PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Pink Hair

motormuffin
October 24th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Can anyone tell me the safest way to color my hair pink for Halloween? I was thinking spray on or chalk. Help!

CoyoteSarah
October 24th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Chalk can be very messy, especially if you dont go over it with a flat iron apparently. It shows up best on light colored hair. Spray on only really looks good when your hair is up, imo but it also covers darker colors and wont end up all over as much. Can look kinda crappy though.:/ You can get both at walmart or beauty stores, halloween stores,etc. When it comes to temporary funky hair, I go for wigs or clip in/tie in w/ribbon extensions. Amazon has a few cool ones and also google 'pink cosplay wig'.I saw a 60cm purple clip in, for adding ombre type color under your hair on Amazon the other day that I'm sooo tempted to buy but pink is super cute too! lol

CoyoteSarah
October 24th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Also, with spray, I've had trouble removing it before so, that may be a concern. Then again with chalk, youre rubbing it back and forth into your hair.... hmm

Rio040113
October 25th, 2013, 12:31 AM
I agree with the idea of a wig or clip in, you can get some really cheap ones on ebay etc :) The hair chalks and sprays can be pretty drying from what I hear, especially the chalks. If you don't mind the colour lasting a little while you could use Manic Panic or something similar? I guess it depends how much of your hair needs to be pink :p

red-again
October 25th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Be very careful about using a semi perm in pink on your hair. Pinks are notably hard to remove.
There are some very long pink wigs out there though as others have suggested, that would save your beautiful hair. Look for extra long wig etc

Good luck

PrincessIdril
October 25th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I use hair chalk myself sometimes (usually purple or pink, haven't tried out my blue one yet) so here is my take on it.
Pros: lots of fun colours, easy to apply (use the same motion you use when brushing for best results), pretty easy to remove and cheap

Cons: Rather messy (you need a towel under your hair when applying and it will get covered with the stuff, and you need to "massage" it into your hair so your hands get covered as well) and hairspray is needed to set it. Also if you use a lot (which is needed to get a vibrant colour on darker hair) it can transfer onto your skin/clothes (but it does wash off easily). Can also take a while to apply.

As for the drying issue, I find that if you only do it occasionally and use leave in before applying the chalk it doesn't have a noticeable drying effect on the hair. Your hair colour looks pretty similar to mine so you should be able to get a fairly decent colour pretty easily and if you use proper hair chalk (not chalk pastels which is something I see a lot online) it will wash out easily (might take 2 rounds of shampoo) and there shouldn't be any issues. Just make sure you keep your hair dry until you are ready to wash out, the chalks I use warn of potential staining if the chalked hair gets wet, I'm not sure how much of a risk that really is though. I find chalk works best when doing streaks or the tips for a dip-dye effect. (never tried to colour all of my hair, I think that would be a pain to try)

As for spray, well I used it once as a teen and it washed out alright (and I was using a jet black one). But again I was only using it for a dip dye effect. A friend of mine used it a couple of years ago for a costume and she used white to colour all her hair. It worked pretty well but we did use the entire can and her hair was a lot shorter than yours. So you will need several cans! But spray is pretty quick to do.

TL:DR So if you don't want a wig or clip in extensions I would say that chalk or spray would be a good option. Do you want to colour all of your hair? If so I would suggest spray and several cans (or stick your hair in an updo and spray that, much quicker and uses less!) Chalk if you want streaks or dip dye