PDA

View Full Version : How to determine waist or hip?

tetisheri72
October 25th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I'm trying to figure out exactly if I have waist length or hip length hair, or if I am in between. I can figure hip, because it's right on top of my hip bones, or whichever of my uneven hip bones I choose to use, but waist is harder for me. I figure it's subjective, as none of us have a waist in the same place, but I just don't know how to do it.

I'm sure this is a silly question, and it's been asked and answered many time before, but really want to know.

Magalo
October 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Answered this a couple of days earlier! Waist is the narrowest part of your torso. If you can't see your waist (straight body type/extra fat/being a guy etc.), bend forward and to the side, your waist is where it creases. :) It's usually 2-4" inches over your navel.

GeoJ
October 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I call waist the part that looks the narrowest from the back view. It's subjective, and that point seems to vary depending on even simple things like water retention, on me anyway. I think some people choose it in other ways, like where the waistband of their pants sits (as long the pants rise above the hips).

Leeloo
October 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I'm trying to figure out exactly if I have waist length or hip length hair, or if I am in between. I can figure hip, because it's right on top of my hip bones, or whichever of my uneven hip bones I choose to use, but waist is harder for me. I figure it's subjective, as none of us have a waist in the same place, but I just don't know how to do it.

I'm sure this is a silly question, and it's been asked and answered many time before, but really want to know.

Waist is two fingers width above belly button. So if you put your index and middle finger together and on edge above your belly button, that's natural waist.

tetisheri72
October 25th, 2013, 08:43 PM
See, I knew it would have been asked and answered. I really did look. Thank you so much! :)

ETA: See, that's part of what was throwing me. I wear all my pants right above my hip bones, it's not comfortable to me higher up. That makes sense to me.

ETA2: Makes sense. So, I'm much closer to hip than waist, which is what I thought.

Tini'sNewHair
October 25th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Ok heres another question but a very bad one - where is mid back? :s

sweetinlace
October 25th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I've realized recently, to my surprise, that a lot of people don't know where there waist is. I've asked many people I know where they thought their waist was, and they always point a couple inches below their waist.

Like the others had said, your waist is the narrowest part of your torso. On women, it's found above the navel (if I'm remembering correctly, it's lower on men). If you are having trouble finding it, tie a string around your torso somewhat tight and bend in all directions (forward, backward, and side to side). The string should then situate itself on your waist.

MaryMarx
October 26th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Waist is two fingers width above belly button. So if you put your index and middle finger together and on edge above your belly button, that's natural waist.

So waist doesn't have to be the narrowest part of the torso?
For me, my narrowest part is at the same height as my belly button. :)

Libbylou
October 26th, 2013, 02:10 AM
When I went for my wellness check up they measured my waist at the belly button. Not the smallest part of my torso.

Heni
October 26th, 2013, 02:22 AM
On me, my waist is where my hipbone starts and theres exactly my belly button too :rolleyes: :cool:

Panth
October 26th, 2013, 02:53 AM
I've realized recently, to my surprise, that a lot of people don't know where there waist is. I've asked many people I know where they thought their waist was, and they always point a couple inches below their waist.

Like the others had said, your waist is the narrowest part of your torso. On women, it's found above the navel (if I'm remembering correctly, it's lower on men). If you are having trouble finding it, tie a string around your torso somewhat tight and bend in all directions (forward, backward, and side to side). The string should then situate itself on your waist.

This is the best way to find your waist. Note that this is "waist" in terms of dressmaking. I think it is the definition that is used here. Many people get confused because the fashion for trousers has been so low-rise for so many years - they think that waist must be where the waistband of their trousers sits, when really that hasn't been true for decades.

Hip is also contentious. Most people here use the top of the iliac crest. (Dressmaking "hip" measurements are at the widest point on the hips/bottom/thighs when the feet are shoulder-width apart. On me, that's actually the fattest point of the thigh and nowhere near my actual pelvis.)

donnalouise
October 26th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Ah great topic, i don't feel so dumb now for not knowing my hair was actually at hip and not waist as i thought. My hair is 32inches long and about 3 inches above tailbone length, i almost skipped "hip" entirely ;).

