PDA

View Full Version : To Trim or Not?

Komao
October 26th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I'm trying to grow hair from waist to hip length.
My last trim was end of July.

I do oil length of hair and every day I concentrate on my ends.

My my main objective is getting hair to hip but I want it healthy, too.

So do I :scissors: or leave it alone?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7186&d=1382807024\
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7192&d=1382832637\ }[/IMG]

Sorry, 2nd pic is a little dark. Will try again, another time.

ositarosita
October 26th, 2013, 04:16 PM
From the pic it looks like you don't need to touch it with scissors .. if your hair is healthy there's no reason to trim. I say don't trim

lapushka
October 26th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I see absolutely no reason for you to trim right now. Just like ositarosita said, if it's healthy there's no reason to trim. Another vote for laying off the scissors.

Komao
October 26th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I see absolutely no reason for you to trim right now. Just like ositarosita said, if it's healthy there's no reason to trim. Another vote for laying off the scissors.

From the pic it looks like you don't need to touch it with scissors .. if your hair is healthy there's no reason to trim. I say don't trim

Thank you for replying. I feel sort of relieved you don't think I need to trim. I'm going to wait and laying off the scissors sounds good. :o

jacqueline101
October 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I agree with the previous post your hair looks healthy enough to skip the trim. By the way I like your curls.

Komao
October 26th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks jacqueline101, :) I think I'm loosing a lot of my waves or curls as hair gets longer? I'm sort of hoping they come back. I'm not doing anything different, so not sure what's going on there.

Komao
October 26th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I'm in for the night. In pj's so not painting the town red tonight, lol so here is another pic. I'm celebrating that I'm at waist length. :happydance:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7193&d=1382835194

jacqueline101
October 26th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks jacqueline101, :) I think I'm loosing a lot of my waves or curls as hair gets longer? I'm sort of hoping they come back. I'm not doing anything different, so not sure what's going on there.

I've heard other curlies complain about the weight pulling out their curls. Some of them cut layers in their hair to regain their curls. I don't have curly hair so advice on regaining them is out on my end other then asking other curlies or joining the curly girl method thread. They might be able to help you on regaining your curl.

jacqueline101
October 26th, 2013, 07:22 PM

I've heard other curlies complain about the weight pulling out their curls. Some of them cut layers in their hair to regain their curls. I don't have curly hair so advice on regaining them is out on my end other then asking other curlies or joining the curly girl method thread. They might be able to help you on regaining your curl.

Rio040113
October 26th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Another vote for not trimming, your hair is lovely :)

Andeee
October 27th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Def doesn't need a trim! (unlike mine) It's gorgeous and thick all the way to the bottom!

CurlyCap
October 27th, 2013, 01:01 AM
I trim 1" off my hair every six months. It keeps all the ends in perfect shape and then I don't have to worry about it the rest of year.

You don't need to trim, but it might be thought of as routine maintenance.

bunzfan
October 27th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Listen to Emma step away from the scissors ...and put them down :lol: your ends are great!! if you do you will regret it like i always did!

RedNymph
October 27th, 2013, 03:27 AM
My suggestion is maybe do a search and destroy.

NuclearApple
October 27th, 2013, 03:32 AM
your hair looks gorgeous,I suggest a s&d too to be sure the ends are healthy :o

Komao
October 27th, 2013, 05:58 AM

Thanks jacqueline101. I do read about the curly girl method and have tried quite a few of their suggestions and I have made some curly girl friends! I will delve into it more as it's just lately starting to loose some curl. Thank you:o

Another vote for not trimming, your hair is lovely :)

Thank you. It feels so nice to be told that. I love long hair and just want it longer. ;)

Def doesn't need a trim! (unlike mine) It's gorgeous and thick all the way to the bottom!
Thanks, I just hope it stays that way. I have learned a lot being an LHC member and people, like you, make it fun. :D I'll have to see if you have an album, to check out your locks!

I trim 1" off my hair every six months. It keeps all the ends in perfect shape and then I don't have to worry about it the rest of year.
You don't need to trim, but it might be thought of as routine maintenance.

Thanks for your advice. I was thinking of doing just this but thought I'd play it month by month in case it started looking, not so good. :)

Listen to Emma step away from the scissors ...and put them down :lol: your ends are great!! if you do you will regret it like i always did!

bunzfan, thanks for all the encouragement. You are a great LHC friend. I feel like I can spread my wings and really start my long hair journey. I wish for both of us, a great year to come with hair that will meet our expectations. :magic:

My suggestion is maybe do a search and destroy.

