PDA

View Full Version : seriously considering cutting. support needed!! lol

lolar
October 28th, 2013, 05:38 AM
After 3 and a half years of growing from a chin length layered bob (which I had cut from bsl and HATED the minute I had it done) I'm finally at my goal of waist length, all one length, thick hair(will post pics when I work out how to). The problem is, now I'm bored. I wear my hair up every day because it too heavy and difficult to manage. When I get dressed up I at least have to have it half up otherwise it smothers me and it's always so flat it just hangs with no life. I don't know what to do other than have it cut again. I think it's psychological that I've grown it this long in the first place, it's a safety thing but I don't want to have it cut and regret my decision!! I was thinking of going for APL as I tended to wear my hair down alot then and it looked good (although at the time all I wanted was for it to be longer as I didn't feel myself with short hair). Has anyone else been through this? Did you cut, if so what length did you go to? Were you happy with your decision or are you regrowing??

Firefox7275
October 28th, 2013, 05:47 AM
If you invoke the 'two week rule' and are still determined, I would cut in baby steps say no more than (say) six months growth at any one trim. Maybe some very long layers, or just cutting to mid back initially or a V hemline? If you regret any individual cut you only have half a year or so until you are back where you were.

XcaliburGirl
October 28th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I used to grow my hair long, then cut to APL, then grow it again. There's nothing wrong with that. APL is a good deal shorter than waist, so definitely make sure you won't regret it.

That said, you should use the two-week rule to make sure it's not just a passing urge. Also, think about doing something else to ease your boredom: try a new washing method, deep treatment, wear it differently for a week. Another option is to cut to mid-back first and see how that feels before going as far as APL.

MissAlida
October 28th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Layer it, cut a fringe or some face framing layers, try new updos, play around with it, but don't cut it shorter, because you'll regret it, since you don't like short hair on yourself. I think some nice layers would take away the weight of your hair, and you could wear it down more. I second Firefox's 2 week rule. :)

Ashflower89
October 28th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I agree with Firefox. You could try changing up your updo routines, or doing more "down" styles like braids, but if its absolutely driving you nuts, I would go up to the last major milestone, so BSL or APL. Maybe you do want long hair, but it's just too long for your taste, and by making small cuts you might find your "magic length" that works for you and is easier to manage. I saw your profile, your hair looks pretty thick and very straight, its pretty. =) Do you have bangs or any kind of shorter face-framing layers? When my hair gets long and all one length, I usually get something shorter cut in the front to shake things up. They don't even have to be as short as your face, they could just hang to CLB or something... enough to not feel like you have a giant curtain hanging from your head.

browneyedsusan
October 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Try some half-ups, or a few layers around your face? (I just freshened up my front layers, and feel SO MUCH better about it!)
I also second the "2 week rule". Sit on that egg a while and see if it hatches! :)

lapushka
October 28th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I had it to almost TBL (and for thickness, I'm a iii), within an inch, and then had it cut back to hip (so, not that much shorter). Then a few weeks later I had it cut back to waist, and didn't regret it - but these were small sections to cut, a milestone at a time. Then I had it layered (compact cut, method 2 -> ponytail on top of the forehead, then cut), and that took a lot of the weight out. I had layers before I grew them out, so no regrets here. But, the thing is, I didn't go berserk and cut a huge chunk off. I went a milestone at a time.

Crumpet
October 28th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Layer it, cut a fringe or some face framing layers, try new updos, play around with it, but don't cut it shorter, because you'll regret it, since you don't like short hair on yourself. I think some nice layers would take away the weight of your hair, and you could wear it down more. I second Firefox's 2 week rule. :)

Great suggestions. Other members with really thick hair have been happy with layers.

hairaddiction
October 28th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Going to have to agree with the others here. Sit on it for a while and play around with hair toys and different updo ideas. Then if you feel like you absolutely have to cut some, layers are great for removing some weight. Even try doing new hair routines! Maybe it's a scalp massage kinda day. Or maybe it's time to find a new product or oil! Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

DweamGoiL
October 28th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I highly recommend long layers. I have fine hair, but it's thick and the weight even at MBL was just getting to be a bit much. Pony tails would hurt my head and buns were a bit too massive. The layers added a lot of movement to it and diminished some of the weight. I can wear it down more often or put it up if I choose; much more versatility to having it layered.

dulce
October 28th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I cut a very sharp v hem,with layers along the edges,it cut a lot of the weight off my BCL length while looking overall at the same length and the v hem looks awesome loose.I can still do braids and buns/updos as they are long layers.I also agree with trying out different styles with assorted hair toys.My favourites are Ravenscroft moon forks,Grahtoe studio forks,Ficcares,Flexi 8/Lilla rose clips,African butterfly clips.Good luck,you don't need to cut short out of boredom or too heavy hair.

Ravenwind
October 28th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Consider getting long layers. It will help with the weight and it won't just "hang there" :) You'll have some texture and movement.

misspurdy06
October 28th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Layers help a ton! A V shaped hemline is super sexy, gives movement and shape and lightness. Wavy hair with layers is very Victorias Secret.

HintOfMint
October 28th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Another voice here for layers! I tried growing out my layers and once I succeeded, I saw how heavy my hair was, especially at hip. Layers helped immensely. I would suggest blended layers to avoid a choppy look, but to take enough hair out to lighten the weight.

Salmonberry
October 28th, 2013, 10:31 PM
A bunch of people have already said what I was going to recommend. Layers!

If your hair is feeling heavy, lifeless, and shapeless then layers can lighten it up and add some bounce without making your hair look any shorter. It will feel like you have less hair, but it will still be long. Layers can also help bring out some of your natural wave pattern.

I think the #1 reason a lot of longhairs choose to have all one length hair is because they like to wear it up in intricate updos and buns that are easier to make without layers. I hate putting my hair up, so having all one length hair isn't one of my goals.

Stray_mind
October 29th, 2013, 04:57 AM
You said it yourself, that you would regret cutting. I agree with everyone here, try something different-updos, layers, fringes, maybe even a new hair colous (of course with as natural dye as it can be, cause we all know what chemical dye does to hair).. Maybe you should change your washing routine if it looks lifeless.. Just don't cut it yet. Wait for some time, maybe the urge will pass...