Tini'sNewHair
October 26th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Here is the best visual chart i found to meassure length
http://www.hairmilk.com/hair-length-chart

Emichiee
October 26th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Don't think it has been mentioned but waist line is often close to the elbows. So that is a good way to double check.

I usually take pictures from the back to determine what length I am at. You could take a picture without a shirt to see for yourself where your waist and your hair is :).

I classified myself as hip length once my hair had met the widest part above my tailbone judging from a picture.

Flor
October 26th, 2013, 04:56 AM

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj356/hairmilk/hairlengthchart.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if bra STRAP (BSL) is supposed to mean the place where bra straps attach to bra band. Back in the day bra bands were quite thick (and still are on some styles), because they weren't very stretchy, if at all. Maybe it was easier to call it that without specifying if it's top or bottom edge of the band. Otherwise wouldn't they call it Bra Band Length (BBL)??

That would mean that we all got it wrong when it comes to BSL ;)

Tini'sNewHair
October 26th, 2013, 05:07 AM
http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj356/hairmilk/hairlengthchart.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if bra STRAP (BSL) is supposed to mean the place where bra straps attach to bra band. Back in the day bra bands were quite thick (and still are on some styles), because they weren't very stretchy, if at all. Maybe it was easier to call it that without specifying if it's top or bottom edge of the band. Otherwise wouldn't they call it Bra Band Length (BBL)??

That would mean that we all got it wrong when it comes to BSL ;)

Yes i actually found THIS photo that calls it BSB and that is actually how i meassure this length because some bras i have does have a wider/thicker strap so meassuring the TOP of the bra strap IS the best most accurate way for me
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/MayasMommy7nov/NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg (http://s298.photobucket.com/user/MayasMommy7nov/media/NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg.html)
The photo was found on this page just for refference. BSB - BELLOW SHOULDER BLADE
http://www.fancyflairlady.com/2011_09_01_archive.html

Tini'sNewHair
October 26th, 2013, 05:11 AM
I'm already past my shoulder blade which puts me to MBL. I had no idea before because i always meassured BSL to be at the bottom of my bra strap but like i said, i have some bras with very thick bands which i wear most of the times.

Tini'sNewHair
October 26th, 2013, 05:14 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/MayasMommy7nov/hairlengthchartcopy.jpg (http://s298.photobucket.com/user/MayasMommy7nov/media/hairlengthchartcopy.jpg.html)

And in this picture, they show the bottom of the bra strap to be MBL :O

Tini'sNewHair
October 26th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Heres another picture to show BSB, so yeah this is exactly how i meassure BSL
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/MayasMommy7nov/esHairLengthApproximationChart-vi.jpg (http://s298.photobucket.com/user/MayasMommy7nov/media/esHairLengthApproximationChart-vi.jpg.html)

chen bao jun
October 26th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Waist and hip is clear from the various photos. (and the best way to find your waist is the string method detailed above, since many women nowadays don't have curves like the women in the photos. since women's athletics is so much more prevalent and also, frankly, people in general weigh so much than they used to in the fifties or even the seventies, the hour glass figure type is not the dominant body type for women anymore and it can be much harder to find your waist if that's not your figure type).
Bra strap is, in my opinion, not a good marker as people wear their bras all kinds of ways and I find that on me, depending on the kind of bra I have on and how tightly the straps are pulled up, it is in different places. Also, men don't wear bras and some of them have long hair. I tend to measure by my shoulder blades, as they stay in the same place.

faellen
October 26th, 2013, 08:09 AM
When I went for my wellness check up they measured my waist at the belly button. Not the smallest part of my torso.

Probably because they measure by waistband rather than actual waist. As Panth mentioned, dressmaking and fashion have just confused the issue :p

tetisheri72
October 26th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I would have pointed below my waist too. But, now I know why my pants all ride up to my belly button.

tetisheri72
October 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Excellent! Saving it so I will know for sure next time.

