PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else's hair like this?

JuskarBellerose
October 24th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I have been trying to grow out my hair since July 2013.
Before, I had Mid-Back Length hair, but it was so damaged by the constant bleaching and coloring...
I decided on July 4th, 2013 to just butcher it all off. So, I went from Mid-Back Length to a Bob.
I don't regret anything, because I want my hair to appear healthy.
Hair can never BE healthy, because of what our body intakes. It can only appear healthy.
I had to get a blunt cut on August 6th, so, it could grow in one length and not strange looking.
I have a picture of me in my extensions and it was a week or so after the cut.
I have been told many times by hairstylists and my own cosmetology teacher (I'm no longer in cosmetology),
that my hair grows back faster than average.

I was wearing extensions in this photo.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/juskarbellerose/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps37c37c05.jpg

I just took this photo today, just to compare with this photo.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/juskarbellerose/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4d50e1c5.jpg

Does anyone else have fast hair growth as well? I know that there has to be a couple of you guys/gals out there!
Please share pictures if you have any.

vindo
October 24th, 2013, 08:03 PM
The best way to tell is to measure how much growth you get monthly.

Mine is definitely faster than the average 0.39 inches/ 1cm a month. It grows 0.74 inches/ 1.9cm a month right now, so it took me two months to grow from hip length to tailbone length after a trim (see my siggie), and it took me 3 years and ten months to grow all my henna out at tailbone length, so that is how long it would take me to grow to TBL too.

But from what I read here many LHCers have record fast growth! So what my hair grew is probably nothing in comparison.

JuskarBellerose
October 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Your hair is so beautiful! :D That is a good amount of growth! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I knew one girl that grew her hair from shoulder to tailbone, but it took her 8 years to grow out!

NymphSpirit
October 24th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Okaaaay... let's think... I started growing in february 2010, but then I was still frying my hair so the growth wasn't good (I don't really like considering this time part of my real growing since it was SO DAMAGED.)... then in nov 2011 I joined the LHC, burned the hair dye and the hot tools.... I was at apl by then. I reached bsl in april 2012. At december 2012 I was getting to waist and I reached hip about four months ago. Then in july I chopped like a madwoman and went back to longish bsl. God do I hate bsl... Now I'm on my merry way to solid waist and beyond again.

April 2012 (http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u636/lyra466/julaisincepillar_zps41e2757e.jpg)

Dec 2012/Jan 2013 (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/312378_376805219082953_552208608_n.jpg)

March 2013 (http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u636/lyra466/2marzo2013_zpse1681dbd.jpg)

And that's the most recent picture I've got in this computer.

If I'm not insane it's about 1 year and 7 months from apl to hip, or 2 years and 2 months from chin to hip. (This all without trims)

I'm confused by what you said about hair not being able to BE healthy because of our intakes. Mind explaining?

OT: Emichiee I can recognize your hair from your dec 2011 photo (I remember I was quite surprised by your progress post then!) but i'd never seen your face, you're gorgeous! :thud:

Tini'sNewHair
October 24th, 2013, 11:11 PM
You guys are so lucky to have hair that grows fast. I was at chin length in May 2012 when i first chopped mine and now at present day im at a little bit passed BSL (about 26.4 inches on me). I feel like its taking forever, do you think my hair grows slow? I hate the BSL stage so much :(

AmyBeth
October 24th, 2013, 11:27 PM
I have to enjoy such fast growth only vicariously. Mine will only give me little less than 1/2 inch per month.
Emi and Bellerose- you're both just beautiful to look at!

BlazingHeart
October 25th, 2013, 01:08 AM
If I'm not having health problems, about 14" a year is normal for me, so roughly three times the average growth rate. However, I do have a lot of health issues, including thyroid problems and auto-immune issues that can stop my hair in its tracks (and cause shedding). Because of them, I've gotten a bit less than half my normal for the past 2 1/2 years. I think if you add it all up, I've had about a year of ZERO growth thanks to my health. It's weird, it'll completely stop because of a health thing, and I get the health thing resolved, and it grows just as fast as it always has...and then something else goes wrong and it comes to a screeching halt again.

