PDA

View Full Version : question for the rest of you that notice your hair

mamaherrera
October 26th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I don't dye my hair, yes I henna but in certain parts that have whites. But I've read lately and I've noticed lately (unless it's different lighting in different rooms/stores) that as you age, your hair (overall) apart from getting white, loses pigment, and becomes more ashy. I think my hair looks more of a lighter brown than it used to, (I'm 33) but in pics and stuff it still looks dark. My husband says it's just the lighting and me paying more attention but I'm freaking out that it's another sign (going through mid-life crisis) that I'm aging. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed their general hair color lighten/fade/become more ashy and at what age????

Naiadryade
October 26th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm only 25 so I don't know--except that my mom's hair started going grey/white when she was around your age. But I do know that 33 is too early for a mid-life crisis! Are you hoping to only live to your mid-60's? You're still young; relax!

Andeee
October 27th, 2013, 12:17 AM
I have to agree with Naiadryade, you are too young to worry about ageing hair!

Flor
October 27th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I have noticed it too, I'm 33 as well. BUT I'm convinced it's the light. About 3 years ago we moved to a new apartment and that's when I had a bit of a hair crisis ;) I just didn't like how it looked anymore. Dull and washed out. Turns out that the daylight lamps we have in the bathroom are the LEAST flattering I've ever had in my whole life. Combined with the giant-ass mirror, I hated how I looked altogether, not just my hair.

Also, I used to henna even when I was a teen, and I always preferred henna-toned hair to my original color. Both my hair and skin are neutral and it can look a bit boring (to me at least).

jeanniet
October 27th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Nope, my hair is as dark as ever.

Hybris
October 27th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Your whole body changes trough the years so I think it is natural that your hair might as well. When I was a kid my hair was much darker too but it got a few shades lighter in puberty. And recently I found some old pictures and noticed that some 10 years ago my hair had different color with same henna I use now although the roots are same. But I don't think your hair is getting worse in any way, it might have just changed and that's normal, it doesn't mean it's something to worry about. :)

vindo
October 27th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I doubt that at only 33 your color would change from aging ;-)

It more likely is a change in color due to hormones (pregnancy) and combined with sunlight.

Nutrient rich foods and enough copper in your diet can assure that your hair color will be vivid for longer btw. :)

Hope all is well!

Madora
October 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM
No, my hair hasn't changed color. Of course it is greying a bit, but that is to be expected.

neko_kawaii
October 27th, 2013, 08:22 AM
My hair was nearly blond when I was a young child and it darkened to its current color by middle school. I have not noticed any changes since. It certainly looks different colors under different lighting though. I have a couple pictures where it looks like honey, which makes no sense to me. My mother on the other hand is a red head with a coppery orangy color. Her hair is darkening and we expect she will have brown hair like mine before she goes gray. So, it is possible that your hair is changing color, though I've only heard of it happening to red heads before.

SleepyTangles
October 27th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Sometimes I have this impression, too, even if I am even younger than mamaherrera. Sometimes I think my hair will turn ashier and lighter until the day I have a full white head. But then I realised that its just the comparison between the henna red tones and my natural hair colour: it will always look ashier against it, much more than I can remember when it was all virgin.
I admit, I was a bit disappointed: no more khaleesi silver braids for me:bounce:!

ladonna
October 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I'm almost 31 and have dark brown hair, I have also noticed faded hairs (fading to a golden color) and also some really bright white ones. I also wasn't sure if it was lighting or not until I pulled some of the hairs to look at them, yes I'm going grey. Some of them are dye resistant, so I'm trying my hardest to not be upset. It is was it is.

Salmonberry
October 27th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I'm 23 and just found my first white hairs a few months ago. My hair was light blonde as a child and has darkened to a dark golden blonde. I've noticed lately at the top of my hair near my part (which is where I found the whites) is getting streaks of lighter blonde in it. They almost look like highlights that were done in the salon. I doubt it's from the sun because some parts are lighter at the roots. I think some hairs just lose a little of their pigment before they go full on white.

girlcat36
October 27th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Yes, my hair has lightened in addition to going gray. I had dark brown hair. Now it is decidedly light brown with gray. I think it is a fine-ness thing(my hair is baby fine), but I also blame it on thyroid stuff. Other people have noticed it on me, too.

Firefox7275
October 27th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Yes hair can sometimes lose some of the pigment before it loses all of it, perhaps because there are different pigments making up the final colour. Even in your thirties you have been ageing for years, as we all do. Rather than getting stressed which can accelerate the ageing process, take steps to slow it with targeted healthy eating (plenty of essential fatty acids and antioxidant phytonutrients) and regular physical activity.

ositarosita
October 27th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I'm 24 but my family seems to work another way we start out platinum then move towards ash blonde before we slowly start to go to a dark brown then we just go straight to salt.. I don't see anything as of yet but my family again we start salting it up at about 50... (my dad is 65 and he's going silver)...

AmyBeth
October 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
It would have to be a 33yr old worrying about her "mid-life crisis".:laugh:

chen bao jun
October 27th, 2013, 12:47 PM
people's hair can change color from a lot of things. Including the sun in summer.
33 is way too young to be having a mid life crisis. I have yet to have one and I'm 56.

chen bao jun
October 27th, 2013, 12:48 PM
My hair appeared to be getting lighter when I was in my thirties, which I did not like (I love having black black hair and want to keep it until I'm grey). However, it turned out to be a combination of chemicals from straightening with a relaxer and sunlight. It's black again now.

cathair
October 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I'm almost 31 and have dark brown hair, I have also noticed faded hairs (fading to a golden color) and also some really bright white ones. I also wasn't sure if it was lighting or not until I pulled some of the hairs to look at them, yes I'm going grey. Some of them are dye resistant, so I'm trying my hardest to not be upset. It is was it is.

I am 28 and I have some of these ones that have faded to a golden colour too. I assumed they were ones that were on their way to becoming white.

I had very dark brown hair which has a fair bit of white in it now. It does look lighter over all, which I think makes me look older and makes my hair look thinner and it is much closer to scalp colour. I am not sure that it is all the dark hair fading that causes it to look lighter however, since it only seems to be a small proportion of them I find which are golden. I think it is the actually white hair mixing in with the dark that makes it look lighter over all.

Family have commented that my hair looks much lighter than it used to, it's not just me that has noticed it. I tried colouring in my scalp with an eyebrow pencil at the front the other day for a laugh to see if that made me look younger. It really did, it was sad lol. I have also used to have a very dark mole on my forehead. This has now faded to nearly white as well as my hair. The only reason you can tell it was there is because it is slightly raised. My whole head appears to be losing pigment!