PDA

View Full Version : Constant Bun and Possible Hair Loss

Valkyriejae
October 23rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
Hello all!

So, lately I've been wearing my hair in a one-stick twisted bun basically all day in order to keep it from rubbing on things.
However, I saw on another thread that putting tension on the same spot of your head can lead to hair loss...
Can anyone elaborate on this? And do you think that letting my hair out of the bun at night (so, roughly 10hours out of the day) would be enough to prevent this? Or changing the bun from a twisted one to a braided one every other day?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest easy other up-styles that would change the tension enough that also don't involve French/Dutch braiding?

Thanks!

Rio040113
October 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
I think changing up the buns position (low bun at your nape, mid bun around ear level, high bun at your crown/on top of your head) helps a lot, as does varying the actual bun you do. I think braided buns or at least buns with a braided base can distribute weight a little better.

Peggy E.
October 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
If the bun you wear at night is a different style bun, as well as located in another section of your head, from the one you wear all day, then you should have no problem with constant stress.

But you don't want to pull too hard when you anchor the twist with the stick - believe me, I know whereas I speak here! You want it a bit loose so it isn't tugging on anything.

Firefox7275
October 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
You are talking about traction alopecia I think. Keep the bun loose and move the position/ twist in different directions not the same each time. You could do a Gibson tuck or a French twist with Spin Pins.

prettyinpink
October 23rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Try making the bun lower some days and higher other days. You could also try a claw clip, they add more support to the weight of all that hair