PDA

View Full Version : I need Advice PICS included.

susieq998
October 24th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I have heavily layered hair that i want to grow out due to a bad haircut 6 months ago. Is there any advice on how to deal with easily damaged hair while growing it out. should i just cut it all one length and start over. Ive tried to bring myself to cutting them but i think i would have a meltdown if it was cut any shorter.:( But anyways how to i grow out these layers that i hate and still grow my hair long and healthy. My hair was cut because it was so damaged but the lady for some reason thought i want a collarbone length cut with ALOT of layers which is not what i wanted at all. I cried about it for a week when i first got it. sorry the picture quality sucks its from my phone. what products do you recommend for fine hair to keep it healthy prevent split ends and breakage? My hair tends to be protein sensitive so i have to stay away from leave ins with protein. How to wear your hair up without causing breakage. I just need some advice from someone with alot of experience with hair. Also how often should i trim my hair while growing it out.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/fda3/IMAG2250.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/fda3/IMAG2243.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/fda3/IMAG2194.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/fda3/IMAG2174.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/fda3/IMAG2168.jpg

susieq998
October 24th, 2013, 11:16 PM
oh and how long do you think it will take to start evening out?

starlamelissa
October 25th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Your hair looks good to me, shiny and thick. It should grow fine. :) I'd only trim when the ends are bad.

AnqeIicDemise
October 25th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I've grown something similar out. It took me about four years with frequent micro trimming. Every month I'd trim off about quarter of an inch to half an inch But we're talking from a little shorter than you are now to TBL. A few of the 'trims' I did were more full hair cuts, but.. yeah.

The hardest part is finding up dos that hold all the layers without turning into a pin cushion and bobby pins... but it can work. It CAN be done. You just have to have patience.

Right now I'm running into the issue that the last inch and a half are the old layers and I'm finding a lot of splits ETA: mind you, these are layers that have not been cut since 4 years ago and are currently bleached. By a lot I mean, less than a handful, but that is a lot considering I'm used to not seeing very many at all. [/eta]. I may end up cutting them off, or putting in some long layers now that I have J, a stylist I trust.

as far as products are concerned, I don't know. My hair is medium thickness....

bananahanna
October 25th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I don't see anything really wrong with your hair. the layers will take a while to grow out, maybe 9-12 no tha depending on your growth rate? but just as others said: micro trim the length while letting the layers grow. I like coconut oil on my damaged ends it always helped them feel better and the white dots were less noticeable. it doesn't work for everyone but I would suggest trying a light oiling in the tips.

Flor
October 25th, 2013, 02:14 AM
It's always the same list of care tips. Oil, mild shampoo, not brushing wet, satin pillow case, protective updos, etc, etc. Read the forum and see what works for you.

As for layers, you may like them better when your hair gets longer (if you do want it longer, that is).

restless
October 25th, 2013, 03:06 AM
I dont have any good advice here, I just wanted to say; look at that shine! I think your hair looks very pretty and you have nothing to feel bad about. Your layers will grow out fine, just give it some time :)

jacqueline101
October 25th, 2013, 07:44 AM
When I had layers at first I let them grow after that I started trimming my hair to match the longest layer. I kept doing that until it grew out. I wore a basic bun or French twist with a claw clip. Those styles layers didn't matter too much a bun in my case was done damp and placed a snood over it.

PinkyCat
October 25th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Holy shiny batman!
I had the same thing happen a couple years ago. First of all - deep breath, everything will be ok.
Your hair is just like my husband's. Ugh so gorgeous!
Don't chop - I did - and yes I had a meltdown. Learn how to self-trim and get a good pair of hair shears. Then you are completely in control of how much comes off when you trim. Tons of YouTube tutorials out there. HTH.

joflakes
October 25th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I have. No other advice but just wanted to say that your hair is amazing!

bunzfan
October 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM
You will get there!! trust me :D been there done that i grew it from your length to as long as i could stand it MBL and trimmed back up to BSL longest layer then grew down to waist and started micro trimming /maintaining took about another 6 months it really depends how you want to do it, if you started micro trimming the tiniest amount now you would get rid of them sooner or you could do what i did and plenty others have done it depends how soon you want them gone. Good luck looks in great condition.

