PDA

View Full Version : Wash routine overkill...?

coconutterly88
October 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Hullo!

Long time lurker checking in for the first time and seeking some advice from you lovely, knowledgable people... :).

I've taken on board and adapted my hair washing routine based on information gleaned from various threads but I'm just looking for a little clarification/reassurance that what I'm now doing isn't going to cause any long term issues with buildup or weakening my hair over time.

I'm a 2a/m/ii hair type (I think!) and am between shoulder and APL, growing out dye damage following a big chop back in Apr, the virgin hair is in much better condition but the ends are okay, I've been babying since the chop avoiding heat and whatnot.

Since stretching to twice weekly washes, I usually oil the length and ends with coconut oil before each wash, use a diluted sulfate free shampoo to rinse then SMT for an hour or so before rinsing and sealing with mineral oil.

My hair feels great, soft and thick, it does look a little greasy until fully dried when I'll tangle tease it and it then develops a nice shine - I'm just wondering whether I'm overdoing it on the protein/moisturising treatments? I've read about clarifying/chelating but wouldn't be sure where they'd fit in or be required?

Thanks in advance :)

bananahanna
October 28th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I'm no expert but I don't *think* you should worry about the chelating and clarifying if your hair is feeling and looking great. your routine sounds lovely and as long as it is giving you good results, keep up the good work!

Johannah
October 28th, 2013, 03:11 PM
When you use SLS-free shampoo, be sure you use products without cones.

That said, there's no rule about how much you should use protein/moisturizing treatments. I use coconut as a leave in almost everyday, and also a lot as a heavy oiling. My hair is great! If this works for you, go on. If you'll be overmoisturizing at some point, you'll notice and you can use less! If your hair feels great, it isn't a problem. There was a article about finding out if you're overdoing it, though. I'll search for it. :)

About chelating: do you know how harsh the water in your area is? And clarifying may be necessary at some point (if you use SLS-free shampoo) but I don't think you need it right now, based on your description!

Johannah
October 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Aha, the article (http://voices.yahoo.com/the-fine-art-protein-moisture-balancing-for-393904.html?cat=69)!

HintOfMint
October 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Aside from the sulfate-free part, and the duration of the SMT, that sounds pretty close to my routine. Pre-wash oiling, shampoo, condition with SMT-like concoction, and then use some sort of leave-in. So far, no problems, I'd hazard a guess that it's a perfectly fine routine for you.

There will be some tinkering along the way, but that's because weather happens, buildup happens, protein/moisture imbalances happen. Haircare can be kind of cyclical and I've come to realize that there's no one routine that will work 100% of the time. But your routine, as you have it now, is likely not to cause major problems in the long run.

bunnylake
October 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
When you use SLS-free shampoo, be sure you use products without cones.

That said, there's no rule about how much you should use protein/moisturizing treatments. I use coconut as a leave in almost everyday, and also a lot as a heavy oiling. My hair is great! If this works for you, go on. If you'll be overmoisturizing at some point, you'll notice and you can use less! If your hair feels great, it isn't a problem. There was a article about finding out if you're overdoing it, though. I'll search for it. :)

About chelating: do you know how harsh the water in your area is? And clarifying may be necessary at some point (if you use SLS-free shampoo) but I don't think you need it right now, based on your description!

I used SLS free shampoo for YEARS with coney conditioners and NEVER experienced build up of any kind, ever. Maybe some other ingredient in the shampoo I was using prevented build up, I don't know. It could depend on a lot of different things... hair type, the water, the wrong combination of ingredients over time, products, etc. It's different for everyone. I say just clarify when and if you feel like you need to.

hairaddiction
October 28th, 2013, 11:12 PM
As long as your hair looks and feels healthy, I'd say you're doing something right. So keep with it. Just make sure you balance moisture with protein since it's possible to have too much of either! Best of luck with your hair adventures.

Johannah
October 29th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I used SLS free shampoo for YEARS with coney conditioners and NEVER experienced build up of any kind, ever. Maybe some other ingredient in the shampoo I was using prevented build up, I don't know. It could depend on a lot of different things... hair type, the water, the wrong combination of ingredients over time, products, etc. It's different for everyone. I say just clarify when and if you feel like you need to.

I heard there was an ingredient in SLS-free shampoo that can wash out some cones... not sure. And guess you're lucky then! If I would use cones a couple of times, I'd get build up pretty fast! :rolleyes:

coconutterly88
October 29th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks all!

Re Johannah and chelating: pretty sure the water where I live isn't especially hard, will research and find out whether that could eventually be a factor though, thanks also for article link, very interesting :)

bunnylake
October 29th, 2013, 08:04 AM
I heard there was an ingredient in SLS-free shampoo that can wash out some cones... not sure. And guess you're lucky then! If I would use cones a couple of times, I'd get build up pretty fast! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the thread hijack! I only get insane build up from oils, actually. Weird!

Johannah
October 29th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack! I only get insane build up from oils, actually. Weird!

Lol I use oils almost everyday. Weird, haha :o

And coconutterly88, if you have really soft water, you can get build up over time. But I don't think you need to chelate right now! :)

Firefox7275
October 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Hullo!

Long time lurker checking in for the first time and seeking some advice from you lovely, knowledgable people... :).

I've taken on board and adapted my hair washing routine based on information gleaned from various threads but I'm just looking for a little clarification/reassurance that what I'm now doing isn't going to cause any long term issues with buildup or weakening my hair over time.

I'm a 2a/m/ii hair type (I think!) and am between shoulder and APL, growing out dye damage following a big chop back in Apr, the virgin hair is in much better condition but the ends are okay, I've been babying since the chop avoiding heat and whatnot.

Since stretching to twice weekly washes, I usually oil the length and ends with coconut oil before each wash, use a diluted sulfate free shampoo to rinse then SMT for an hour or so before rinsing and sealing with mineral oil.

My hair feels great, soft and thick, it does look a little greasy until fully dried when I'll tangle tease it and it then develops a nice shine - I'm just wondering whether I'm overdoing it on the protein/moisturising treatments? I've read about clarifying/chelating but wouldn't be sure where they'd fit in or be required?

Thanks in advance :)

What protein treatments?? Excessive deep conditioning/ moisturising can weaken the hair, IMO cut back on the SMTs. If you get build up just clarify then, we are all different with the frequency required.