roots.)

sapphire-o
September 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I voted "medium hair, not much tangles". I do get a few tangles sometimes, especially when I'm experimenting with new hair products. Most of the time detangling doesn't take more than a minute, and that's when I'm not using any conditioner. Whenever I use any conditioner I can just skip detangling. ;)

UP Lisa
September 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM
My hair is baby-fine, and the hardest thing about caring for it is keeping the tangles out. Once it tangles, I usually can't work it out without ending up with a know I have to cut out. Letting my hair blow in ANY wind is the worst thing I can do.

ilovelonghair
September 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Medium hair that tangles badly (knots all the time)

I chose this because I have to comb my hair several times a day if I leave it out. My hair tangles most at the bottom, that is the chemically dyed part. The top half is much better.

amberdakota
September 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Medium hair that tangles moderately... I have to brush/comb it several times a day.

darkwaves
September 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I think tangling tends to result from a combination of factors. For example, if I had straighter hair, maybe it would slip more... And if I had curlier hair, perhaps it would lock into ringlets and stay tangle-free!

mooglewoo
September 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I chose:

Medium hair that tangles moderatly( have to work a few knots out on a regular basis)

I fingercomb first, and then either use a comb or brush to get out the delicate knots my clumsy fingers can't undo. I don't get bad tangles from wearing my hair down; the bad ones come from when I am undoing a hairstyle.

Medvssa
September 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I voted coarse hair that doesn't tangle. I think it is also the curls that hold my individual hairs in a certain position. I rarely have a tangle, and with conditioner on, I can comb my hair in one or two strokes with no resistance.

WritingPrincess
September 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I have F/M hair that tangles moderately. I have to undo some tangles in the morning and the evening, but nothing really bad. When I wore it down every day for a couple weeks, however, I did notice a lot more tangles, so I guess wearing it up all the time makes a difference.

flapjack
September 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
The top half is fine and the bottom half is medium and with some coarse. Rarely ever tangles. When I was growing up, it was pretty much all fine hairs and never tangled, either. I fingercomb and lose about 5 hairs and then I'm done with it.

Sarahmoon
October 3rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Fine hair that tangles moderately I guess. Though it really depends on how I wear it. Braid or bun = very little to no tangles. Down all day = moderate tangles. Folded ponytail all day = quite a lot of tangles. Down on the beach = :blueeek:

Nanni
October 6th, 2008, 04:19 AM
My hair tangles once and a while, but more often in the winter when I wear more clothes, scarves and hats etc. I try to keep my hair up or in a braid.

burns_erin
October 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I have very fine hair, but it really only rarely tangles, and that is usually asscoaiated with getting or having something in my hair, like henna, dirt, or sawdust.

RocketDog
October 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have very fine hair, and it's a mix of curls and waves. My ends are pretty damaged due to some bleaching I did last year, so they tangle quite easily.

savi
October 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I've got fine strands, but with me it depends mostly on the amount of damage and condition of the hair. Worse condition = more tangles. Ponytails (especially low ones) gives me the worst tangles, nothing even comes near that. Worn open I get a couple that I'll finger comb through, buns don't cause them, over all moderate tangling.

Speckla
October 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM
My hair tangles all the time but that's due to my curls wrapping around each other. My hair is thin and fine.
________
YAMAHA SY99 SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_SY99)

TennesseeGirl
October 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I have fine hair and sometimes my hair tangles like no other then sometimes it isnt too bad. In the winter when I wear a coat it is awful it drives me crazy:crazyq:

willowcandra
October 10th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I'm fine and I tangle if I am loose and there is a breeze. I am really careful though so it's rare that I get a knot I have to work at, and what I use to detangle also makes a difference.

Aisha25
November 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM
My hairs are medium and coarse and tangle anytime they are open even when I have to redo my braid or bun they are tangled:rolleyes:

Vitalai
November 9th, 2008, 10:49 PM
My hair rarely tangles, and when it does I can finger comb them out. Then again, my hair isn't very long yet.

LawyerGirl
November 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM
My hair is thick-ish and doesn't really tangle. If I am outside and it's really windy, or something like that, I may have to brush out a few, but nothing major.

Ryanne
November 9th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Medium hair that tangles moderatly. I often braid it, that helps it not to tangle.

Elanor
November 10th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I chose Medium hair that doesn't really tangle. My hair is M/F, BSL and it only tangles if I haven't trimmed for 6 months or so and the ends are really dry, or if I've worn it down and it's windy.

