PDA

View Full Version : I promise this is the last frizz query I will make ;)

sarahthegemini
October 26th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Ok, so I eliminated glycerin from my RO conditioner, and cut down on how much scrunching I was doing on wet hair with my MF towel. Bingo! No frizz, none whatsoever whist my hair was wet. This is a big improvement. However, once my hair dried, there was a little crunch on my right side due to my LI. So of course I tried to SOTC with my towel. The result = lots'o frizz on that side! Now, what do I do? I've tried scrunching with my bare hands before and it just doesn't work. I will probably have to actually fish out the bits that need scrunching as opposed to scrunching the whole right section. But other than that, should I try scrunching with a bit of product on my hands? And if so, what?

Thoughts and suggestions? TIA!

jeanniet
October 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
You could try a tiny bit of oil. That's usually what I use if I think I need anything. I don't really scrunch crunch (haha) the way I'd scrunch my hair when it's wet (with a towel)--that is, not upward. I just kind of feel all over my head for spots that need it, and then squeeze a bit without lifting up towards my head. Although now I generally wash at night, plop for a couple of hours, and then put my hair in a silk bonnet overnight, and there's almost no crunch in the morning.

sarahthegemini
October 26th, 2013, 11:44 AM
You could try a tiny bit of oil. That's usually what I use if I think I need anything. I don't really scrunch crunch (haha) the way I'd scrunch my hair when it's wet (with a towel)--that is, not upward. I just kind of feel all over my head for spots that need it, and then squeeze a bit without lifting up towards my head. Although now I generally wash at night, plop for a couple of hours, and then put my hair in a silk bonnet overnight, and there's almost no crunch in the morning.

I've tried oils, but I found that because my oil of choice was so light, I had to keep adding more and it never actually reduced my frizz significantly yet it did make my hair greasier quicker. Whereas heavier oils are too greasy for me straight away :( I will try your scrunching method though - I'll just pick out the bits that need scrunching and I'll try squeezing instead. I think perhaps my towel covers too much surface area and doesn't focus on the indivudal crunchy bits which leads me to scrunching more.

Firefox7275
October 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Ok, so I eliminated glycerin from my RO conditioner, and cut down on how much scrunching I was doing on wet hair with my MF towel. Bingo! No frizz, none whatsoever whist my hair was wet. This is a big improvement. However, once my hair dried, there was a little crunch on my right side due to my LI. So of course I tried to SOTC with my towel. The result = lots'o frizz on that side! Now, what do I do? I've tried scrunching with my bare hands before and it just doesn't work. I will probably have to actually fish out the bits that need scrunching as opposed to scrunching the whole right section. But other than that, should I try scrunching with a bit of product on my hands? And if so, what?

Thoughts and suggestions? TIA!

Why is your leave in conditioner causing crunch, do you mean your styling product? Are you sure your hair was 100% bone dry? I sometimes find my hair seems dry, but if I leave it longer it dries more and softens on it's own without SOTC. I also don't necessarily scrunch if it's only small areas, I squeeze them lengthwise or press against my head.

sarahthegemini
October 27th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Why is your leave in conditioner causing crunch, do you mean your styling product? Are you sure your hair was 100% bone dry? I sometimes find my hair seems dry, but if I leave it longer it dries more and softens on it's own without SOTC. I also don't necessarily scrunch if it's only small areas, I squeeze them lengthwise or press against my head.

I'm not sure, I'm assuming it is poor distribution because it definitely doesn't happen every time and when it does happen, it's only on parts of my hair, not my whole head of hair so it must be poor distribution on my part. The minute I feel it's dry, I scrunch but perhaps I should wait an extra 20 minutes to be absolutely sure. If the scrunch doesn't soften on its own, I'll try squeezing instead.

Firefox7275
October 27th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure, I'm assuming it is poor distribution because it definitely doesn't happen every time and when it does happen, it's only on parts of my hair, not my whole head of hair so it must be poor distribution on my part. The minute I feel it's dry, I scrunch but perhaps I should wait an extra 20 minutes to be absolutely sure. If the scrunch doesn't soften on its own, I'll try squeezing instead.

Leave it another hour or two, you might be surprised. IIRC you are using plenty of protein and that can slow drying time.

sarahthegemini
October 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Leave it another hour or two, you might be surprised. IIRC you are using plenty of protein and that can slow drying time.

I had no idea!

Firefox7275
October 27th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I had no idea!

I guess that is why protein can act as a heat protectant, other humectants (glycerin and propylene glycol) can too.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/03/moisture-issue-proteins-and-moisture.html