Ocelan
October 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Where people have said that BSL changes based on whether the bra band is thinner or thicker I believe it doesn't change the measurement much if the bra is well-fitting if you measure from the bottom of the bra band. I have bras that have thin and thick bands and the bottom of the band always seems to magically be at about the same spot, which is at the level which corresponds to where the bottom of the breasts are in front. I have some bandeau bras with very thick bands and it's always the top of the band that changes position from bra to bra, not the bottom. So I find the bottom of bra band is an excellent marker for BSL. This of course do not include some corset type longline bras.

So basically BSL is where the bottom of the breasts are for a woman. We are all built in different ways, but that's about it now that I think of it. If you have bigger/saggier boobs then BSL is about where the crease on the bottom of the boobs is (not the height where the lowest part of the breasts hang).

Ocelan
October 26th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Where people have said that BSL changes based on whether the bra band is thinner or thicker I believe it doesn't change the measurement much if the bra is well-fitting if you measure from the bottom of the bra band. I have bras that have thin and thick bands and the bottom of the band always seems to magically be at about the same spot, which is at the level which corresponds to where the bottom of the breasts are in front. I have some bandeau bras with very thick bands and it's always the top of the band that changes position from bra to bra, not the bottom. So I find the bottom of bra band is an excellent marker for BSL. This of course do not include some corset type longline bras.

So basically BSL is where the bottom of the breasts are for a woman. We are all built in different ways, but that's about it now that I think of it. If you have bigger/saggier boobs then BSL is about where the crease on the bottom of the boobs is (not the height where the lowest part of the breasts hang).

chen bao jun
October 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Trust me, this is not going so work so well for most women over fifty. I won't need to elaborate for some of you and some of you will find out what I mean in a few years.
Everyone can measure how they want, but I repeat that the bottom of the shoulder blade is a measurement that stays the same. And it works for men, too. and braless women (who do exist). However, it may be harder to abbreviate. SBB, anyone?
Of course, its in different places on different people, but so is everything else in this system.

Panth
October 27th, 2013, 12:07 PM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/MayasMommy7nov/hairlengthchartcopy.jpg (http://s298.photobucket.com/user/MayasMommy7nov/media/hairlengthchartcopy.jpg.html)

And in this picture, they show the bottom of the bra strap to be MBL :O

Hmmm.... this one is confusing the matter by using dressmaker's hip, not the more common iliac crest. That makes hip after TBL and nearly the same as classic. O_O

Waist is about in the right place, though...

sweetinlace
October 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I agree that BSL should be level with the bottom of the breasts (or the crease as mentioned before). A bra should not ride up in the back. If it does, it is the wrong band size. Another thing that our culture struggles with today.

oatmealpie
October 28th, 2013, 11:25 AM
And where is hip? Is it the widest part of your body, where your body creases when you sit down, or do you use the hip bone for reference?

Panth
October 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM
And where is hip? Is it the widest part of your body, where your body creases when you sit down, or do you use the hip bone for reference?

I think most people use iliac crest (the top of the pelvis) as "hip" for hair. If you use dressmaker's hip (the widest part of your body between your belly button and your knees) then on almost everyone you would have hip as being after TBL and maybe even the same as or after classic. Most people tend to put hip as being between BSL and TBL.

florenonite
November 3rd, 2013, 05:30 AM
I don't see the base of the shoulder blades as an adequate replacement for BSL/MBL, because for me, at least, it's closer to APL than anywhere else*, and it's 5-6" above waist length. Not only is that close to a year's growth, but there is a vast difference in what I can do with my hair at BSB and what I can do at WL. That's not to say I don't think it's a useful measurement - it is, and I use it - just that I think we still need something for the vast expanse of back between the shoulder blades and the waist. For myself, I made the executive decision to call BSL/MBL 26", because that's halfway between BSB and WL and falls around the middle of my bra band.

*I've not measured recently, so I don't remember perfectly, but my numbers are something like this:
APL: 21"
BSB: 23-24"
BSL: 26" (though the actual bottom-of-bra-band measure is closer to 27")
WL: 29"