Thanks RedNymph and NuclearApple, I have read about this and to be honest, I feel like an idiot as I'm still not sure how you do s&d. I know a lot of people do a little at a time in their down time. I feel like I wouldn't know where to cut. I have a little problem with blurred eyesight at times and it seems like it would take me forever. I do want to be positively sure that hair is healthy. I might have to read more about it or watch a video. I planned on doing a dusting on next trim, no more than 1/4", hopefully.
Did someone show you how to do this or is it something that's suppose to be natural and sort of mindless. If so, I might be in trouble. :crazyq:

your hair looks gorgeous,I suggest a s&d too to be sure the ends are healthy :o

Thanks for the compliment, too. :)

martyna_22
October 27th, 2013, 06:18 AM
A trim won't do any good, your hair is lovely!

Komao
October 27th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the compliment, martyna_22. Your hair in avatar looks lovely. :)

Komao
October 27th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the compliment, martyna_22. Your hair in avatar looks lovely. :).

I just checked out your profile as your avatar pic was so pretty. Well your hair is beautiful and I love the color of your hair. :o

spidermom
October 27th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Feeling it will tell you more than the appearance tells us. I can always tell when my ends need to be trimmed because they start feeling rough. I'll pinch a wad of hair between thumb and finger and slide down the hair from top to ends. If the ends feel significantly different than the top, they have to go.

spidermom
October 27th, 2013, 09:27 AM
P.S: It has been 9 months since my last trim and my ends still feel nice and silky. With good care, trims are far less necessary.

Komao
October 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks spidermom, I would feel them right now, but I'm being a good girl and my hair is in up-do!
That makes a lot of sense and I will follow your suggestion. :)

Salmonberry
October 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Your ends look nice and thick in the picture, but a better indicator of whether you need a trim or not is how your hair is behaving and how it looks up close. If it's getting really tangle prone for no reason or the ends are sticking together when you run your fingers through your hair it's probably time. Also, check your ends up close, if there are a bunch of split ends or white dots then you're probably ready for a trim.

Komao
October 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks spidermom, I would feel them right now, but I'm being a good girl and my hair is in up-do!
That makes a lot of sense and I will follow your suggestion. :)

Komao
October 27th, 2013, 09:55 AM
P.S: It has been 9 months since my last trim and my ends still feel nice and silky. With good care, trims are far less necessary.

That's really encouraging to hear. Would rather work on good care than trimming to frequently. :o

Your ends look nice and thick in the picture, but a better indicator of whether you need a trim or not is how your hair is behaving and how it looks up close. If it's getting really tangle prone for no reason or the ends are sticking together when you run your fingers through your hair it's probably time. Also, check your ends up close, if there are a bunch of split ends or white dots then you're probably ready for a trim.

Thanks, I will inspect hair and so far I'm not experiencing tangles but will do as you advise on a regular basis. ;)

nakima
October 29th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I agree with the rest. you have beautiful hair and its healthy so no trims. oh and congratulations on reaching waist:applause

CurlyMopTop
October 29th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I agree with the S&D. If you're worried about the ends, you could always just "dust" them. ;)

Komao
October 29th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I agree with the S&D. If you're worried about the ends, you could always just "dust" them. ;)

Thanks so much and you know how I love your hair, color, curls, the works.:D I'm not sure if I know how to s&d correctly. I know it's not a technique that's suppose to be hard to master but I think I'm better off with a dusting. I'm not sure I have the patience to s&d as it seems like it would be time consuming to me? You're the one that got me to purchase CC and I'm real happy with that. :)
From responses, I think I will hold off on trimming until I feel ends are rough or hair starts to have tangles.
Really trying to make this an impressive growth year but healthy at the same time. I want it all:wannabe: and I wish you great growth this coming year, too!

NataschaB.
October 29th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I think your ends look absolutely fine! :) I don't think your hair needs to be cut, at all.

Komao
October 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your reply, NataschaB., I've decided for now to delay trimming. Just wanted to ask the experts here as I want healthy hair. :o

bunzfan
October 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your reply, NataschaB., I've decided for now to delay trimming. Just wanted to ask the experts here as I want healthy hair. :o

If you want to keep the ends nice for as long as possible daily oiling them works wonders for wavy hair like ours ;)

Komao
October 29th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks bunzfan and I do oil ends every single day without fail and I know that has helped me. I use usually coconut or olive oil. I mix a little jojoba oil with a favorite conditioner at other times. Once in awhile I use castor oil and want to try next, almond oil. :)

AspenSong
October 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
No trim! Your ends look great to me!! :) You've got a fab, thick hem. *jealous*

Komao
October 29th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks AspenSong, that makes me feel happy re: thick hem, just want to try to keep it that way as I continue to grow it out:)

summergreen
October 29th, 2013, 03:58 PM
It looks great, I would say no trim :)

Komao
October 29th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks summergreen and I just posted to you on the ws to tailbone thread:D

Komao
October 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks nakima, it was thrilling to reach waist length & for compliment. I appreciate it. :)

alexis917
October 30th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Your ends look nice and thick to me!

Komao
October 31st, 2013, 06:42 AM
That's good to hear alexis917, I'm going to leave it alone for now and see when it actually needs a trim:)