AnqeIicDemise
October 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM
My hair grows insanely fast too. Perhaps not as fast as some of you ladies (and gents if there are any).. and I kind of hate it. I can't ever do an all over color to change my all over look because I have to go get a touch up in two weeks. 1) I don't have the money 2) I don't have the time.

-sigh-

My inner red head is saddened at this knowledge. Demmit.

didrash
October 25th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I have the average growth rate I think, I don't really measure. Just wanted to say that you are very cute and pretty!

sarahthegemini
October 25th, 2013, 04:20 AM
I'm jealous, my hair grows ridiculously slow.

Flor
October 25th, 2013, 04:28 AM
You should try measuring it. From the pics, it looks like an average 1/2 inch per month growth rate to me.

dwell_in_safety
October 25th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I think my hair grows decently fast? Maybe a little over average. I've never measured the growth rate, but it went from just past shoulder to hip in 23 months, with trimming off about 2 inches over that time. My virgin hair is now just past my shoulders after being last dyed two years ago, so it seems I can grow from the top of my head to my hips in about 4 years. That seems pretty quick to me. It wouldn't if I were short, but I'm definitely not.

ETA: it does seem odd that it takes two years for hair to grow just past my shoulders, then just the same to grow from there to my hips. I am tall and well-proportioned, do not have a short trunk. I guess curvature of the head accounts for more distance than it seems like. I remember it seeming to take forever for my roots to reach the tops of my ears, where my natural color was really apparent with my hair up, and then from there it's seemed to grow quicker.

jacqueline101
October 25th, 2013, 07:49 AM
I'm jealous, my hair grows ridiculously slow.

So does mine even with Monistat.

JuskarBellerose
October 25th, 2013, 07:55 AM
I'm confused by what you said about hair not being able to BE healthy because of our intakes. Mind explaining?

I love[B] your ombre!
What I meant by that is what we put into our bodies (such as food, cigarettes, drugs, fluid, etc..), it will go into our hair.
The chemicals from those materials will effect your hair in a good or bad way.
That's why our hair can appear healthy with shine and "life" to it.
When hair is growing and pushing through, it is alive;
When it stops, it dies.
So it doesn't really have health if hair is already dead.

When I was still in cosmetology, we were learning about perms.
My cosmetology teacher talked about one of her male clients that received that service all the time.
Until one day, she smelled something very familiar.
The man had smoked the night before, and that effected the service.
His hair started to melt, and just fell off.

You guys are so lucky to have hair that grows fast. I was at chin length in May 2012 when i first chopped mine and now at present day im at a little bit passed BSL (about 26.4 inches on me). I feel like its taking forever, do you think my hair grows slow? I hate the BSL stage so much :(

I don't believe it's slow at all. Our hair goes through three phases: anagen, catagen, and telogen.
About 90% of our scalp hair is in the anagen phase which is the growing phase. It can last up to 3-5 years (up to 10 for others).
This is why many people can't grow past a certain length at times.
The longer the scalp hair is in the anagen phase, the more growth.
About 1% of our hair is in the catagen phase which is the transitioning phase (between resting and growing).
It can last up to 2-3 weeks.
Finally, 10% of our scalp hair is in the telogen phase which is the resting phase. This is when our hair sheds so new growth can poke through.
It can last up to three or six months.

So, your hair is [B]perfect ! :D

I have to enjoy such fast growth only vicariously. Mine will only give me little less than 1/2 inch per month.

It's better than no growth at all! Thank you, AmyBeth! :)

Flor
October 25th, 2013, 08:13 AM
What I meant by that is what we put into our bodies (such as food, cigarettes, drugs, fluid, etc..), it will go into our hair.
When it stops, it dies.

I was wondering what you meant too and frankly this confused me further more. The logic is from some other planet.

Maybe you meant to say that hair that's already on our heads can't be MADE healthy, since it's not a living organism? It can only be made to LOOK better? And only new growth can be MADE better by healthy lifestyle choices? That I understand and agree with.

The story about the man who's hair your teacher melted is a complete BS though, sorry.

