PDA

View Full Version : Preserving curl?

09robiha
October 27th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I hope some curlies (and non curlies) can answer my question! My ultimate goal, as far as washing goes, is to be able to wash every four days or so, maybe 2 days down and curly, 2 up...I just cant figure out how to get my curls to look nice on day 2! I feel like my hair is too long to pineapple ( the length just gets tossed around on the sheet, I am a restless sleeper), if i put it in a bun or braids it just get...ermm...weird, smushed bends....spraying my hair with a spray bottle just gave me huge frizz! I am out of ideas!

...are there any other suggestions that I could try? Dont get me wrong, I love washing may hair often, but it would just save me so much time if i could stretch the curls a little to 2 or more days!

kitschy
October 27th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Lessen your perspective of what constitutes "nice curls." I wear my curls down on day 2, and they never, never look as good as day 1, but then I figured it out. .... No one else, not one person other than me, has ever noticed. Yes, I do get more compliments on day one, but day 2 is not some kind of disgusting monster either.

Quahatundightu
October 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Maybe since you are a 2c you could try my method which is a very high cinnamon bun to sleep. Especially if I dampen my hair (with a tiny bit of conditioner mixed in) when I take it down in the morning it will still be wurly, and more importantly it curls in an even manner that doesn't look weird. Another bun to try is a fully rolled sock bun. Just suggesting those two as you say you toss and turn a lot. I've found that buns work best for me in that situation.

When you sprayed your hair did you add some conditioner or try smoothing with gel? And then perhaps some gentle scrunching? That will also reactivate the curl.

Firefox7275
October 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Pineapple plus large sleep cap? Check out the overnight routine of Waterlily716 and Curlywavydiane on YouTube, both have/ had long hair.

DweamGoiL
October 27th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Pineapple plus large sleep cap

I second this. However, it's true you will never get 2nd day curls as good as day 1. This is a common predicament curlies have. I don't have wavy hair and I tend to embrace the wave the first 2 days and after that, I bun it on top of my head to sleep and it still has body in the morning, but no discernible wave, but no frizz either.

PrincessIdril
October 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Lessen your perspective of what constitutes "nice curls." I wear my curls down on day 2, and they never, never look as good as day 1, but then I figured it out. .... No one else, not one person other than me, has ever noticed. Yes, I do get more compliments on day one, but day 2 is not some kind of disgusting monster either.

I second this.
Your curls probably still look pretty darn good (especially to straight haired folks!) We are all our own worst critics when it comes to our hair after all

rock007junkie
October 27th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I never got good results with the pineapple. It felt like it loosened my curls. I bought a LocSoc (http://www.soclocsoc.com/) shortly after cutting my hair and it's been the best purchase s far. I'm able to keep pretty decent curls for 3-4 days. Could probably go for longer but I workout daily and like washing my hair every 3 days or so. I would definitely recommend this to keep your curls during the week

kitschy
October 27th, 2013, 08:27 PM
rock007junkie, that looks very promising. My hair is about the same length as yours. Do you think I would need the long Locsoc?

seamonster
October 27th, 2013, 11:03 PM
That loc sock sounds interesting, I saw it at a hair show.

09robiha
October 28th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Well, thank you to everyone on that commented on this thread, your thoughts were really helpful.

Today I am wearing second day hair! I was so determined this morning to make it work - you are right about having accept that 2nd day hair just isnt going to be as good as the first. It isn't too bad actually, I applied a little more product that I usually would yesterday, so my curls seems to have kept more definition into the second day. Spritzed with water this morning, applied a little gel to the top and then let dry. It isnt too bad - a little fuzzy but no one else seemed to notice, or even care for that matter! I am starting CO again and hopefully as my curl pattern gets stronger, 2nd day hair will improve.

Thanks for all your help!

magfish
October 28th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I pineapple and then spray my curls with water with some gel mixed in, which I find helps a little! Also, yeah, putting more product in on day one will definitely help with curls on day two. Good luck!

kitschy
October 28th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I just ordered a regular locsoc and a long one. Can't wait to get them and try them out!

rock007junkie
October 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I just ordered a regular locsoc and a long one. Can't wait to get them and try them out!

Just saw your other post...definitely a good idea to get the long one but even the short one is okay for our length. let me know how you like it!

Strawberry93
October 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I find pineappling with a scrunchy doesn't work for me, but if I clip my hair into a pony on top of my head with little hair clips(I use about 6) I usually wake up with great hair! :)