Panth
October 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
The difference in length between your longest layer and the next-longest layer looks to be about 6", is that right? If so, then with an average growth rate (0.5" per month) you could be completely grown out to a blunt cut that is the same length as your longest layer within about 12 months, 18 months certainly. This would simply require measuring your growth rate and then cutting off all the equivalent of the new growth every month or two from your longest layer only. If you want to grow out the cut AND gain length at the same time, it will take longer as you would not cut off all of your month's growth and thus the difference between your layers would take longer to disappear.

In either case, you could trim yourself to minimise the likelihood of miscommunication with hairdressers. You could either use Feye's self-trim method and/or a Crea clip. Many people here use these methods very successfully. You just need some very sharp scissors which are only ever used on hair (as paper, cardboard, etc. will blunt them and blunt scissors can actually cause split ends).

As for growing out without splits and breakage, well, that's more a matter of what you don't do than what you do. If you are doing regular trims, your longest layer should remain fairly split-free. The shorter layers may be problematic, depending on your current and past routine. May I ask: do you dye your hair and do you use heat styling tools?

Liz_park
October 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hey there,

I can empathize with your concern over layers -- I am currently growing out layers from a hair stylist "misunderstanding" :)

I would NOT recommend a big chop to the shortest layer. It's tempting, but it will a) make you feel even more unhappy b) when it grows out, it will inevitably have taper, which you will have to trim anyhow to get it to be a blunt cut.

I recommend trimming about 1/2 an inch to 1 inch every 3-4 months off of the bottom. Don't touch the layers, just let those grow. This way your hair length will continue to grow out and you'll remove the layers gradually and won't suffer the stress of a big chop.

I would recommend investing in a sharp pair of scissors and learning Feyes self-trim method. I would not go to a stylist. I find that no matter what you say to a stylist, no matter how many pictures you show them or how you explain that you want a blunt cut, they always seem to cut even more layers and they trim far too much. If you self trim you control exactly how much you trim.

I think you should be able to have it all one length in about a year. In the meantime, just care for it gently :)

susieq998
October 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I stopped dying my hair about 7-8 months ago. But the color is not that different the bottom is a little bit darker than the new growth since i stop dying. I also stopped using heat about a year ago. I used to blow dry my hair everyday. Now i always air dry it. Trying my best to mimimize damage while trying to grow it out. I mainly just try to leave it alone.

summergreen
October 25th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Your hair looks lovely and healthy - I would just grow it to a length you like and then micro trim the longest layer if you want to get rid of the layers (although I think the layers will look great when your hair is longer, it's so nice and thick) :)

vindo
October 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM
When I started growing, my hair was pretty layered. I had tried out a certain technique where you tie a ponytail at the forehead and snip the tail off at nose length. When you flip your hair back it is layered from nose length all the way down (to midback length for me then).

Anyhow...I started growing out the layered hair and did not worry much about the layers, but at a certain longer length it looked "thinned" and not intentional. And since I also wanted to grow longer, I decided to even up my hemline with monthly trims first.

I posted about it in detail on my blog: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
And I have included a few older pictures of me with more layered hair (not as short as yours, granted, but you can still see progress).
Or you can take a look at my signature, where I show how effective this method can be with hair thinned from hair loss.

Since then (2007), I have used this method of trimming again and again with great success. It also see many more longhairs on the forums choosing microtrims over a big chop.
If you chop and simply regrow your hair will taper on the way down since only a certain percentage of your hair is growing, while the other parts of your hair are in the resting or shedding phase. Hairs also grow at different speeds and all have different lengths to begin with. Only a certain amount is actually at [insert your length here].

BUT, your ends, even when thin can later add to the thickness you are growing down. So if you try to even out layers or thinning by trimming off a certain small amount every month.

I understand why some may chose a chop for a faster result. I have resorted to bigger trims myself when I felt I just don't have a good basis for trimming (too thinned for example). But at your length it should gain thickness fast. Your layered bits are not much higher up there and I assume it will look pretty good after a half year and maybe not even be noticeable after a year that you had so many layers :)