JuskarBellerose
October 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I have the average growth rate I think, I don't really measure. Just wanted to say that you are very cute and pretty!

Thank you! :D

You should try measuring it. From the pics, it looks like an average 1/2 inch per month growth rate to me.

I just measured from my eyelash to the ends of my bangs, and they're a bit over 2 inches.
:)

I was wondering what you meant too and frankly this confused me further more. The logic is from some other planet.

Maybe you meant to say that hair that's already on our heads can't be MADE healthy, since it's not a living organism? It can only be made to LOOK better? And only new growth can be MADE better by healthy lifestyle choices? That I understand and agree with.

The story about the man who's hair your teacher melted is a complete BS though, sorry.

I apologize for confusing everyone on that!
And the story was just what I heard from her 40+ years of experience.
There's no need to apologize! :)

vindo
October 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Your hair is so beautiful! :D That is a good amount of growth! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I knew one girl that grew her hair from shoulder to tailbone, but it took her 8 years to grow out!

That does seem quite long! Maybe she trimmed a lot? Of course when you trim you will chop some of the growth.

OT: Emichiee I can recognize your hair from your dec 2011 photo (I remember I was quite surprised by your progress post then!) but i'd never seen your face, you're gorgeous! :thud:

Thank you :o, that was my hair just after pregnancy when it had recovered from my first hair loss episode. But then I had my postpartum shed and the whole things started all over again. I think I will have to wait until after kids to have my even thickness back. Right now I am just a big ball of regrowth :rolleyes:.

It is best to measure the monthly growth using a tape. Do you know the method where you place it at your forehead hair line, over your head and down your back? I have demonstrated it in this old video: click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI) (although it is more focused on trimming after hair loss)

Thanks again :oops:. 0.39 inches a month are average. So it sounds like you are a bit above average even! That is more than enough to grow long soon enough. I know there are longhairs that grow extremely fast, but it is certainly not the rule. On my forum most longhairs grow at an average rate.

Btw. I certainly had times when my growth was not as fast. When I started out on LHC it was 1.7 cm, when I was ill it was more around 1.2-1.5 cm and since improving my health and diet it has be growing very fast with 1.9cm. A nutrient dense diet with lots of fruits, veggies and quality meat is certainly better than loading up on Pasta, breads and dairy, which means you won't get enough nutrients from other foods.

When it stops, it dies.

What is meant by "healthy" hair is hair that is well "preserved" even as it grows longer. So still close to its virgin state (like your roots) and not weathered. It is true that hair itself is dead, but it is connected to a very alive scalp :lol:, so we can influence the quality of the hair that grows and then try to keep it in that good state over years and years (just like a wool sweater that you will handle and wash carefully)

We all have toxins all throughout our body, but in a healthy individual the body does a pretty good job at detoxing. That does not make us unhealthy as a whole though...toxins are everywhere. it is just when they take over that the body can not handle it anymore and is regarded as sick. This in turn will affect the health of the hair that your scalp produces.

When I was still in cosmetology, we were learning about perms.
My cosmetology teacher talked about one of her male clients that received that service all the time.
Until one day, she smelled something very familiar.
The man had smoked the night before, and that effected the service.
His hair started to melt, and just fell off.

Before studying hair and skin biology I was actually training to be a hair stylist and going to school. Some of the knowledge there was very basic and quite often students remembered it a bit wrong and then passed on the half truth to clients (like splits will eat their way up your hair shaft)

That man's hair might have been affected by something else and that was maybe the only way she could explain it to him. I'm sure she did not want to be blamed ;-)

ladonna
October 25th, 2013, 05:04 PM
My hair grows fast, but its also dries out and get's split ends fast. If any heat or box dye comes close to my hair it get scares and shivels up and dies. THe grass ain't always greener on the other side.

bunzfan
October 26th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Been told mine grows fast grew from waist to hip in three months.

hairaddiction
October 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Mine grows relatively fast at about three quarters of an inch a month. But I baby my hair, eat very healthy and take supplements. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. :o

nakima
October 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM
it has taken my hair 2 years and 8 months to get from apl to just touching hip and last year I took off aprox 4 inches (over time ) from S and Ding and micromtrims :( it needed it though :) so Im guessing I get abt the average 1/2 inch a month.

