PDA

View Full Version : Washing your hair NOT squeaky-clean on purpose?

Flor
October 27th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Basically, diluting shampoo to a point where it just barely lathers and only takes off a small portion of sebum. Upon squeaky-clean test it should not squeak. And when dry, it's not supposed to get lightweight and puffy, but it'd be cleansed enough not to lay flat and look stringy.

I'm trying this at the moment using shampoo bars. Normally I lather them directly by rubbing the bar along the roots and then massaging it (same way as with regular shampoo) and it gets my hair squeaky-clean. But in the last 3 washes, I would fill a small jar with a bit of hot water and wiggle the bar in it until it starts to form bubbles. And I then use that water to wash hair. It doesn't lather anywhere as much and my hair doesn't squeak, but I really like how it looks once dry. It feels heavier and well-moisturized. And once it starts to get greasy again, it seems to do it in a way that is less offensive to the eye ;) What I hate about greasy hair is the demarcation line between super-greasy roots and dry length. With this method, sebum appears to travel down the length easier and covers hair more evenly.

I think I read somewhere that it's how hair used to be washed back in the day. When women would rarely wash their hair in general, but if it actually got dirt in it, it would be washed in a tub with melted soap shavings.

I'm guessing same principal is used in baking soda washing. I didn't get along with it (I find it builds up quickly and tangles my hair a lot, even with a heavy ACV rinse), but apparently BS works by forming a weak bond with oil, so it also takes off just a portion of sebum.

The only downside I noticed so far - it takes a while longer to dry hair. I guess leftover oil locks the moisture in really well.

Rio040113
October 27th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Interesting, I hadn't thought about this, I do dilute my shampoo though (when I use it) but I use my condish neat when I co-wash. It could be worth doing on the odd day, although I'm not sure I could stick to it every time without getting a bit itchy, my scalp can be a grumpy thing. I might try diluting my shampoo even more and diluting my co-wash as well... Thanks for the info!

NuclearApple
October 27th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Last time i tryed this method my hair was horrible,greasy on the roots and super dry on the ends...i'm so sorry for this cause there are lots of positive reviews as yours but my hair does not like it (natural oily hair) so i'll have to proceed with the squeaky clean :(

Quixii
October 27th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Interesting.
To be honest, I've never tried to get my hair "squeaky" clean. I think if my hair squeaked, I'd be concerned.

Lyv
October 27th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I've never thought about diluting but I hate when my hair feels squeeky clean. If it feels too clean when I clarify I use tons of conditioner until the feeling goes away lol. I'll have to give it a try next time I wash.

vindo
October 27th, 2013, 06:43 AM
I get that effect with soap herbs and wash like that when I don't plan to wear it down. It will look clean in updos and braids :)

It is certainly more gentle to the hair, less cleansing is always better when it comes to avoiding weathering.

embee
October 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM
This is my way if I am going to use shampoo at all. It works ever so nicely for me. No static cling, don't need conditioner, very few tangles just all around better.

(Mostly I'm WO or NW/SO, but sometimes (especially summer) I really need something more.)

spidermom
October 27th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I dilute my shampoo a lot and it cleans my hair without leaving it full of static. I like that. I can go 4-5 days between washings. Only when I feel I have buildup and do a clarifying wash do I use enough shampoo to get that crazy-clean, fly-away result. Bleh; I don't like that.

WilfredAllen
October 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I do this as well, but with SLS-free shampoo, not a shampoo bar. It's amazing! Like, you, I love the way my doesn't get greasy as quickly, and when it does, it doesn't look so bad. I did w/o once, but even after several months I was still a bit greasy. I feel like this is a way to have the best of both worlds, and maybe slowly adjust to w/o without being greasy. I'm still trying to find a balance with everything

Firefox7275
October 27th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Anything alkaline and stronger anionic surfactant products are capable of removing more than just deposited sebum, they can also bond to structural lipids so diluting them seems very wise. Personally I cleanse to (softly) squeaky clean, with the knowledge that my cleansing product (Inecto conditioner) is not capable of breaking the bonds holding structural lipids and proteins together. Of course having porous colour treated hair I will lose some lipids and proteins just through water exposure. Since quitting shampoo and starting the Curly Girl method I don't have a massive issue with pouf.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4