Calanthe
November 10th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I'm a fine-hair but tangles is something I only know from reading about. I guess it's because my hair is so straight and slippery that there's no chance to tangle. I can even sleep with my hair down and then fingercombing in the morning. No tangles.

morrsken
November 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I have medium hair and before, when it was shorter, I never needed to comb it. Now that it's shoulder length i need to comb it, but don't really get any knots. I imagine that it will become more tangly as it grows longer. Some of the non-tanglyness should be attributed to henna, but I don't think my hair is so prone to tangling naturally either.

burns_erin
November 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like the moderate tanglers across the board have it.

logica_divina
November 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I believe my hair is somewhere in between M and C, as hairs in my longer layer are coarse and the shorter layer (which is not more than 2 inches shorter) seems medium to me. It doesn't get tangled that often considering the fact that I wear it down at least 70% of the time.

cuddledumplin
November 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I messed up and voted medium hair that knots moderartely, but I meant to vote coarse hair that knots moderately.

TaraBella
November 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Oh, one of my favorite hair issues! My hair is fine (not baby fine, but fine) and straight, and tangles if you just look at it. As a child, with very long hair, I would get the worst rats' nests at the nape of my neck. It always ended up with me crying and my mother cutting out huge chunks just so she could brush it.
As I got better at taking care of it myself, I haven't had major problems with the tangles. If I don't condition and comb through the tangles with a wide-tooth comb, though, it's a mess.
As a newbie here, I've already learned so much! The CWC has really helped a lot!:)

Raven69
November 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I have medium to coarse hair and it tangles all the time. I have to constantly brush it and comb it. On the weekends I usually just toss it in a messy bun and leave it up all weekend and that's when it starts to get tangled up but I won't comb/brush it out till Monday after a wash. I am leaning towards trimming the ends...even going as far as cutting just at the hips...that would be a good 8 or 10 inches (guessing) though...cause the ends are old and getting kind of nappy...

kiora
November 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
My hair tangles all the time, especially the neck-hairs. My high collar work uniform does make matters worse.
It's fine-medium and pretty wavy with the odd curl here and there so I guess that's my problem. Cones used to save me but I don't use them anymore.

Astraea
June 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hmm...I was curious about this. My hair almost never tangles at any length. I can sleep with it loose and not comb it for several weeks and can even let it 'mat', and the coils still separate very easily. The only tangling I've ever noticed is when shed hairs are left in too long and tangle with another strand or when I've left serious mid-length breakage unattended. Water or oil work in these instances and seem important overall in keeping me tangle-free.

For reference I have very small/medium curls with more hold than slip. My hair is soft and very dense/voluminous - like a sponge. I'm on the fence about strand size and porosity but I'm guessing medium for both. I live in a soft-, though cloudy, water area. Based on this old thread there seems to be no consensus on which characteristics make one more or less tangle-prone, but it was interesting to read!

KwaveT
June 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I have coarse hairs and my hair range from 2a S waves to more 2c spirals. My hair must tangle quite easily since yesterday I wanted to measure the length at end of day and the back hairs were tangled again even though I detangled that morning. My hair mostly tangles in the back towards the ends. My hair does not tangle much on sides since it is just past jaw length.

KarisaLightYear
June 12th, 2013, 10:58 PM
My straight hair reaches my butt, is M/C, and tangles pretty easily. In the sense that I wake up to knotted hair.

Sharysa
June 17th, 2013, 11:10 PM
I would have picked "coarse hair that tangles moderately," but the poll is closed. And then I would have picked "coarse hair that tangles badly," but I think you ran out of options for that one. :P

Maybe it's because my hair is also wavy, frizzy, and thick, but if my hair's down, it goes feral instantly. After a year on LHC and Untamed Tresses, it's actually MORE prone to tangles because taking care of it and quitting the straightening/blow-drying brought out the 1c/2a barely-waves.

I can never sleep with my hair loose again unless I want to spend half an hour combing it the next morning. And it's not even super-long, it's a few inches away from waist length.

lapushka
June 18th, 2013, 04:53 AM
I have F hair, and it only really starts to tangle badly past hip. Then it needs some seriously moisturizing conditioner. But every wash is a clarifying wash here (weekly), so the moisturizing conditioner is there nonetheless... Oh well, I guess there are worse issues than tangly hair. At least it can be solved with buttloads of conditioner, right? :lol:

Sandrawoah
August 2nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
I have coarse hair that rarely gets tangled.