JuskarBellerose
November 19th, 2013, 08:57 PM
it has taken my hair 2 years and 8 months to get from apl to just touching hip and last year I took off aprox 4 inches (over time ) from S and Ding and micromtrims :( it needed it though :) so Im guessing I get abt the average 1/2 inch a month.

That is still really great growth! I'm hoping someday to reach hip, but I have to reach apl first! I'm getting there!;)

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/juskarbellerose/IMG_0921_zps95878993.jpg

LauraLongLocks
November 19th, 2013, 09:13 PM
That is still really great growth! I'm hoping someday to reach hip, but I have to reach apl first! I'm getting there!;)

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/juskarbellerose/IMG_0921_zps95878993.jpg

I'm sure it was just a typo, but I think it's amazing that you got a picture, almost a year into the future. ;) :P

That is great growth! Congratulations!

JuskarBellerose
November 19th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I'm sure it was just a typo, but I think it's amazing that you got a picture, almost a year into the future. ;) :P

That is great growth! Congratulations!

Oh my gosh! Thank you for pointing that out! I was just so excited to show the world, that I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing. :doh:

0xalis
November 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I think my hair grows average [half an inch a month] almost exactly with the occasional boost. I wish my hair would just grow an inch a month... even 3/4ths an inch! Any little extra boost would be the best thing ever :(

JuskarBellerose
November 19th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I think my hair grows average [half an inch a month] almost exactly with the occasional boost. I wish my hair would just grow an inch a month... even 3/4ths an inch! Any little extra boost would be the best thing ever :(

Patience and stress-free is the key! :)

~honeyflower~
November 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I think it would be fun to take a picture, everyday, for however long it takes until you get to your goal. Then, make a video of your hair showing the photos in quick speed so you can see your hair growing.

I got the idea from a kid who did this challenge until he graduated from high school. It's on YouTube, but it was interesting to see changes on his face growing from a kid to a teenager in five minutes. I thought, why not do the challenge with hair? Hair can grow in a single day, why not?

bunzfan
November 20th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I have fast growth too i couldn't say my growth rate i never measured it but when i joined it was this length
http://hairgrowthaug2010.jpg (http://imageshack.us/a/img641/8436/hairgrowthaug2010.jpg) that was in 2010 i was almost waist by the following summer but i cut it back up to BSL to rid me of my layers and now 3 years after joining i'm approaching TBL and that's with a lot of trimming in between :D

LauraLongLocks
November 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Oh my gosh! Thank you for pointing that out! I was just so excited to show the world, that I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing. :doh:

Ha ha! It was funny! I hope I didn't offend you in pointing it out.

JuskarBellerose
November 21st, 2013, 07:26 AM
Ha ha! It was funny! I hope I didn't offend you in pointing it out.

Oh no, not at all! I had a good laugh as well! :D

JuskarBellerose
November 21st, 2013, 07:29 AM
I have fast growth too i couldn't say my growth rate i never measured it but when i joined it was this length
http://hairgrowthaug2010.jpg (http://imageshack.us/a/img641/8436/hairgrowthaug2010.jpg) that was in 2010 i was almost waist by the following summer but i cut it back up to BSL to rid me of my layers and now 3 years after joining i'm approaching TBL and that's with a lot of trimming in between :D

I LOVE the texture of your hair! I don't measure as well, I just take pictures to show proof. :)

JuskarBellerose
November 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM
I think it would be fun to take a picture, everyday, for however long it takes until you get to your goal. Then, make a video of your hair showing the photos in quick speed so you can see your hair growing.

I got the idea from a kid who did this challenge until he graduated from high school. It's on YouTube, but it was interesting to see changes on his face growing from a kid to a teenager in five minutes. I thought, why not do the challenge with hair? Hair can grow in a single day, why not?

That sounds like a great idea! I do love taking pictures. :) Should this challenge have a forum of its own?