PDA

View Full Version : My Accomplishment! :)

Ravenwind
October 27th, 2013, 11:04 PM
This may seem insignificant to others, unless you have been or are on the same boat as me.

But...... the top (shortest) layer of my hair, which has not grown past my shoulders in 3 years... IS NOW PAST MY SHOULDERS!! By a good 2 or 3 inches, I might add :)

When I was in high school (3 years ago) I straightened my hair all the time and that resulted in this top layer of hair to be completely fried, breaking off, and stayed at the same length for the longest time. After I chopped off my hair last January, it allowed me to start fresh and take better care of my hair, and now it is healthy and growing faster than ever.

I'm so happy :) My hair doesn't look like a mushroom anymore.

Sorry I don't have any pictures to show!

For anyone that is going through the same thing, don't give up hope! I thought my hair was never going to grow longer or ever get better, but it did!

ositarosita
October 27th, 2013, 11:09 PM
CONGRATS ... I know how hard that pesky layer can be giving you a weird level/mushroom cutish thing

Ravenwind
October 27th, 2013, 11:13 PM
CONGRATS ... I know how hard that pesky layer can be giving you a weird level/mushroom cutish thing

Thank you! Ugh yes they have been one of the most annoying things of my life. I'm never getting layers that short again.

Anexia
October 28th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Congrats! :) I'm still growing my short layers a few inches more...:D

Flor
October 28th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Awesome!! I noticed my face-framing layers got longer than they've ever been too! I used to wear tight ponytails all the time and I would always get those chin-long "mushroom" layers around my face simply from hair breaking off and needing constant trims. It's been 3 months since I switched to braids and buns cold-turkey and my top layers are now way past my chin and the ends no longer look all bent and fragile.

For years and years I could not figure out why my hair kept getting so damaged on top!

Tini'sNewHair
October 28th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Awwwwwwhhh thats awesome, CONGRATS!!!! Grow hair grow!!! WOOHOO :)

Firefox7275
October 28th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Naw it doesn't sound insignificant to us!! Most of us have had to grow out old damage or had a weak patch or reached a certain milestone and got stuck, you should feel proud of yourself that your perseverance has now paid off.

AmyBeth
October 28th, 2013, 06:47 AM
No,it's not insignificant. I had short layers too, and I know how long it seems to take to finally pass a milestone. I enjoy your success from afar.:)

Ravenwind
October 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone! I haven't been this happy with my hair in years. I thank LHC!

stachelbeere
October 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I understand you completely!!! I'm past APL and I've never every had hair that long, I had also always been hovering around chin/shoulder... :D I'm loving the fact that I can finally do updos and other fun stuff with my hair SO MUCH!!! :D

HintOfMint
October 28th, 2013, 04:49 PM
What a great feeling! Yes, getting that top layer past your shoulders significantly cuts down on the "poof" that makes it such an awkward length. I was so relieved when that stage was over.

Aingeal
October 28th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Fantastic! I'm growing out my bangs and can't wait for them to be past shoulder!

sarahthegemini
October 28th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Yay congrats! :) I'm at shoulder length atm and it's taking forever to get past it!

embee
October 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I remember growing out bangs and how everlasting long it took. So yes, you have an accomplishment. :)

jacqueline101
October 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Congrats on your accomishment. I know what you mean on growing out layers I just grew mine out. No its not silly to celebrate our milestones. I'd cebrate and rejoice your victory.

Ravenwind
October 30th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks all :) I recommend taking biotin for increased growth! It has really helped me out.

Jennah
October 30th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Congrats on your accomplishment!

I´ve had to do a similar thing and cut all my hair at shoulder length to get rid of the layers and make it healthy, but I´ve noticed that my canopy started growing some "new hair" as in whisps that were shorter than the rest. (?)

The hair feels thicker, but I don´t think I had those when I got my layers cut initially. Did you grow more hair also that you can see on top? Now I´m wondering if I´m going to have to get another chop.

Jennah
October 30th, 2013, 10:15 PM

I´ve had to do a similar thing and cut all my hair at shoulder length to get rid of the layers and make it healthy, but I´ve noticed that my canopy started growing some "new hair" as in whisps that were shorter than the rest. (?)

The hair feels thicker, but I don´t think I had those when I got my layers cut initially. Did you grow more hair also that you can see on top? Now I´m wondering if I´m going to have to get another chop.

Shibe
October 30th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I always thought my hair didnt 'grow' for the longest time..then I realized it was just breaking off whenever it got to a certain point. After S&Ding more and using wide tooth combs. my hair is growing so quickly!

seamonster
October 31st, 2013, 01:11 AM
This thread is a blessing, my crown just recently self cut at mouth length so I was feeling a little defeated. Knowing you got through it after a three year battle has motivated me. I am going to try all the tips in this thread.

Ravenwind
November 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Thanks! I still have a lot of layers from the initial haircut I had when I chopped it off (layered angled bob), and I did notice some wispy hairs growing on top but yes I think my top layer now is also thicker. Why do you need to get another chop?

I always thought my hair didnt 'grow' for the longest time..then I realized it was just breaking off whenever it got to a certain point. After S&Ding more and using wide tooth combs. my hair is growing so quickly!

Same exact thing with me. It was awful :( glad it's working out for you now!

This thread is a blessing, my crown just recently self cut at mouth length so I was feeling a little defeated. Knowing you got through it after a three year battle has motivated me. I am going to try all the tips in this thread.

Aww I'm glad I've motivated you! :) Hair is so important to us and when it doesn't look right or feel right, we aren't happy. Good luck! You can do it :)